Is it true? White potatoes are now allowed?

Twilightfirefly

Holy moly,

Looks like its true. To be fair, the mods have always pointed out that removing white potatoes was just about getting people to think differently about food and not just load the plate with spuds instead of pasta or rice or whatever. I still think its probably better to do without them for the 30 days to get the full benefit, but I never thought it was a real sticking point to begin with. As the saying goes, a wise person changes their mind.

• Moderators

Well they published it, so it must be true. Thanks for calling my attention to the change!

Potatoes: Yes!

We changed the official Whole30 rules in August 2014 to include all varieties of potatoes—white, red, Yukon gold, purple, fingerling, baby, sweet potatoes, yams, etc. Feel free to boil, bake, roast, pan-fry, grill, microwave, or steam them, but no commercially prepared or deep-fried potato chips or French fries. (That’s completely against the spirit of the Whole30.)

Tip: White potatoes pack a whole lot of energy into a relatively small package. If you’re overweight, insulin-resistant or otherwise metabolically challenged, and not very active, you don’t need a lot of extra energy on your daily plate. If this is your context, use white potatoes sparingly in your Whole30 meal plan, if at all. Plus, if you eat mashed potatoes with every dinner, you’ll miss out on a world of colorful, nutrient-dense vegetables to explore. Bust out of your potato rut and discover a newfound love of Brussels sprouts, asparagus, or kale!

- See more at: http://whole30.com/2013/06/the-official-can-i-have-guide-to-the-whole30/#sthash.N58pyJNN.dpuf

Seems odd that they would change the can I have post and not post anything else. I wonder if this will be a good change? I am thinking people would eat potatoes three times a day instead of branching out into other veggies.

Well, if white potatoes are allowed, I still think I may avoid them. It's SWYPO for me. I love all forms of potatoes. As I am not married, many a night I would come home from teaching exhausted and would nuke a potato as my dinner. It would be too close to my old way of eating for me to allow in. Curious to see what they say though.

I think that for some this could be bad, but in the same way as fruit. Or nut butter. Or... For me, I am ecstatic because I am on a budget, and my parents have a huge garden and I have beautiful red skinned potatoes available to me for free, and they won't be an every meal, or even every day food for me. It's just great to have another food I can add that my entire family will enjoy...my 8 year old son really dislikes sweet potatoes. :)

Archived