Started July 13th - struggle with alcohol

LisaO

I started W30 with a few friends a couple days ago.  Kicking the booze is the HARDEST for me!  My husband and I regularly drink 2-3 glasses of wine each night.  I needed to reset my body and get my health in perspective.  This is a huge struggle for me!  But the past 3 days have been achievable.  I'm anxious for these cravings to be gone.

• Moderators

A lot of people struggle with this, including myself, and for that w30 has been very instructive. Breaking bad habits and dependence on foods and drink that make you less rather than more healthy is a very good thing. Keep it up!

Hey Lisa - it's tough! I know from personal experience. The only reason I'm now doing my Whole30 is because I successfully managed to stay off of alcohol for a month to start with. As of 5 weeks ago I virtually hadn't had a single booze free day since February (I'm not proud of it but that's the reality I was facing - I was up to a bottle of wine on average in the evening to unwind and de-stress at the end of the day and a lot more at the weekends). I knew I had to change things up but also needed some additional support and encouragement so I signed up at http://hellosundaymorning.org and committed to 3 months off of the booze. And here I am 5 weeks later, alcohol free and doing my whole30 and have taken up running and feel great. HelloSundayMorning is completely free and the community there is very similar to Whole30 - very supportive. I'd definitely recommend checking it out.

You can also follow my own journey there at http://hellosundaymorning.org/magritte

Wishing you all the best with your Whole30.

I struggle with this too, mainly because alcohol is such a part of the social culture with my friends.  I feel so much pressure when I'm around them to drink.  I don't understand why they won't accept a simple "no thanks." They really push alcohol and act like you have to drink to be social.  I feel like I can't see my friends for a month. Or maybe I just need new, more supportive friends. 

It's My first Friday night of this process and I can't tell you how relieved I am to have found your posts. This is something I have been struggling with for a long time and am psyched to have finally found others who feel the same way! I had to stop going out to meet friends for a drink bc I was tired of the shaming they would do. Just wish they could understand I'm Trying to find another way to live that doesn't center on booze. Thank you for sharing , I just checked out hello Sunday morning and can't wait to join in.

This is day 6 for me on Whole 30. Thank you guys for the honesty of these posts, and especially Magritte! Went to the site you recommended and you are making tons of lifestyle changes that are huge. Sounds like you're doing well, and I know its not easy & takes courage.....CONGRATULATIONS! I am finding the red wine in the evenings is my strongest temptation, but have had to endure some tough situations this last week and am feeling REALLY good about that. I'm not giving myself too much credit though - I have a long way to go! Like HSM site describes - -I was feeling like I had slipped from enjoying a nice glass of wine here & there, into "needing" it. Whole 30 is as much about that as eating well for me. Good luck to you all!

I'm starting the whole 30 on August 4th, but am stopping the alcohol now -- actually the last glass was Sunday.  I'll pretty much restrict my foods to go along with that, but not as stringently as once upon the Whole 30.  It's not easy -- the other stuff will be relatively easy, since I prefer whole unprocessed foods anyway.  Wishing success to everyone and Magritte, thanks for that link!  

Yes. .....I am a wino! I also have a husband who shares a passion for wine (he's definitely toned it down and totally supports me but sure does smell when he does have a drink) When I started whole30 last Saturday I was even a bit hung over (vacation- friends in town- happy hour- always an excuse) Yeah- not good. Now I am done with day 4 and ready for day 5. Not missing the wine yet (lattes more) but have many hurdles (anniversary weekend vacation and birthday) that fall within this 30 days. I just would rather hide for 30 days but that wouldn't help me face the reality. I almost even convinced myself that I would allow a glass of wine when we have our anniversary dinner... Like I earned it or something even though it will only be day 15. . .... Still debating ... I know.... I know....

Thanks for being so real everyone!

Archived