Roasting A Whole Duck.

KathyV

I am going to purchase my first duck this weekend from the Farmers Market.  For the last month I have been purchasing his duck eggs(makes great homemade mayo) and what I love about him  is that he feeds/supplements his chickens and ducks soy-free and non-GMO feed!  That is good news for me, and his prices are, I think, affordable: $3-4/ Doz. for both chicken and duck.  I can also purchase them straight from his farm after market season is over:).

Since this is my first time roasting a Duck, I was hoping that any of you guys have recipes, suggestions that you can give me.  I want it to be a good experience.

Thanks in advance,

Kathy

I have always cooked duck hot and fast.. real hot.. but these are wild ducks not domestic. Ask the man your buying  from.  A little salt, pepper and granulated (not powdered) garlic..

Tina R and CaGirl:  My Duck turned out so good!  I checked out the recipe  that Tina R gave me ad combined it with what CaGirl suggested about asking the farmer and this is what I came up with:  I pierced the skin of the duck and rubbed it with half of lemon and placed it along with fresh: Parsley, sage, Rosemary, Basil, two cloves of garlic, one candied onion(small bulb-type onion) half of an orange, into the cavity and did not season the outside. 

I was surprised that there is barley enough meat for two:(  I was hoping a duck would have just as much meat as a chicken!   And the duck fat is to die for!  I strained that and placed it in a glass jar, maybe sauté some veggies or use it in my eggs.......

Thanks for all your help.

Archived