Hunger comes from the mind not the stomach..interesting article

Guest WholeStanley

Guest WholeStanley

I'm sure I'm not the only who really slips up when it comes to the whole30 recommendation about WHERE we should be eating - for me it was easy to avoid the TV, but rarely a day goes by when I don't eat at least one meal in front of my emails, or with my ipad in front of me - sometimes even reading this forum! The inability to just eat with no other distraction but the yummy food in front of me is a hard habit to break - and I think it's easy to convince yourself that a newspaper article is better than the tv, but in reality they all do the same job in that they focus your brain on something other than the food you are putting in your mouth.

I've always found the days I managed to get out of the office for my lunch and just eat on a bench with no distractions are the ones when I don't feel hungry again in the afternoon, so I found this experiment really interesting:

"Your brain, not your stomach, tells you when to stop eating

Hunger is in the mind. Dr Suzanne Higgs at Birmingham University carried out a remarkable experiment to prove it. Her team gave a group of amnesiacs a lunch of sandwiches and cakes. When everybody had finished eating, they cleared away and brought in a fresh lunch 10 minutes later. A control group of people with no memory problems groaned and refused any more food. The amnesiac group tucked in and ate the same again.

When we eat in front of the television or while looking at our computer screen at work, we are not giving lunch or dinner our full attention. Our brain is not registering how much we have eaten and we may well feel we haven't had enough. Higgs is working on a phone app so that people can take pictures of their meals and snacks as a reminder that they've actually had enough."

In fact the whole article is worth a read:

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2014/jun/23/truth-about-obesity-10-shocking-things-need-to-know

and this one too

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/jul/18/food-is-a-drug-and-we-have-to-learn-to-say-no

I particularly liked this section, which I think I might start using in my elevator pitch when explaining why I'm doing the whole30

No one would buy an expensive car and fill it with lighter fluid and then expect anything but disaster. Yet we are happy to fill the world's most complex machine – the human body – with weird junk. Products which are not made by the power of the sun, but manufactured in the dark in tubes and machines, have triggered a health crisis which is spinning out of control.

Hmmm...interesting idea.  I think hunger is a very complex thing.  I think (at least for me) there is emotional hunger and physical hunger.  Then there are cravings.  All three can lead to me eating.  I've been trying to read more about how leptin and insulin affect hunger.  I think our hormones are out of whack also.

I love the comment about how snacking is relatively new and we are teaching our kids to continuously eat. :angry:   Ugh!!

This is interesting (will have to read the full article later). How do amnesiacs manage this outside a clinical setting, I wonder. Do they have to be reminded to eat, or restricted from eating?

The app idea sounds fun but unnecessary, as that's what so much of existing photo sites are about these days - people photographing their meals!

And how would photographs of the food help someone feel satieted? When I'm hungry, photos of food make me hungrier. When I'm stuffed, they seem unappetizing or just there, and get no emotional/physical response. Taking a photo of what I'm eating & reviewing it toward the end of my meal seems like it would simply be another one of those photos - 'Ok, neat idea for spaghetti squash. Will have to try that. Next.' That it wouldn't remind me of what I've eaten. I guess for amnesiacs, it might have a different effect. But then again, they have to remember to review the photo...interesting, nonetheless.

I

My mother has memory issues and forgets to eat and forgets she's just eaten and well accuse us of trying to starve her. It's actually quite sad. For her, photos if her meals would not help because she won't remember a picture was taken or even how to attempt to find it. Writing it down doesn't work either nor does something simple like a sticker chart because again, she doesn't know to remember to look at it.

Archived