What's your restaurant spiel?

I've been gluten-free since 2006, and did my Whole30 last summer, successfully eating out a few times.  I frequently go out to eat.

Here's what I do:

1. First, browse the restaurant's menu online for 2-3 possible entrees that look compliant as is, or appear that they can be modified to be made compliant. If they have a gluten-free menu or items labeled gluten-free, start there.  Restaurants that cook to order are also good bets.

2. Call the restaurant ahead of time, explain that you're on an elimination diet, and ask questions about how your entree choices are prepared. Biggies you want to avoid are soybean oil and butter for cooking, any sugar, soy, dairy, gluten, MSG, or alcohol in marinades or seasonings.  Ideally, see if they can dry grill your proteins with only salt and pepper. Anything that has a sauce is suspect for non-compliant ingredients. I generally stay away from soups: too tricky to ensure compliance. Bring your own dressing for salad.

Here is the Whole30 dining out guide, which provides additional tips: http://whole9life.com/2012/11/dining-out-whole30/

Archived