Will eating whole30 help with a spitting up 3 week old?

My baby is 3 weeks old and he's been spitting up really bad. My oldest had the same issue I had to resort to pumping and adding rice cereal to make it thicker so it would stay in him a little better. I don't know if I could do that again. I was wondering if anyone else had had issues like this and if eating this way would help with that or if this is something that is a little out of my control? Any thoughts?

To be honest I don't know - this is just a thought on my side.

Your baby could be having an allergic reaction to whatever you're eating - so you eating whole 30 may help with helping you discover your little ones' sensitivities. 

Also check out Chris Kresser and the healthy baby code website - you might be able to get some more answers there. 

Sorry I am not more help to you.

I went to see a world-renown nutritionist because I've had the same issue with all four of my babies. She tried to out me on a diet just like this one but I was too overwhelmed to figure it out. I'm only on day 3, but just thought you'd like to know a professional swore this would help my baby's stomach and reflux issues.

There's a good chance it will. My son was vomiting up food constantly and it was discovered to be dairy causing the problem. He is one now and still can't have dairy. I also have a couple of friends who have had babies who vomited a lot (and/or had other stomach issues like gas) and found the babies to be sensitive to different things: peas, garlic, chocolate... So, you may want to play around with spices if doing a Whole30 doesn't help. Sometimes babies are really sensitive to some spices you eat. 

Dairy is one of the biggest offenders for breastfeeding babies.  I would eliminate it immediately and see what happens.  Give it a few weeks, at least.  Eating Whole 30-style eliminates a lot of junk that could be causing issues, but not ALL of the big allergens.  As others have said, you may have to play around with it to find the offender(s), but dairy pops into my head immediately.

I would not advise rice cereal ever, but not at such a young age in particular.  If you've got a little one who is prone to sensitivities already, adding in any solid food this early may actually make things worse.  

I have issues with milk so I don't eat or drink much dairy. I can get away with Greek yogurt but I did talk to my pediatrician and he said dairy would be the first cause the issue I guess I should try it out. I didn't give my oldest the rice cereal in milk until he was about 3 mo. But as soon as I switched to formula he was better. And thanks I will check out Kris's site. Thank you for all your guys suggestions and help :) I just need to push through it and start

• 4 weeks later...

My daughter is 5 months and we have battled acid reflux a lot. However, since starting whole30 she has not spit up once! It's been just over a week, but I can't help but think it has to do with my diet since nothing else has really changed.

• 4 weeks later...

I've read many reputable places that a mom's diet is seldom the cause of baby GI issues, but rather that being a baby is the culprit. And yet, for all I've read that, there's been a huge difference between the gas that emanates from my baby when I'm not eating Whole30 ... and the gas that doesn't when I'm eating Whole30 clean. 

It's worth a shot!

I just wanted to throw it out there - when DD was about eight weeks old (four weeks after I'd eliminated dairy due to her eczema), I finally figured out that her painful, excessive gas was caused by my eating eggs. I had to give up eggs until she was about five months old and her gut started closing (and dairy no longer gave her eczema flare-ups). She still gets gas at 5.5months when I eat whole eggs, but it's no longer painful or even bothersome for her.

• 1 month later...

I am nursing an 8 week old who I think is sensitive to dairy (pretty bad eczema flare up and spitting up after I had a latte yesterday). She normally doesn't spit up and I normally don't have dairy. I feel really guilty and I just read it can take up to 4 weeks to leave her system :(. Has anyone had experience with this and does anyone know if I should also eliminate ghee?

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds like acid reflux/food sensitivity -- usually dairy is the culprit but could also be soy, eggs, etc. my daughter did this at that age especially after consuming dairy. I would give the Whole30 a a shot and see if it helps! Dairy takes approx a month to leave your system so it should get drastically better in a couple weeks and hopefully stop after a month. Once your whole30 is done, slowly reintroduce dairy and see how it affects your LO! Also, another tip is to ignore the 3 meals with no snacking on whole30 because let's be honest - nursing moms need a couple snacks to keep us going and drink plenty of water!! *natural childbirth educator & Breastfeeding advocate* :-)

• 2 weeks later...

My son went from spitting up 8-10 times a day, some times as much as a cup after breastfeeding, to a tiny bit every few days! Started whole 30 10 days ago and am amazed at the difference in my baby. I guess I will find the culprit when I reintroduce foods! Good luck hope it helps your little one.

• 1 month later...

Has your baby ever been checked for a tongue tie and lip tie? Acid reflux, spitting up, gas issues, etc, are all symptoms of a tongue tie. My son spit up frequently until we had his tongue and lip ties lasered at 5weeks, then after that -- since he was able to use his tongue to nurse correctly -- the spitting up dramatically decreased since he was swallowing far far less air.

Some helpful blogs:

Dr. Ghaheri -- EXCELLENT articles about ties and breastfeeding, lots and lots of help
http://www.drghaheri.com/

Mommypotamus -- helpful article about what to look for*
http://www.mommypotamus.com/a-step-by-step-guide-to-diagnosing-tonguelip-ties/

*NOTE: reading the list of symptoms is helpful, but not conclusive. Every baby is different: my son and my nephew both had Type 3 tongue ties, and yet while my nephew and sister met all but 3 of the symptoms, my son and I only met 2.

Facebook Tongue Tie Support Group -- lots of moms AND medical professionals in this group who had answer questions
https://www.facebook.com/groups/tonguetiebabies/

List of Preferred Providers from FB group**
http://ttbsg.weebly.com/provider-list.html

**Most medical professionals do not know very much about ties themselves, as well as their connection with breastfeeding. For example, I went to a pediatric dentist and an ENT in our area-- the former said I was imagining everything, the latter said the two breastfeeding issues we were having were not related to the ties (they very much were). We ended up traveling several hours to find a doctor who actually knew what she was looking at, is a major advocate of breastfeeding, and who lasered ties (vs. clipping).

Archived