Going to a 5-day Conference

jujuJules

Will be on day 17 next Wednesday, when I head to Charlotte, NC for a conference.  I will be staying in a hotel with no car the whole time.  The conference website says:

"All meals will be buffet style to accommodate different dietary needs such as: gluten free, vegetarian, and lactose free. There is no need to alert us of your unique dietary needs as the buffet will provide ample choices for you."

. . . But somehow, I doubt this will cover Whole30 very well. 

I am concerned with being stuck with sub-par choices for this length of time.  I plan to pack some meats, veggies and a few fats in my checked bag and try to supplement with whatever is available on the buffets.

I can't imagine they will have a breakfast choice that will be acceptable.  There will be meat, I am sure, but not grass-fed, organic meat I am sure.  I was thinking of taking homemade soup (which I have been loving for breakfast lately!) packed in individual Food Saver packs and freezing them to use as ice packs for the other food.

Any advice from those who have come before me is much appreciated.

~juju

I can't imagine they will have a breakfast choice that will be acceptable.  There will be meat, I am sure, but not grass-fed, organic meat I am sure.  I was thinking of taking homemade soup (which I have been loving for breakfast lately!) packed in individual Food Saver packs and freezing them to use as ice packs for the other food.

Hard boiled eggs and fresh fruit might be an option at the breakfast buffet?  

Note that grass-fed and organic meat is not required on a Whole30.  The big things to avoid are sugars, sweeteners, gluten and soy in processed meat, and be wary of sauces, marinades and seasonings used in cooking. You're unlikely to get compliant bacon. Sausage also would be a tricky option. You'll want to ensure no soybean oil or butter were used as cooking fats.

I'm glad you asked this. I'm doing a five day conference in August and will be in last week of Whole30.

I've been doing research in advance to see what is near where I'm staying. I've found a grocery store one mile away that focuses on organic food. I've also been checking local menus and found a Paleo food delivery service. Not sure if it would work given I'm at the meeting so much but considering it.

I've called and arranged for a refrigerator in my hotel room. I explained food allergies. You have to be careful using the beverage refrigerators - some of them only run have the time to keep the drinks cool but not at normal frig temperatures.

Am planning to bring coconut flakes and olives to help with the need for extra energy during the event. I'm thinking protein might be easier to find.  

Also planning on bringing tuna or some canned chicken - looks pretty clean. Not perfect but better than what they may have.

Bringing individual packets of guacamole that I'm freezing before leaving to use with the meat to give it some flavor.

Finally I do contact the meeting planning staff and communicate my food allergies - in spite of lovely buffets. 

They do the notices like what you got to ward off the majority of folks with food preferences. I've got some strong food allergies which create like cut glass feeling in my throat.

Once I contact them and share that, they are really required to create whatever I want. I get menus in advance to check for what I might eat - including buffets - and get special meals at sit down meals.

The key is to give your planner notice. If you want to try this strategic, contact them Monday morning. You don't want to be sick at their meeting.

Hope this helps! Would love to hear what else others have done. I'll be on my last week - and do NOT want to blow it just because I'm on the road!

- Cynthia

Archived