This bread???

I have just come across this recipe...the only thing it contains that I'm not currently eating after whole30 is oats as I hadn't even thought about them! (Though if they are ok I could have haggis...oooo)

http://www.mynewroots.org/site/2013/02/the-life-changing-loaf-of-bread/

I'm just wondering about what others think about the idea of making a "better" version of something (crusty bread) that you used to love but now makes you feel lethargic and achy (sob)?

It's be nice to have something to put my occasional cheese indulgences or homemade pâté on and I could perhaps get my son eating it...

nope, not during the whole30.

post-whole30, you make up the rules and decide what works for you. For me, I don't choose to make things like this. If a friend made it and offered me some, I might try it, but I don't think it is a good choice for regular meals (I feel best eating meals that fit the template, this doesn't lend itself to that).

Thanks ;)

I wouldn't eat it on whole30 but I'm after whole30 now and trying to find a balance plus encourage my son to eat better so I thought this may be a good try.

It's all well and good to say stay on the template forever but life, specially with children, other family members who cannot be ignored just because they don't see food the way you do and a past involving eating disorders compromises do need to be made.

You get to decide whether this is something you'll include or not.  We are all so different and what works as an occasional indulgence for one would make the wheels fall off for another.  You know yourself best.

In my context I have a few things that I make seasonally or on rare occasions but not on a regular basis.  A good example is a paleo banana bread recipe I love. It has no sweeteners (other than the banana) but it needs to be occasional for me because when I make it I love to eat lots of it.  That is ok now and then, but not regularly because it makes me feel heavy and takes the place of more healthful foods.  Ditto for the sweetner-free apple crisp I love.

I like to have things that are rare treats .. . I think many cultures integrated things like that before the modern day food approach where we are supposed to indulge - all day every day - and nothing is really special anymore.  Gone are the days where you would only have 'treat' foods on holidays or special occasions - they are available all the time now.  My approach is to bring back the 'special occasion' :).  Works for me, so long as I stick to ingredients that don't make me feel like garbage.  I know many people feel like paelofying is just swypo, but for me after months of no sweeteners or grains, I"m pretty sure the regular versions would be too sweet for me and make my guts churn.

It's all well and good to say stay on the template forever but life, specially with children, other family members who cannot be ignored just because they don't see food the way you do and a past involving eating disorders compromises do need to be made.

Yup. Every context is different. You decide what works for you.  :)

Archived