New...Brand spanking new....

Hey everyone! I wasn't sure where to put this but I think it's a troublshooting question/comment/concern.

I just bought "It Starts With Food" today and am about to start reading it.  I am female, 41, 5'4 and just hit a whopping 179.5 lb on the scale yesteday morning.  I am currently wearing size 12/14 in clothes. 

I know Whole 30 is about health and I have a some health ailments that I am sure would benefit from this way of eating : I have GERD, I suffer from headaches (just popped 2 extra strength Advil), I am on my third antidepressant in the 13 years I have been taking them, Type 2 diabetes is on both sides of my family and I have crazy allerigies and sinus issues. I also had a few years ago serious pain in my finger joints where nothing could be detected, all tests negative but I am afraid it will come back since no one knew what it was to start with.

I am scared out of my wits to start consuming fat regualrly and not measuring or counting calories etc and the thought I will just get fatter stands out in my mind.  I want to feel better but I also REALLY want to lose this fat weighgt!!!! I can't be the only one who is so focused on weight loss.  I definitely want to feel better but I don't want to feel better and still be fat! 

It certainly can be a leap of faith, especially with the deep misconceptions about fat in the culture. But let me assure you: the amount of fat you take in per the meal template will not make you fat. You need good fats in a healthy diet -- and to convert your metabolism from primarily burning sugars and carbs, to also burning fats -- including your own body fat.

What makes you fat and keeps you fat are the loads of sugars, simple carbs, inflammatory food groups, and processed crap that are typical of the standard diet. Since you will be not be having these during a Whole30, you will be giving yourself the best possible chance to lose weight and keep it off sustainably.

Good luck!

Let me first start by saying, welcome.  I am SO glad you've found the book AND the forum.  Please stick around and learn, learn, learn.  Any problem you encounter -- help is right here.

Next, I will say I agree with everything Glenn said.  :)  Go back and read that part about your body fat again.  ...And again, if necessary.  

You want your body to be good at burning fat, right?  How well has that carbohydrate-based diet been working toward that goal?  Just go to Amazon, type in "Eat Fat, Lose Fat" and see what all pops up.  I haven't read that book, and I'm not telling you to, I'm just saying:  This is working for people.  Because it actually works.  You don't need to count calories, because you are going to learn what it's like to be satisfied and satiated.

The list of ailments you've posted is heartbreaking.  It has crept up on you slowly, so maybe you don't see it as I do.  This has become your "normal".  As you know, it's time to create a NEW normal.  If you stick with this, you will look back on this post one day in utter amazement that you suffered for so long, because I believe every single thing you listed is reversible.

Trust me when I say:  Focus on getting healthy.  Losing extra weight will come along with getting healthy.  It really is a snowball effect. Just as you did not suddenly wake up one day at 180 pounds and with all of these health complaints, you will not expect for all of that to be completely gone in just 30 days.  But you CAN get there.  Keep reading.  ;)

Let me first start by saying, welcome.  I am SO glad you've found the book AND the forum.  Please stick around and learn, learn, learn.  Any problem you encounter -- help is right here.

Next, I will say I agree with everything Glenn said.   :)  Go back and read that part about your body fat again.  ...And again, if necessary.  

You want your body to be good at burning fat, right?  How well has that carbohydrate-based diet been working toward that goal?  Just go to Amazon, type in "Eat Fat, Lose Fat" and see what all pops up.  I haven't read that book, and I'm not telling you to, I'm just saying:  This is working for people.  Because it actually works.  You don't need to count calories, because you are going to learn what it's like to be satisfied and satiated.

The list of ailments you've posted is heartbreaking.  It has crept up on you slowly, so maybe you don't see it as I do.  This has become your "normal".  As you know, it's time to create a NEW normal.  If you stick with this, you will look back on this post one day in utter amazement that you suffered for so long, because I believe every single thing you listed is reversible.

Trust me when I say:  Focus on getting healthy.  Losing extra weight will come along with getting healthy.  It really is a snowball effect. Just as you did not suddenly wake up one day at 180 pounds and with all of these health complaints, you will not expect for all of that to be completely gone in just 30 days.  But you CAN get there.  Keep reading.   ;)

Brewer thank you for the welcome :)  I will keep reading and learning.  I have already seen lots of testimonials to know it works...it's taking the leap of faith.... you are very right those ailments are my normal.  I have advil and tyleonl with codeine with me 24/7 because a headache can come up at any time and last for days.  Sinus and allergies have been all of my life as well.  I would LOVE to creat a new normal.  I'm thinking of signing up for the program on here that sends the daily emails etc.  I'm still getting familair with everything.

It certainly can be a leap of faith, especially with the deep misconceptions about fat in the culture. But let me assure you: the amount of fat you take in per the meal template will not make you fat. You need good fats in a healthy diet -- and to convert your metabolism from primarily burning sugars and carbs, to also burning fats -- including your own body fat.

What makes you fat and keeps you fat are the loads of sugars, simple carbs, inflammatory food groups, and processed crap that are typical of the standard diet. Since you will be not be having these during a Whole30, you will be giving yourself the best possible chance to lose weight and keep it off sustainably.

Good luck!

Glenn you are so right in everything you said! Thank you for the well wishes!! 

If nothing else can this really make me worse off than I already am?  Doubtful!!

If nothing else can this really make me worse off than I already am?  Doubtful!!

Not a chance.  It will certainly help with insulin/diabetes factors.    Don't be scared to consume the good fats.   Flip the switch and think of what sugars do.   The half has not been told of how good you can feel if you stick with it.   You'll feel better, cactusflower.

Not a chance.  It will certainly help with insulin/diabetes factors.    Don't be scared to consume the good fats.   Flip the switch and think of what sugars do.   The half has not been told of how good you can feel if you stick with it.   You'll feel better, cactusflower.

Thank you so much! I am starting my Whole30 experience TODAY....this should be interesting!

Thank you so much! I am starting my Whole30 experience TODAY....this should be interesting!

Congratulations & good luck!  Are you keeping a food log here?  If you haven't considered it, I HIGHLY recommend it.  That can be a great tool to get help & advice along the way, help yourself stay accountable, and be able to see how far you've come.  I, for one, would be interested in popping in and seeing how you are doing, too.  :)  Take care!

P.S.  --  The daily emails are great!  There was SO much info there, I am holding onto them for future reference.  I hope to be able to actually check out more of the websites, recipes, etc. they recommend.

Congratulations & good luck!  Are you keeping a food log here?  If you haven't considered it, I HIGHLY recommend it.  That can be a great tool to get help & advice along the way, help yourself stay accountable, and be able to see how far you've come.  I, for one, would be interested in popping in and seeing how you are doing, too.   :)  Take care!

P.S.  --  The daily emails are great!  There was SO much info there, I am holding onto them for future reference.  I hope to be able to actually check out more of the websites, recipes, etc. they recommend.

Thank you!!! In fact I am keeping a log.  I started it last year when I *tried* but didn't last long at all. 

Here is the link for it http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/12706-i-want-my-life-back-30-days-seems-to-be-a-good-starting-place/

I would love it if you popped in and share dyour expetise!  I like looking at the others logs too! :)

Archived