dextrose for blood sugar in type 1 diabetes

I am a type 1 diabetic and I use 100% dextrose (glucose) instead of glucose tablets with other junk in them when I have a low bood sugar. I have always been told that dextrose is the best way to raise blood sugar as it doesnt have to be converted like fructose. Is this ok to have when I have low blood sugars while on the whole30?

• Moderators

Sure. You are using dextrose as medicine in your case and I am assuming this is with the consent or advice of your doctor. The Whole30 ban on all forms of added sugar is not meant to change medical response protocols, just to interrupt the habitual eating habits of modern people. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Overhaul, I am on day 9, and its going great. I have only had one or two higher blood sugars, and a couple lows overnight (needing less insulin, so that's good). I feel really good and lots of energy.

You were diagnosed with type 1 at age 44? That is interesting. I've always thought type 1 happens early in life.

If you are used to eating lots of processed foods, you will naturally be eating less carbs on a whole foods diet, so be prepared to lower your insulin levels as needed. And to have a much easier time controlling them!

Archived