Day 21/ Day 14 and no way I can exercise!

Hi all,

This is my first Whole30 and it was recommended to me by my doctor. I started June 30, and had all the withdrawal symptoms, etc. On July 5th I had two pieces of pizza (they were really good!!), so I started over Monday July 7. This second round I didn't have any withdrawal symptoms but I continue to feel weak and tired. I would like to start exercising, but truly can't imagine walking around the block like this. My meals have typically included:

B: three eggs w 3/4 c of frozen spinach mixed in, cooked in 1 tsp of coconut oil, w black tea w 1/2 tbs of coconut oil (a whole tbs makes me a little nauseous)

L: Palm sized protein (usually chicken or salmon), big salad w EV olive oil (at least a tbs)

D: Palm sized protein (grass fed hamburger usually), and a huge amount of roasted broccoli, Brussels sprouts, or kale, w at least a tbs of EV olive oil on them.

If I get hungry during the day I'll have a handful of cashews, usually 1-2 times a day.

I drink about 80oz of water a day (I weigh about 175).

Also may be of importance, I am very constipated. Today is the first time I have gone since last Sunday (7 days). I was always a little like this at baseline, but now it is way worse.

I am a little afraid of carbs, as I love them soooo much!

Thanks so much for any advice you may have!

Amy

Ps. And now you know my weight and my bowel habits. Two things I won't tell my husband! ;)

• Moderators

You are missing starchy veggies from your meals and that can leave you extremely tired. Add potatoes, rutabagas, parsnips, beets, plantains, or similar foods to your diet at least once per day (twice for now while you are so tired). This may help increase your energy levels. Starchy veggies are carbs and you need carbs, just not in the form of bread, pasta, rice, etc. 

I can say from personal experience that if I completely drop all starchy veggies from my diet, within 3 weeks my energy levels and recovery tank. I literally can't handle working out. Perhaps it is a transition to doing full keto, as I'm sure someone doing that would probably tell me, but I'm not interested in extremely low carb dieting and am not convinced it is right for me.

If you're so worried about carbs from the sweet tooth perspective (I definitely get that concern) try eating starchy carbs you're not so attracted to. I can eat winter squashes and parsnips, but I'm not in love with them, so those are great ones for me. Sweet potatoes and plantains - while I won't ever totally cut them out - I can go overboard with. I truly do measure (using my fist as a guide) my portion now of those and stick to it. 

Archived