First timer - started 21/7

meeveebee

Sorry to hear about the eczema. Hope it's a detox effect and will go away of its own accord!

Agree with you on the cravings - I've had the same effect and it feels very liberating not to think about food except at mealtimes! (Although I do quite often think about the next meal and the delicious things I'm going to eat.)

Yuck - so sorry to hear about your skin!  I hope it clears up.  

I haven't been in this forum for several days because I'm recovering from strep throat!  The sore throat started around Day 6 for me and I chalked it up to the "flu-like symptoms" I'd be warned are part of the first 2 weeks.  And it's been so hot (I live in the south) that I didn't realize I had a temperature until Sunday afternoon when I couldn't stop sweating and then freezing.  Took my temp and, sure enough, I had a fever, headache and of course the worst sore throat ever!  

BUT - I stayed compliant the whole time, even opting not to use sore throat lozenges because they all have sugar in them.  Today I bounced back; it's the first day I feel healthy again.  

To answer your question, meeveebee, I do not have a log.  Maybe I should start one?  I don't know!  

Last night for dinner and today for lunch it's Nom Nom Paleo's Easiest Roast Chicken plus a big green salad and tomatoes from my coworkers garden!  There is nothing like homegrown tomatoes...

I'm still craving sugar and dairy (together!) but not as acutely as last week.  

I loved staying home from work two days this week, though.  I brought my work laptop home and was surprisingly productive, considering I felt terrible and am also deep in the throes of a binge-watching marathon of The Wire, which I never saw the first time around.  

I received some very painful personal news about my ex and his new WIFE, who once was also a close friend of mine, two days and and before W30, my instinct would have been to drink and eat my troubles away, but instead I took a long walk, journaled some, and talked with my close friends about it all instead.  I cried a lot.  But it's time to move on!  But oh if I didn't think long and hard about paleo hacks like coconut cream over dark chocolate flourless cake....

Good on you Alannah. Walking and journalling is a great way of getting through the hard times and probably a lot more effective that eating as well. It's so hard to pull yourself away from a lifetime of emotional eating though - well done. I'm glad you are feeling better - it's hard when you're poorly. I really want to buy the nom nom paleo book, the recipes look great :)

Day 11

Well the skin situation is much worse today so I went to the doctors and they have given me some steroid cream. I hope it works, I'm really struggling not to rip my face to pieces! Today was fine food wise because all that occupied my mind was the mantra 'don't scratch your face'. I'm so glad I pre packed all my breakfasts and lunches. It has made this week so much easier. 

I was really feeling like pasta and sushi doing the food shopping tonight. Instead I made bolognese sauce from scratch (as none of my normal premade sauces were compliant. Why do they have to put sugar into everything!!!). It was surprisingly easy - I can't believe I haven't done it before! I also made carrot & zucchini noodles to have with it. It was delicious :)

Food

B - 3 boiled eggs, sweet potato & spinach

L - steamed veggies, tuna with homemade mayo & olives

D - Bolognese sauce with carrot & zucchini noodles

Hey Meeveebee,

How's your skin today?  Can you put plain aloe on it? I feel for you.  But I always hear of people going paleo/whole 30 to CURE eczema?  Wishing some relief for you today.

I'm in what, Day 12 now?  Getting bored of my usual recipes.  I downloaded Nom Nom Paleo's recipe app, though, and wow!  What a resource!  I adore her blog and recipes - very clearly described and pictured so you really can't fail.

I also finally made paleo ranch dressing last night!  That changes everything!  Now I have a delicious dip for plain veggies, sauce for fish and other dishes...so good. 

I'm still receiving tons of garden bounty from my neighbors, friends, and co-workers:  tomatoes, cucumbers, zucchini, squash.  I love it!  My little garden is a few weeks behind because I started from seeds later than everyone else apparently.  All my tomatoes are still small and green.  But I do have tons of fresh herbs and those are golden - they instantly freshen up any dish and are so handy to have just outside my front door - basil, Italian parsley, dill, cilantro, rosemary, and sage.  Best thing I ever did was plant those herbs!  

I really appreciate all the supportive kind words.  This lifestyle change of W30 is really all about making a huge internal shift, right?  And I hope to extend that shift from not only my diet and eating habits to my general being.  I would love to get off thyroid meds (I'm mildly hypo), and pain meds for my back.  I'm only 39 after all!  I don't want to feel 79!  My grandmother is 88 and still very mobile and healthy.  She also eats mostly paleo. I hope to be like her - healthy, vibrant, still driving, still very "with it."  

Meeveebee - do you have a spiralizer?  I haven't invested in one yet but made zucchini noodles with my cheapo plastic mandolin and they turned out perfect.  I was thrilled and loved my bolognese over them.  

So...just checking in too...how are you feeling?  

Hey Alannah,

Thanks for checking up. I'm ok - my eczema is still super itchy but it is settling down. I am putting straight aleo vera on it from the plant. That's what mum used to do when I was little so I thought it was worth a go. It is very soothing. 

I love nom nom paleos recipes. I am thinking of buying her book as i don't have an iPad and she doesn't have an iPhone app. The ranch dressing sounds awesome. That's exactly what I need as my meat and veggies are getting pretty dry.

I am off my thyroid meds  with the doctors ok (I've got Graves' (hyper). So far so good :) Your support network sounds awesome giving you all that beautiful veggies. I've been buying mine from the farmers market which is almost as good :)

I don't have a spiralizer - I just have a cheap juilenne peeler and that does the job pretty well.

Sounds like you are going great guns. Apart from my face and feeling a bit tired still I am definitely feeling better in myself :) Go us!!

Day 12

So yesterday was a really good day in showing me how much of a difference Whole30 has made in such little time. It was 2 peoples last day so there was cake and cream as far as the eye could see. I didn't even feel like it. Which is crazy as 2 weeks ago I probably would have had a slice of each and then a bit more for afternoon tea. I quite happily sat and ate my delicious lunch - I didn't even feel remotely jealous of those stuffing their face with cake :)

It was also my cousins 21st birthday. They had ordered my favourite pizza which I went to collect from the pizza store. The smell was amazing but the smell was all I needed. I felt that a bit of pizza really wasn't worth starting again from scratch. I had brought along some mince, sweet potato mash & spinach which I ate instead. I was worried my family would make a big deal about it but they really didn't. I explained and they all nodded and said how yummy my dinner smelt. There was also a delicious malteaser cake (another one of my faves) with cream. My little niece sat on my lap and I fed her her's. I almost licked my fingers through habit but I caught myself just in time and washed my hands instead.

I feel so accomplished. I can do this :) Yesterday showed me what a huge change in mindset I have achieved and I'm not even half way through. I'm excited for what the future holds.

Food

B- 3 boiled eggs, sweet potato & leek

L - stirfry beef with veggies, avocado, olives

D - Bolognase mince with sweet potato mash, spinach and veggies.

Goals

My first two goals of no social media & eating at the table are still on track. Crossfit however has taken a back seat. The doctor has told me not to exercise with my eczema so bad at the moment. Hopefully I will be back on track next week. I am not going to feel guilty though. My body is stressed enough undergoing these huge changes. I want to sort my eating out first & foremost and I'm sure my exercise will follow later on :)

Thanks Derval - I hope so too :)

Day 13

Pretty quiet day spent cleaning and food shopping. I should have done my food prep today as I am working tomorrow but I didn't. I'm off Monday so it will have to wait till then. 

My face is getting slightly better, my BF is getting worse. He is convinced my eczema is caused by 'my stupid diet'. I am finding it pretty tough going ignoring his snipes. Hopefully he will realise that eating this way is the best for me. I even found some compliant 'sushi' at the sushi bar we went to for lunch :) I think I will definitely have that again as it was quick and easy takeaway meal.

I am halfway through It Starts with Food which has renewed my motivation not to go back to eating the way I was. It makes me sad to think about the way I used to treat my body. I know now - I can only do the best I can with what I know :)

Food

B - 3 poached eggs on sweet potato mash & spinach

L - Compliant sushi from the sushi bar (winning!). It was delicious veggies & avocado wrapped with smoked salmon. D - Chilli Con Carne with a few cups of veggies (brocolli, carrots, sugar snap peas & green beans)

Almost half way there :)

Day 14

Two weeks down, two to go :) I'm feeling good again. My face is clearing up slowly, it is looking better each day. I worked today so not much to say. I did feel pretty hungry when I got home from work but I think it was just cravings and habits talking. I had a big glass of water & picked up my book and forgot I was hungry pretty quickly!

Food

B - 2 boiled eggs, sweet potato mash & spinach

L - Tuna with mayo, a huge salad with balsamic & evoo dressing and half an avocado

D - Beef roast with veggies, roast potatoes, pumpkin and parsnips

Way to go, MVB!!  Facing down those huge temptations and saying "no" must've felt empowering.  

I was invited to a cocktail party on Saturday night, it was even a somewhat dressy affair.  I nearly talked myself out of it because I didn't want to be the only sober person there but I'm so glad I didn't!  I put on a tight dress (which made me very self-conscious, even though my belly isn't pooching out NEAR as much as it did a few weeks ago) and went.  I visited with old friends and even danced a little - all while sipping water all night.  No one else seemed to notice or care, much to my relief.  I thought I'd get a hard time from everyone else.  I had a blast and stayed until after midnight.  Drove home stone cold sober and woke up feeling refreshed.  When was the last time I woke up after attending a cocktail party without even a twinge of a hangover?  Um...never?  Not since I was pregnant?  

Hurray for these non-scale victories (wearing a tight dress and attending a party sober)!  

I've also turned down cake and ice cream from coworkers' birthdays in the past week.  It's getting easier, that's for sure.  

I've got a huge work deadline and have been working crazy hours (up until 2:30am last night and back up for work at 6:30am) but I'm not crashing!  Well, I'm not crashing during the day at work, I should say.  There is no way I could do this pre-Whole 30 - at least without resorting to many a sugar and caffeine binge.  

I keep seeing pictures of Nom Nom Paleo's Kalua Pig on my Instagram (by the way - if any of you are on IG, my Whole 30-specific account is alannahlovesfood - friend me if you want to!) and it looks so simple to make.  I would like to try it this week.  I'm getting sick of variations of eggs.  

I am thinking that when I finish this first W30 that I might take a short furlough (WINE!  CHEESE!) and then go straight back to a 2nd one.  Now that I know I can do it, I'm encouraged to continue it longer than just 30 days.

How is your skin, Mee?  And your jackass bf?  Just teasing!  But it's too bad he can't be more supportive.  I guess that's one small benefit to being single through this process - no judgment.  

Way to go Alannah :) That's awesome about your cocktail party. Having fun but still being able to function the next day is a huge plus from my point of view! I'm finding saying no to things is a lot easier too. 

BF is coming around. He told me yesterday that I am looking skinnier and healthier than he had seen me in a long time. It made me feel great all day. I also cooked him an awesome compliant chilli con carne which he loved. I think he is beginning to realise that this is a lifestyle change for me not just a phase. My skin is looking 100% better, which is a relief. I hope it stays like this :)

Day 15

A day off work today so I went to have lunch with mum. Our lunches are normally a delicious feast. A complete change to my usual order but it was just as delicious! It's a small country town and they didn't have any balsamic vinegar so I ducked across the road to a supermarket and grabbed a little bottle. 

Another small victory - I went back to Crossfit today after about 4 weeks off and got a PR strict press by 5kg. I also fitted into my new gym pants. Small but super exciting. 

Food

B - 3 poached eggs, sweet potato mash

L - grilled fish & salad

D - homemade compliant pad thai

Day 16

Another really busy day today at work. I had a really stressful day and huge problems with colleagues. There was a huge box of popping candy freddos in the tea room. Normally I would have had a least two but I went for a walk instead. I ate my lunch outside in the sun and thought no more about the yummy chocolate inside :) I got home really late and hadn't prepared any dinner. I went to Chicken Treat and just ordered a roast chicken and had that with salad & avo at home. I am really feeling good & making these healthy choices is starting to come naturally.

I'm a bit worried about this weekend. I am going to our capital city to judge a Crossfit comp. I am staying with the rest of the box in shared hotel rooms. I am busily trying to work out what food to bring. There isn't a fridge which is a bit annoying. I think I've decided on my boiled eggs, sweet potato & spinach for breakfast & tuna, mayo salad for lunches. I have two frozen chilli con carnes so I will take those for dinner. I hope it will be ok.

Food

B - 3 poached eggs, sweet potato & spinach

L - Salad, tuna & mayo and half an avo

D - roast chicken, salad, balsamic vinegar & half an avo

Day 16-22

The last few days have been so super busy I haven't even had a chance to update this log. I am feeling ok but my tummy upsets are back. My face has cleaned up wonderfully though. I spent the weekend at a Crossfit Competition. It was full of challenges (lollies, chocolate, burgers, pizza you name it, it was at our hotel room!). I am so proud of myself for resisting temptation. In fact, it was pretty easy to say no. I am really enjoying my whole food. I took mince, with leek, carrot & zucchini noodles for dinner and my sweet potato mash with eggs & spinach.

I have a new found confidence in saying no to food I don't want rather than saying yes to be polite. I am a bit worried about reintroducing other food next week. It's a lot to think about. As it stands it's pretty easy to use the program as an excuse. When I have to do it for myself it is going to be a different story .....

How are you doing, MeeVeeBee?

I'm gliding right along.  Feeling stronger and more resolute about these changes every day.  

I had a small moment of sadness over peach season.  Silly, right?  The peaches themselves are delicious....but I like to make this ginger/peach/brown sugar caramel upside down cake with creme fraiche during peach season.  Perhaps this is a feeling that smokers feel when they've had a lovely meal and a cigarette would be the perfect ending to the meal but they know they can't have one because that one perfect cigarette would lead to all the others they would regret.  

I know we're not supposed to weigh ourselves but I did this morning and couldn't believe I'm 12 lbs (5.5 kg) lighter! I haven't seen a number on a scale starting with 1-6 in forEVER. Thrilling.  Very motivating.  

Wow well done Alannah. That's awesome. I know I have lost weight but I'm waiting patiently? until Tuesday so I can weigh myself.

I have been pretty slack on the blog. I guess with my self inflicted ban on social media the computer hasn't got much attention. I have actually been out doing stuff :)

Day 23-27

It is all starting to fall into place with me now. I haven't been as strict with my meal planning and preparation. I am feeling much more confident in throwing everything in a pot with some herbs and spices and creating something yummy. This is much more how I am used to cooking. Although before w30, instead of herbs & spices I was using jar mixes. I am feeling good although no 'tiger blood'. I'm not really convinced it is going to be a thing for me.

Yesterday (Day 27) I went out on a girls road trip. i was so proud of myself and it really inspired me to believe that I can really live the rest of my life like this. They started with coffee and I got a peppermint tea. We went to a beautiful winery for lunch. I had a mineral water with a slice of lime. I was concerned about the menu but the lady serving was wonderful. I asked for pumpkin soup as long as it had no dairy for starters & pork belly minus the lentils for main. She was so lovely - she came back and assured me that there was W30 compliant and then made me a beautiful salad dressed with olive oil and balsamic vinegar as a side. She was as thrilled as I was! The rest of the girls enjoyed a few bottles of wine and desserts. I ordered another peppermint tea. I really didn't feel like I was missing out at all. It was such a great feeling.

I am really enjoying not worrying about the next sugar hit & am not missing those terrible sugar cravings. The bf is in disbelief that I really don't feel like an icecream after dinner anymore. We have discussed what will happen after day 30. I have read a lot about extending w30 but for me I think this is going to be a permanent change so I see no real point in extending it. 

I have decided I will allow added sugars back into my life. Not really because I want to, more due to the convenience of it. I figure I am eating no other sugars so a bit of extra added sugar won't hurt me too much. Obviously I will still try and avoid it where possible. I am happy to reintroduce dairy but I will see how my body handles it before adding it back in permanently. Other than that I am going to eat a paleo type food plan with occasional off roading when it is a food that is important/means a lot/ or that I really really enjoy. I am feeling so great there doesn't seem much point in changing. I hope I can stick to it when I don't have w30 as an excuse anymore!

Day 28-31

I can't believe how quickly this has finished. I am really enjoying eating this way. I am also enjoying feeling good & the freedom of not having a sugar dragon. 

I jumped on the scale today. I tell myself numbers don't mean anything when I am feeling so good & my clothes are feeling looser but I was really excited to discover I have lost 6.4kg over the last 30 days. I haven't taken an after photo get as the bf is working nights. When he does I will post that here too. I am so pleased to have discovered the Whole 30 program. It really has changed my life & ways of eating. 

Now for my goals.

I have kept up eating at the table, not distracted for most meals. 

Staying off social media was reasonably successful. I am missing my family updates on Facebook but I will keep it off my phone and just read the website on my laptop I think.

I have been back to Crossfit the last two weeks, getting about 3 sessions in a week. 

Overall I am so pleased I did this. Here's to my new found eating habits :)

Archived