Chocoholic's Whole10

Chocoholic382

Day 0

Just doing a little reboot on my healthy eating! I'm starting to feel extra sluggish and bloaty lately. I officially begin tomorrow! 

Most of my meals are 90-100% compliant. The challenge is not allowing those "extra-curricular" goodies into the mix. The alcohol, the dark chocolate, the little bites here and there of Fiance's junk-filled meals... Previously, I've done a Whole30, a Whole45, and a Whole 7. I plan to do another Whole45 when summer ends, but for now my schedule will only allow a few mini-WholeSomethings, and I'm cool with that!

See y'all tomorrow!

IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT'S DAY 1!

I'm feeling good and ready to do this! Ready to spend the next week and a half getting steadier energy and reducing my dependency on caffeine! And if I were to see an improvement in the waistline, I wouldn't complain  ;)

M1: big chunk of meat crust quiche + 2-3 oz black coffee

M2: 2 cups beef stew (Whole30-ified) + roasted sweet potatoes + 11 cherries

Pre-Workout: likely small amount of chicken salad

M3 (soon after workout--is that OK?): turkey & spinach soup + whatever assortment of veggies I can scrounge up

Tonight's exercise: ellipical! I'm interested to see how well my FitBit tracks elliptical steps. I got this baby a week ago and love it so far. Especially the sleep tracking part--I have found that I toss and turn nearly every 30 minutes. Not that I know what to DO about it, but hey, awareness is a step.

-------

45 minutes of elliptical: check!

• Moderators

You got me so hooked on meat quiche! Now I've switched to an all egg+veg bake bc I thought I was eating too much pork.

Let us know how you like the fitbit. I've been tempted to get one in the past but never pulled the trigger.

A meal post WO is fine, especially if it's not heavy lifting. For me, cardio never requires pre and post wo meals.

Congrats on day 1 in the bag!

Thanks LadyM! I usually do the pre-workout snacks for 2 reasons: (1) I tend to pass out if I work out on an empty stomach, and (2) My workouts are highly variable and I like to be physically prepared in case it's one of those days I'm up for a really good workout.

A girlfriend and I are hitting the gym tonight for more strength training. We both have 9-10 months to become wedding-ready, so I have a feeling we'll turn into regular gym buddies.

In other news, my energy crashed HARD at about 8:30 last night. I was mid-laundry at my parents' house so I had to power through until I got home at 9:30, where I promptly passed out (without even bringing the laundry in from the car) and slept until my alarm went off 9 1/2 hours later. Sadly, I woke up feeling borderline hungover. Not sure what the deal is but I don't think it's a Whole30 thing. Maybe allergies? There is a whole lot of pressure in my head.

Could the change in caffeine be the culprit? Sorry you're feeling punk!

If it IS the caffeine, then I'm glad to be cutting the cord! But I'm not so sure. I wasn't drinking a WHOLE lot before, and it's not so much headaches as face pressure. It seems like we'll find out if I feel better in a few days!

Day 2 (yesterday)

It was another majorly tired day. I had a little more trouble focusing than usual, but eventually managed to get a few things done and hit the gym. Even though my gym performance was weak, I'm happy I went.

M1: meat crust quiche + sauteed onions & squash + 2 oz coffee

M2: beef stew + sweet potato + 2 oz coffee

PWO: chicken salad

M3: skillet of eggs, onions, squash, bell pepper + 1 plum

40 minutes of gym, then energy crashed again around 9:15. Slept from 9:45 until 7. Woke up tired this morning, but not as bad as yesterday!

• Moderators

It's a good thing you're eating starchy carbs at every meal. The tiredness is likely transitional as you become fat adapted. Stay the course and take it easy at the gym.

• Moderators

I think it's wonderful that you're doing this reset. 10 days of giving your body exactly what it needs, including plenty of sleep! I sometimes think that it's only when we give ourselves permission to be exactly as we are that our bodies show us what they truly need. So,you might be surprised at how tired and wonky you feel, but maybe that's because you've been powering through and ignoring the signs until now. Good for you!

Thanks, Lady M :-) I do try to give my body as much sleep as it requests, especially with my autoimmune stuff factoring in. I usually get 8 1/2 hours, but it seems like this is a 9 1/2 hour kind of week (and the sky's the limit on Saturday!). You just have to trust that your body's only asking because it needs it. And (overshare) it occurs to me today, as I get a familiar mild cramping feeling, that my fatigue might have been a pre-ovulation hormone swing.

Day 3

M1: meat crust quiche + sauteed onions & squash + chai tea w/ a liiiiiiittle coconut milk 

M2: turkey & spinach soup + sweet potatoes

In between: iced decaf coffee. there's a little bit of caffeine in there so I thought I'd post it.

M3: grilled steak + more sauteed veggies

M4: 2 eggs, a little spinach, and a banana

Today's better than the last 2 days have been, but I still plan to give myself a rest tonight. No gym, just perhaps a walk with the fiance. We haven't seen much of each other this week since he was out of town Friday-Sunday and I've been throwing myself into bed soon after coming home from the gym.

Meanwhile, I do think the bloating I'd acquired has gone down somewhat. Hallelujah! I'd been looking in the mirror and thinking "what awful shape is this?!" I'm a bridesmaid in a wedding 2 weekends from now and I'd love to feel comfortable in my skin during it.

Day 4 (of 10)

I am very bummed to report that I accidentally had a tiny bit of sugar yesterday. I came home absolutely ravenous because lunch wasn't substantial enough, and Fiance was sweetly offered me a bite of his burger while I waited for the steak to heat up. He assured me it was "just meat". It turns out he used a spice mix that contained sugar, plus a hint of vanilla that also contained sugar. He really couldn't have known, but I hate to have ruined a perfect run so early on. Booooooo!

Oh well, whaddaya gonna do? Sugar intake notwithstanding, this morning I'm feeling more like my normal self than I have yet this week. I'm thinking today and tomorrow will be my last days to have a little bit of coffee, and then I'll switch to chamomile tea in the mornings. I also bought a 30-day pass to a yoga studio that I'll probably start on next week. I used to do sooooo much more yoga than I've had time for the past couple years, so it'll be great to go a couple times a week again! Maybe I'll even get my king pigeon pose back in shape.

The menu today will look similar to the past 3 days (minus the sugar yesterday!), so I'll skip the food log.

On a final note: TGIF!!

• Moderators

Glad you're not worrying about the little imperfection yesterday. It wouldn't be worth a restart in a proper w30 anyway. Also glad you're feeling better and returning to yoga. Yoga makes everything better!

Hooray for yoga! Can't wait.

Day 4 went well. Ate enough at breakfast and lunch to avoid major hunger like yesterday, kept coffee intake low, got in 8000 steps, and resisted the call to join my friends for happy hour. The cravings are still going strong, but they're not the boss of me.

Tomorrow we will spend the day at a nearby river with some friends. It'll be another long stretch of day where I'll need to figure out what to do about food, and I have to admit that I've done no preparation because we just made these plans today. Silver lining: everyone else who wants to can drink whatever they want because I'm the sober driver! But really, I'm excited to have a day to just play.

Happy weekend, friends!

Play time went really well! I didn't get to stick to the 3 square meals a day template since all I had was a tiny cooler, but I avoided all forbidden foods. I'll call that good enough, given the circumstances.

Since I had no adult beverages on this trip, I did make an interesting discovery. I always thought that on long days outside like this, it was mostly the alcohol that led to an afternoon crash of fatigue. But it still happened, even though I'd spent most of the day lounging in an inner tube. Guess it was mostly all the sun. Funny the things you notice when you cut down on the static.

Here's to being over halfway done!

How was your water intake? I find that long days in the sun combined with not nearly enough water make me feel very fatigued as well. While you still experienced it without the alcohol I'm certain having alcohol would have contributed as it is dehyrdrating as well.

Glad you had a fun day!

Day 7 and going strong! The cravings haven't subsided yet, especially in the evening, but I also haven't caved to them! Except coffee. But today's the very last day for that!

So to sum up how it's going for me: my energy's feeling a little better than it did a week ago and my belly is noticeably flatter. I'm no longer embarrassed to show up at my friend's wedding in my too-tight bridesmaid dress because it's now the perfect fit. My complexion is still fluctuating wildly but I don't think I can blame W30 for that. It seems like the nighttime crashes aren't so bad, but we'll see how it goes now that I'm back to the work week. I'm also excited to see how my workouts go since they were kinda pitiful last week.

If I could just get rid of these overwhelming cravings...

Archived