Day 3 and Fruit Scared

Runningforme82

Hi everyone! I have been lurking the past few days trying to get my barrings straight on this Whole30 thing :) I had been leaning towards "Paleo" for a few weeks prior to starting my official Whole30, so I'm not feeling to terrible (yet, lol). My biggest issue is the sugar demon! While I wasn't eating cupcakes and cookies every day (and haven't been for months), I was participating in a lot of SWYPO! Like frozen bananas, cocoa, and almond butter. Of course right before bed! Anyways, that leads me to my concern. I'm seeing that fruit, especially berries, are ok on Whole30. I've seen a few things where people put a little coconut milk on them too. To be honest, I'm scared to have any fruit and wake the sugar demon that I'm trying to suppress....no kill! lol. Any thoughts/suggestions on whether adding in some "approved" fruit is ok? I'm kind of thinking that I should steer clear of bananas for the W30, even though they are "approved" in moderation. Maybe they shouldn't be approved for "me"

Thanks for your thoughts.

Danielle

I think a lot of people tweak their Whole30 for what works for them by eliminating extra things. The two guidelines I've seen about fruit are to avoid propping up sugar cravings and to make sure fruit isn't pushing vegetables off your plate. I generally have fruit once a day, and that seems ok for me. But, what's ok for me may not be ok for someone else. If you're nervous, it might be worth cutting down on fruit quite a bit, or eliminating some of the fruits you've been using to prop up sugar cravings -- like bananas. That may not mean all fruits are out, though.

Hmm. I have fruit about as often as I want, maybe two or three times a day. I'm still seeing results and it's not rousing the Sugar Dragon. However, I just recently banned myself from eating dates for a while because I *cannot* stop at two or three. For me, even sweet fruits like bananas and mangoes make me feel good and do not lead me to eat them constantly.

Hmm. I have fruit about as often as I want, maybe two or three times a day. I'm still seeing results and it's not rousing the Sugar Dragon. However, I just recently banned myself from eating dates for a while because I *cannot* stop at two or three. For me, even sweet fruits like bananas and mangoes make me feel good and do not lead me to eat them constantly.

I buy dates and figs just a few at a time from the bulk foods dept at Whole Foods to keep at home. They are much too easy for me to overdo when I am having a bad moment. I do think over time the temptations of these trigger foods subside but since I have been a binge eater of sorts for most of my life, I just can't buy the 1 lb bags. Ever. If I make a treat for my kids with them like a batch of protein bars or Larabar type stuff, I just add a little honey or peanuts when I make them and then I know I won't eat them for myself!

Archived