Eating Whole30 at College

Littlelotte

So I decided to start my first Whole30 when I go back to school because I can load up on veggies and protein without killing my parents' grocery budget. I was just wondering whether you all think this will be acceptable?

We are required to have a meal plan, but I think I would still cook maybe once a week just because I enjoy cooking. My school's website also has a database that lists the allergens (wheat, soy, etc.) in their food as well as the oils and methods used to prepare it. There's no actual ingredients list, though, so I'm most concerned about added sugars and preservatives in the meat and whatnot. I don't think it would be too hard to set up a meeting with someone on campus to ask where they get their meat, however.

Or am I just better off waiting until winter break starts?

• Moderators

Your meal plans will not include grass-fed or organic foods, but that is totally fine. The Whole30 does not require special quality food to work. Cafeterias often make use of sauces and thickeners that will include off-plan ingredients. Talking with a manager or cook might be helpful, but I expect the practice is so pervasive, you might have trouble making all meals fully Whole30-compliant. However, you can improve your health by following the meal template guidelines as best you can with what you have.

Thanks so much for your response! I'm thankful that it won't be such a roadblock that I can't attempt it, as I'm very excited to give the Whole30 a go, even if I can't be wholly compliant 100% of the time given the situation. I will definitely have a chat with someone in-the-know when I get on campus to find out all that I can and go from there. :) I think I will also do a second one over break when I can fully control how my food is made.

Haha, thanks to both of you! I am very happy I found this program before going back. :)  And that sounds like a great plan, Gojo. I think it would be fun and well, they would be dragged along for the ride partially anyways because I do a lot of the cooking when I'm home as they both work! I may convince a close friend of mine to join me at college, but who knows.

Archived