Coconut Flakes

Just curious, what does everyone use coconut flakes for?  I know I came across them in something I read - skimmed the book again and I'm not finding it there.  I bought some yesterday at the market (honestly not sure why!).  Thanks!

• Moderators

They're a fat source. If I have fruit with a meal, sometimes I'll sprinkle them on the fruit. You can toast them and add them to salads for a bit of crunch/texture. Well Fed 2 has a spice mix type thing that uses them, I think it's called Magic Dust, that I really like, but don't make often because I'll sit and eat it by itself. Pretty sure that's not how spice mixes are supposed to be used.  :) You can also use them to make coconut butter, but I haven't tried that, and I think they're used to make your own coconut milk, but I haven't tried that either.

I've been using them to make monkey salad all the time. 

Sorry, I can't not say something about this: eating monkey salad "all the time" is NOT a good choice during a whole30. I know, people on the internet said it was and I'm sorry they tricked you. Monkey salad might be ok as a small portion in another meal one time, but most people eat this in place of breakfast and that makes me sad. The best results during the whole30 come from eating protein, vegetables and fat at every meal, not eating a fruit and nut salad designed to remind you of your previous sweet/carb-heavy breakfast. Why do all this hard work to be "technically compliant"? Why not go all the way?

Here is the meal template: http://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-meal-planning.pdf

Sorry, I can't not say something about this: eating monkey salad "all the time" is NOT a good choice during a whole30. I know, people on the internet said it was and I'm sorry they tricked you. Monkey salad might be ok as a small portion in another meal one time, but most people eat this in place of breakfast and that makes me sad. The best results during the whole30 come from eating protein, vegetables and fat at every meal, not eating a fruit and nut salad designed to remind you of your previous sweet/carb-heavy breakfast. Why do all this hard work to be "technically compliant"? Why not go all the way?

Here is the meal template: http://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-meal-planning.pdf

Absolutely agree; I have exaggerated somewhat in my attempt to help someone find a use for a food they aren't familiar with. I haven't had this fruit salad every day, not even close. 1x week would be more accurate & as a side dish to my protein/veggie. I did make it with a dinner one night when the bananas were about to go (they ripen so quick in my house!), so make that 3x. I viewed it as the lesser of evils. I feel a little defensive on the breakfast issue in general though - many people eat carb heavy breakfasts and that is tough to switch from - but I am not one of them. I haven't had cereal in nearly a year, not oatmeal, waffles, none of that for breakfast. I prefer eggs & sausage. And when I don't have time to cook that, I have compliant lunch meat, zuke slices, & sometimes, the monkey salad.

That being said, back to the original question - coconut flakes? How about trying some of the recipes at the bottom of the trop traditions page?

Thanks everyone for the responses!

Clabbergirl - thanks for the link, I'll check it out!

Missmary - thanks for the side note on not using them daily in things like fruit salad.  That's a bit of a fear for me since I love things like that so much and don't want to pick up a crutch.  I snagged these at the store and I'm sure I'll incorporate them with ideas mentioned (including a small fruit topping like Clabbergirl mentioned) I just won't make it a meal  -  like clabbergirl mentioned she doesn't!  Thanks again:)

I like to toast them and add some sunrise spice from Well Fed 2 - great extra fat source at a meal or emergency snack. This is seriously the only way I like coconut! (disclaimer: snacking is not ideal, be cautious if these are a food without brakes, etc, etc :) )

• 4 years later...

I eat cups of shredded unsulphured coconut at atime

after a meal. as a dessert 

as a mid meal snack, and a late night snack

I find that almonds are also a good source for snacking.

Although i am eating alll the permissible foods, i am probably eating too much of it. And i don't feel a weight loss, and i also don't feel the mood upper lifter.

• Administrators
24 minutes ago, Akikaki said:

I eat cups of shredded unsulphured coconut at atime

after a meal. as a dessert 

as a mid meal snack, and a late night snack

I find that almonds are also a good source for snacking.

Although i am eating alll the permissible foods, i am probably eating too much of it. And i don't feel a weight loss, and i also don't feel the mood upper lifter.

You may wish to compose your meals in a way that you are at to comfortably make it 4-5 hours between, thus negating the need for snacks.

• 11 months later...
1 hour ago, Alexendra said:

When I first heard about coconut as a substitute in cooking I was definitely curious. It is amazing substitute that can be used in a variety of ways: from pizza to salads to wraps and more

Coconut can be used for many things, but pizzas and wraps and lots of other things are definitely not ok on Whole30. 

Archived