Starting 1st Whole30 soon, looking for help with IBS questions

Hello,

I just finished reading my copy of "It Starts with Food" and am very excited to begin my first Whole30. I plan to start this Friday. I am female, in my upper 20's. My problem is that I also suffer from IBS and I am a little confused as to how I should approach this first Whole30. I was diagnosed with IBS 11 years ago. I had all the tests, and aside from my lactose intolerance test coming back positive, everything else was "normal" and was therefore given the awful and incredibly frustrating diagnosis of IBS, diarrhea predominant. Over the years my symptoms have been all over the place. A few years ago I had it pretty well under control, even weaning myself off of all prescription meds, but still relying heavily on Immodium. This was until I began a job on 3rd shift and everything basically went to heck, all symptoms resurfaced and I am currently taking 8 different medications. Some are to help specifically with the IBS, while others are for hypothyroidism, the fact that I am low testosterone and low vitamin D3. Thankfully I am now off of third shift and just by doing that alone I have found quite a bit of relief but not enough that I feel anywhere "normal" yet. I don't even remember what it's like to have a "normal" gastrointestinal system anymore. I have tried elimination diets in the past where I eliminate one food group at a time. Nothing really ever came of those. The only thing I know for sure is that straight milk, broccoli, and cabbage are all big no-no's for me.

My question is: this being my first Whole30 do I start with the regular program and see how that goes first? (Obviously I would not eat the broccoli or cabbage) Or do I try the IBS recommendations in the book right away? Or do I try a low FODMAP plan right from the start? I'm also wondering about the autoimmune plan? Obviously I could use some direction so if anyone has any advice I would be very grateful to hear it. Thank you.

I would follow the books recommendation for IBS. Try it for 30 days, if you feel better then do the reintroduction phase. If you still have a few problems continue with 60 or 90 days. I have Crohn's and almost done with the AIP, so I understand your frustration with not having a "normal" GI tract.

• Moderators

You should start with the IBS modifications to the standard Whole30 protocol per the guidance in It Starts With Food while avoiding your known trigger foods of broccoli and cabbage. Adjusting to the standard Whole30 protocol is enough to start with, so we don't recommend going to the full AIP or low FODMAP diet unless you don't see improvements. And as the book cautions, this is a slow process for people with serious digestive issues. You are looking for noticeable symptom relief in the first 30 days, not a completely changed life. 

Thank you everyone. Your input really helps. Especially because I spent an hour prior to writing this post searching the forum and reading as much as I could about anyone who posted about IBS. Unfortunately because it is such an individualized problem, everyone had a different way of approaching this issue and everyone had their own very specific triggers which only made me even more confused as to how I should begin. I am going to follow your advice and follow the standard plan with the IBS modifications to start. I will be ecstatic with even a moderate amount of relief in the first 30 days so here's hoping...fingers crossed, and thanks again.

Archived