Sugar reintroduction - insomnia?

I am not reintroducing too much since I like eating gluten and dairy free.  Plan on having the occasional ice cream treat, but pretty much dairy free.  I have bad reactions to gluten (possible Celiac) so I have no desire to rock the boat.  I did, however, want to reintroduce some sugar.  I first tried a glass of sweet red wine.  I had a horrible night of sleep following the one glass.  Woke up at least 10 times and felt exhausted the next day.  Over the weekend I tried a few cider beers and while I slept better, I woke up the next day looking like I was five months pregnant.  The bloat went around my waist as well.   Waited a few days and last night had a bowl of ice cream (coffee toffee crunch....).  I again had a horrible night of sleep.  Definitely noticing insomnia as a result of sugar intake.  What exactly causes this?  Am I just sensitive to sugar or is there something medically going on?

Guest Andria

I notice I have similar issues with sugar intake (mostly if it is in the evening) causing some level of insomnia. I think you have to consider that the alcohol had a responsibility, as well, since 2 of the instance were after you had some alcohol. To answer your question, though, I think it has to do with blood sugar instability. So if you eat something sugary before bed it is not going to keep your blood sugar levels as stable as a balanced meal (protein/carb/fat) would. You get a blood sugar spike and then a rapid fall in your blood sugar after insulin kicks in, adrenaline and cortisol will subsequently increase to help elevate your blood sugar back to a normal level. The surge in adrenaline and cortisol will cause you to wake.  So it is all about keeping your blood sugar stable :)

I forgot to mention that I got stung four times yesterday by a yellow jacket and had an allergic reaction. I am taking Prednisone for four days. I read that it can cause sleep issues so I'm chalking up last night to the drugs.,.

I used to enjoy a glass or two of red wine daily or the cider beer. While I don't plan on going back to those daily indulgences I was hoping to enjoy a few on the weekend.

Its not gluten as I've not had issues in the past and what I drink is verified gluten free.

Kind of crazy what sugar can do isn't it?

I would just wonder if it's really the sugar since you've had sugar and alcohol, and then sugar and dairy... I'm wondering if you tried something like a few hard candies or sweet tea or something like that, if it wouldn't be a more accurate way to gauge if it's really the sugar or not.

I've not reintroduced alcohol yet, but I know that I had a drastic difference in how it affected me (and what a small amount it takes) once I switched to paleo... and if I have dairy, I don't sleep well that night.  It's taken a few tries and narrowing things down carefully to single out the culprit on that one.  You definitely know your body best, though... just sharing my 2 cents :)

Archived