early morning pre/post/breakfast meal ideas in a rush

debgm123

I am starting my very first whole 30 adventure next week. My biggest concerns so far are how I am going to handle consuming some type of pre-workout nutrition each morning then how I will handle breakfast afterwards before I rush to work.

First I take Levothyroxine each morning for my thyroid and of course you can't eat for at least 30-60 minutes so I can't just wake up and eat something. I already get up at 5:25 am each morning for my 6am boot camp class. I have always taken about 1/3 of a bottle of 5 hour energy (I know, not good) and 2 FRS chews. It is a hard workout and I feel I need something to get me going in the morning. Any advice on what I can do first thing in the morning for a little extra push?? I am a coffee drinker (skim milk and truvia which I know I will have to give up). Maybe a few swigs of black coffee??

Second, I already have to leave my workout a few minutes early to get home and get ready in enough time to be at work at 8am. I don't think I will have time to fix a full breakfast.  I have always eaten greek yogurt with granola and grapes and taken it with me to work. This has always been quick and easy and I know I'll have to give that up as well. What suggestions do you have for post workout food ideas and breakfast ideas that can all be done quickly.

Guest WholeStanley

I think pre-work out meals involve a lot of personal trial and error for what works for you. Can you eat before you take the Levothyroxine?

For my pre work out I always have a small portion of protein and a small portion of fat.

Example protein

- couple of forkfuls of chicken breast

- couple of forfuls of tinned tuna/mackaral/salmon/sardines

- 4-5 prawns

- 1/4 of left over home made burger

- cooked egg whites

- boiled egg (sometimes just half - and I add less fat to this)

Example fat

- 3-4 almonds/cashews/macadamia nuts

- spoonful of avocado

- couple of olives

I just combine 1 from the first list, and 1 from the second - depending on what i've got in the fridge

Guest WholeStanley

o right sorry - my response wasn't that helpful then! How about you set your alarm 30 mins earlier, but you don't get out of bed you just take your medicine and then head pack to sleep for half an hour, and then when you do wake up you can start your day as normal and eat as soon as you're up?

o right sorry - my response wasn't that helpful then! How about you set your alarm 30 mins earlier, but you don't get out of bed you just take your medicine and then head pack to sleep for half an hour, and then when you do wake up you can start your day as normal and eat as soon as you're up?

Whole Stanley... :D.   You make me smile. 

• Moderators

Your schedule is not conducive to ideal nutrition. :) I know it seems like an awful lot of work now, but when you get in the habit of seriously nourishing your body properly, it really is worth it. 

Once you get into the swing of a Whole30, you may find that you are less dependent on caffeine to jazz you up in the morning, but some black coffee is okay.

I could eat one boiled egg as I began a boot camp class (30 minutes after taking meds) and be fine. That is a good choice if you can, but you can workout with nothing to eat if it makes you puke. 

An ideal post-workout meal would be to eat some cold chicken breast in the car as you go home to prepare for work. Then to save time, you will need to have prepared breakfast the night before so all you have to do in the morning is heat and eat (or eat cold). 

You can eat anything for breakfast. I've been eating roast beef or ground beef with kale, onions, and tomatoes all week as breakfast to use the meat before it spoils (leftovers from a cooking demo where I ran out of time). I've had fish stewed in marinara sauce as breakfast. An easy, portable, cold breakfast that you might make is chicken salad or tuna salad. They are a great way to combine protein, fat, and veggies in something that is easy to transport and does not need to be heated before eating. 

Thanks for the suggestions. I don't know why starting something like this makes me so nervous but I am so glad to have found these forums. The key is preparation!!! I agree, getting up a little earlier and planning meals the night before are going to be my best options. I think I will also head to the store tonight and buy a few cookbooks. That will continue to ease my mind. It looks like Wellfed and Nom Nom Paleo seem to be popular choices by others.

I second what Tom says - eat a post-WO snack of chicken and sweet potato straight after your WO, get ready for work and as you're leaving grab your pre-prepared salad/meal from the fridge to eat for breakfast once you get to work. Easy as. It just means that the night before you're prepping two meals for the next day: breakfast and lunch.

Does the energy drink/chews not interfere with your meds already? Can you not just directly sub a hardboiled egg for those?

Very good observation that the energy drink/chews are probably already interfering with my medicine. I need to get off of those completely anyways.  I will find out if I can take the medicine at night. I was just under the impression you needed to take it on an empty stomach so that would mean mornings.

I have an early morning start too, and refuse to get up earlier than I already do.

I usually eat an egg or just a coffee with coconut milk right before workout. I guess you could do that right before you start your exercise at 6:00 and still have your empty stomach for the levaxine if you take that at 5:27. (I am giving you a full 2 minutes to get your head off the pillow here. :D)

For post-wo or on non-wo days I bring 2-3 eggs and a handfull tomatoes or other veggies to work and eat at my desk. If I make a big batch of sweet potato hash at the beginning of the week I portion it into boxes and bring one per day.

I love to eat fancy cooked breakfasts but that will have to be on the weekend. During the week I just grab my precooked eggs and veg and run out the door. I choose that extra 20 min of sleep because I need it. Keep it simple, is my best advice. That makes the lifestyle change more sustainable.

• Moderators

Besides leftover meat which I reheat with some veggies and an egg I like:

• soup (I adore Silky Gingered Zucchini soup from Well Fed 2 and make it often)
  • mini-frittatas (Nom Nom Paleo has a great recipe) - most portable breakfast ever
  • hard boiled eggs, I bring some homemade mayo or Frank's hot sauce to top them with
  • Velvety Butternut Squash from Well Fed. Delicious hot or cold and great amount of carbs post-workout.

Archived