Starting July 28 - It's prep weekend!!

dloslo

A little about me... I am a 42 year old mother of 7, I am a full-time student (finishing my masters degree this year) and I work full-time.  I was diagnosed with thyroid cancer in February of 2012 and have struggled with my health ever since (in hindsight I had been struggling for YEARS prior too).

I just finished watching "Hungry for a Change" on Netflix.  Several readings led me to the Whole30 website.  I am officially announcing that I am stating on Monday July 28.  This will allow me the entire weekend to get prepared and completely organized with all this information.  My hope is that I can have 30 days of meal plans all completely lad out by Saturday.  I am most successful when everything is completely spelled out and organized so this will help me complete the 30 days.  I plan on keeping a journal to track my the meal plan that I create, my water intake, foods, as well as my thoughts and reviews on the recipes so that I know later if it will be a repeat recipe for future use.  I look forward to reading through the posts and learning from those that are already well in the program.  I am excited to see what the next 30 days has in store for me and even more excited to see how it changes my life.  I think I'm ready!!

Let's get this started!! 

I'm starting tomorrow so I'll be a day ahead.  I was on day 11 when I fell off.  Attending a birth for 18 hours, I just didn't make it.  I should have cooked ahead but two clients were sent in to be induced.  Ahhh!

I'm Naomi and I am a birth doula!  I coah moms through childbirth.  I will be better prepared next time, I sucessfully road tripped and attended two births last whole30 I did, so I know I can do that again.

I'm starting on the 27th! My husband and I are doing this together. We just got back grocery shopping and tomorrow we are prepping for the week! We bought a lot of meat we plan to grill to stay on track for lunches!

I'm Nikki and I am an occupational therapist. I have recently, in the last year, made my health and fitness a priority to become a better me!

Hi everyone! Am starting Whole30 as part of a Lyme treatment protocol on the advice o my doc. Am really shocked after reading the book about how my "healthy" diet is likely causing so much trouble. Sending good thoughts out to all of us - esp those just starting. Glad to see there are some husband/wife teams doing it together! What a wonderful support you can be for each other!

Hi everyone, I am starting Monday 28th. I know there is a big launch date for 1 August but I wanted to just get into it! I have been preparing all night to start tomorrow. Excited but really nervous! For the first time I am doing this Program for my health not for weight loss. Everything I have ever done has centred around weight loss and my health was never at the forefront! Now with three children five and under I want to be the fittest and healthiest version of me! My husband is supporting me too which is great! Feel a bit scared about the withdrawal from sugar and carbs but I am determined to do this!

Hi everyone,  today I am going over my prep to make sure I have everything I need. I should be good with prepared meat so it is just the veggies. I am so addicted to carbs and sugar it is unreal. Since I am on the Leakey Gut diet while I am doing this it makes it much harder. I am whole30 compliant but no night shade vegetables, fungi, gee, eggs, nuts (that’s the killer), and I have to take it easy on garlic & onions (which I will probably have to eliminate too). I made it through successfully in Feb but have had a hard time doing it ever since. I will need to be on this eating plan for a while.

Here are my goals for this Whole30 I really need to make it through this time.

1. Nutrition: Break the hold of the sugar dragon by following the Leakey Gut diet, reading daily newsletters, posting here, & food log

2. Sleep: I will get into bed by 9 pm if not 8:30 pm as many nights as I can. I have to at least get 4 in.

3. Stress Management: Look at my stress triggers. When I feel or realized I am stressed I am going to stop and find a way to relax by taking 5 min break, taking deep breaths, taking a short walk, or just telling myself it is ok. Do something else, anything else besides obsessing over food you can't have.

4. Exercise: continue to do my morning routine 6/per week and get in 1-2: 20-30 min walks per week.

Okay so I guess I was destined for the 28th.  My husband brought me a big cup of joe to wake me up and not thinking I drank it.  During whole30 I drink it with just coconut milk.  Oh well.  Monday it is.  I'll probably whole30 it the rest of the day though.  No need in eating crap over coffee lol

So I have gone shopping for veggies and did all of my prep for food. I cleaned all of my fruits & veggies. I made cauliflower rice, roasted broccolini with Trader Joes 21 salute, & sautéed brussels sprouts. I even prepped my breakfast for tomorrow. I am having asian marinated salmon (fish sauce, coconut oil, sesame seed oil, eevo, coconut aminos, powdered ginger, TJ 21 salute) with thai coconut stir-fry veggies (fish sauce, coconut aminos, TJ 21 salute, green thai curry paste). Hoping it is good since I came up with the recipes myself. My last supper (ha ha) is going to be Corn Beef, cabbage, & carrots. So looking forward to that tonight.

Hi! I start July 28th as well. I'm doing the Whole30 because I realize I need to change my eating habits. I don't feel healthy and I'm constantly tired. I'm simultaneously excited and nervous about starting the Whole30!

Starting tomorrow morning! :) Very excited!!! I'm new to whole30 but familiar w/ super clean eating and have gotten way off track! Eager to detox and get my energy roaring! I did my food shopping, most of it, have a meal plan ready, think I got the rules down, let's do this! I'm particularly excited because I have heard the support here is great and something about 95% of those who start the program finish the 30 days… sounds good to me :)

Hello all - I'm on board for the 28th start!  I have completed 2 prior whole 30's - they're tough sometimes - but worth it!  I am an expat living in Shanghai China (the land of noodles and dumplings) - so it is sometimes a challenge for me to get all the funky western ingredients to cook up really tasty meals - but I can always fall back on meat and veg. I've spent the day cooking up paleo fried rice, some curry and a couple of other easy grab lunches and dinners. I've got nuts to snack on and all my herbal teas ready to go. 

checking in on this forum keeps me on track - You keep me honest and make me feel part of a community! I've been feeling really wrung out and tired lately - really off the ball - so I am looking forward to the sense of wellbeing the whole 30 brings!

So let's do it !!!

Day one and got everything prepped. I am feeling pretty good about how well I set up my week. I have all of my 4 goals easy and doable. I have them posted around the house (especially on cupboards I am not supposed to be going into LOL). What are everyone else's goals?

My family all knows and are being very supportive. I am also hoping to help improve my Mom's eating too. She will eat what I fix. Only thing is I can't do chicken and she doesn't like turkey so sometimes I will be making 2 different things. I have my bone broth prepped for the carb flu that will be coming up. 

My food today should be:

Asian salmon with veggie stir-fry (bok choy, carrots, brocolini)

Lamb & green beans

Mixed greens and turkey

Looking forward to doing this with all of you. Yes ozmermad let's do this!

Hey ya'll! I'll join your party too! :D I started on the 27th. I'm 34 years old and a single mom of a very supportive 12 year old boy. This is my second round of the whole30. My first go round I lost 14 lbs and 4 inches from my waist and gained the self confidence to get a promotion at work and a new appreciation for cooking. My first round I focused soley on the food aspect and didn't exercise much at all. This time I will be kicking it up a notch by working out every day.

My son joined me during the first round for breakfast and dinner while still eating his same lunches. I'm hoping to start transitioning him to healthier lunch options this time. He loves the way I have been cooking and that we start our day with a home cooked breakfast eaten together. He has also loved all of the new recipes!! I love that he is so supportive of me and I know it would be more of a challenge if he wasn't so open minded. If you all don't have that support at home, hopefully we can all give you that support virtually!!!

Have a great day!!!

Sarah

Hello everyone!

I too am starting today (7/28). I hope all of you are excited to get moving on the program and share your struggles and successes! I'm the only one of my family and friends to be doing this because i'm ready to make a change in my relationship with food. 

I am a 22 year old recent college graduate living in Northern California in the Central Valley. I see we have a North Carolinian posting, I was raised in the Tarheel State and graduated college at UNC- Charlotte.

I wish everyone here the best of luck and look forward to hearing from all of you!

Christina

I started today!! It felt like a normal day for the most part, besides using clarified butter and forcing my mind away from cravings (I've got a long way to go). My diet throughout my life has been nowhere near perfect but I do make it a priority to eat whole, real, natural, organic foods as much as possible. Dairy, namely cheese, is going to be the hardest thing to live without I think. I. LOVE. CHEESE. in all its glorious forms. 

I'm used to eating small meals 4-5 times per day, so eating enough at one time to keep me full until the next meal sounded like a challenge. It wasn't that bad today though. I found myself not wanting to finish my dinner because I was full. I think the main reason is that I slowed down to pay attention to my food, didn't have any distractions, and drank a lot of water with my meal. In other words, paying attention to my body's signals that I was full (what a concept), in addition to eating real, whole foods that don't cloud my tongue, body, and brain's judgement with all their processed crap.

I am really excited to embark on this journey and see where it takes me. I do already feel nauseous and am dreading the thought of spinach in the morning. This is a lot of work. Just trying to stay on top of preparation. For now I'm figuring it out as I go with recipes, and once I'm sick of those, I'll try some new things. 

Congratulations everyone, we made it through day one. I am not feeling great this morning but I know it will pass in a few days. To help with the nausea I am going to have some bone broth and some sparkling water with some fresh grated ginger and lemon. That should help. I am hoping that the headache I still have doesn't turn into a migraine. I have so much work to do today. I am going to take a light 20 min walk to help get the blood flowing a little bit but I am not going to tax myself. I will do a little stretching too.

I did good yesterday. The funny thing is that I craved white rice and usually it is cookies or sugar. I work at a house where one of my employers bakes cookies and breads to sell so it can be a challenge. That was my down fall the last time I tried it. So I am now getting myself prepared for when she cooks again.

I have been having a hard time eating because I have this bitter taste in my mouth when I eat. Went to the doctor/nutritionist so I have some supplements for it. I am hoping it doesn't last for long. But hey even the sugery, salty, fatty bad stuff tastes like shit now.

Today's food should by:

Ground beef or lamb and spinach

Turkey soup

Mixed greens with turkey

By the way as I post my food I know that I am eating more often than is recommended but I am hypoglycemic and I can't let my self go hungry at all per my doctor with the leakey gut diet.

I'm starting today. I tried starting at the beginning of July and last about 11 days. I didn't reach out for any support though and when I went to the lake for the weekend I quickly fell off the band wagon. Just trying to get my eating to a more healthy place and not need to drink as often as I do. I'm a wino so it's easy to have a few glasses and then eat whatever I see.

I'm a day behind but looking forward to doing it with a group :)

I'm kind of bumming today. I know it's only day 2 so it's prob some sort of withdrawal symptoms. I don't have a headache but I just feel nauseous and all I want is toast with butter and jelly. Like I'm sad that I can't have it lol. The sparkling water with fresh grated ginger and lemon that EJSmadHatter mentioned sounds like a good idea though. I'll get on that tonight. The thought of continuously making all this healthy food actually makes me lose my appetite. Going to have to try some new recipes soon.

I'm starting today. I tried starting at the beginning of July and last about 11 days. I didn't reach out for any support though and when I went to the lake for the weekend I quickly fell off the band wagon. Just trying to get my eating to a more healthy place and not need to drink as often as I do. I'm a wino so it's easy to have a few glasses and then eat whatever I see.

I'm a day behind but looking forward to doing it with a group :)

Welcome to the group and glad you have joined us

I'm kind of bumming today. I know it's only day 2 so it's prob some sort of withdrawal symptoms. I don't have a headache but I just feel nauseous and all I want is toast with butter and jelly. Like I'm sad that I can't have it lol. The sparkling water with fresh grated ginger and lemon that EJSmadHatter mentioned sounds like a good idea though. I'll get on that tonight. The thought of continuously making all this healthy food actually makes me lose my appetite. Going to have to try some new recipes soon.

Sometimes just keeping it very simple also helps. I brown a lot of ground meat and then freeze it. When I make it I can then add any spice I want to it. It is great for emergencies. There are also many great recipes that they recommend on the daily news letter. I am with you though...my calling is hamburger with french fries. 

Hey all,

Happy Day 3 for me (and to you all--whatever day you're on)!

I have hidden the scale. I'm now truly not checking until August 25th when I'm finished.

I wanted to share a DELICIOUS dish I made last night (photo here). I basically made it up, but here's the recipe sort of:

2lbs ground lamb*

2 medium eggplants

1 large yellow onion

~5 spoonfuls of green curry paste (you can make homemade but I have some compliant)

cumin to taste

1 small can tomato paste

2 cans coconut milk

Brown the lamb and onion, remove grease--add all the other ingredients and bring to a simmer. When eggplant is soft, it's ready. I bet it'd be super yummy served over veggies, rice, potatoes or even pasta, but it's pretty yummy all on its own, too. 

*If you don't like lamb, it is good with other meat. The eggplant/curry/cumin felt Mediterranean, so I went with lamb. But ground beef or chicken would work too. 

Archived