How long between meals and PWO

Sophie_

Hi ! I will start a Whole30 on August 1st and I have a question about meal time.

These days, I eat 100 % / 80 % of the time, my "schedule" of meal and workout look like this:

7:00 Breakfast

12:00 Lunch

16:00 Snack

17:00 to 18:00 workout

19:00 Diner

I read that in a whole 30 we should eat 15-75 min pre-workout, so I'm ok for that. But I also read that I should eat immediately following exercise (or maybe we should eat before OR after... that's not clear for me)

So should we eat before AND after a workout ?

I really love to eat freshly cooked meal once a day, but because I lunch at the job and I come home at 18:15, if I need to eat 15-30 min after my workout it means that I will need to precook my lunch AND my diner.

Should I eat at 16:00 and 18:15 ?

This is what my day looks like, and granted I don't work during the summer so it is easier for me.  I set out not to snack and only have my 3 meals, ensuring they are balanced with the protein, veg and fat.  I am not strict on the working out 15-75 minutes after I eat.  I am only jog/walking right now, so maybe once the intensity increases I will change that.

B:8:00

exercise: between 10:00-12:00

L: 1:00

D: 6:00

"Note, your PWO meal is a special bonus meal-not meant to replace breakfast, lunch or dinner.  Think of it as a necessary source of additional calories and nutrients, designed to help you recover faster and more efficiently from high intensity exercise."

• Moderators

The meal planning template outlines this for you: http://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-meal-planning.pdf

The ideal is to eat a pre-workout and post-workout meal in addition to three regular meals per day, so a total of five meals on days you workout. Now here are ways you can adjust... If you are working out soon after a regular meal, you don't need to eat a pre-workout meal. I tend to train between 1 and 1.5 hours after breakfast, so never eat a pre-workout meal. The ideal after a hard workout is to eat lean protein within 15-30 minutes because your muscles are especially ready to eat during that window. If you delay eating, you probably won't recover as fully or as fast. I thought post-workout protein was silly until I tried it. What I noticed is that I genuinely recovered better when I ate lean protein immediately after completing my workout. When I was going to the gym, I ate a can of tuna at the gym as my post-workout meal and then came home, prepared, and ate my lunch maybe 30-45 minutes afterwards. 

So am I understanding this correctly?

Example:

Wake at 7am, eat pre wo by 8

Workout at 9 am, eat post wo as breakfast, is that ok.

Or should I eat post wo and then regular breakfast at 1030 ish?

Lunch

Dinner

The meal planning template outlines this for you: http://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-meal-planning.pdf

The ideal is to eat a pre-workout and post-workout meal in addition to three regular meals per day, so a total of five meals on days you workout. Now here are ways you can adjust... If you are working out soon after a regular meal, you don't need to eat a pre-workout meal. I tend to train between 1 and 1.5 hours after breakfast, so never eat a pre-workout meal. The ideal after a hard workout is to eat lean protein within 15-30 minutes because your muscles are especially ready to eat during that window. If you delay eating, you probably won't recover as fully or as fast. I thought post-workout protein was silly until I tried it. What I noticed is that I genuinely recovered better when I ate lean protein immediately after completing my workout. When I was going to the gym, I ate a can of tuna at the gym as my post-workout meal and then came home, prepared, and ate my lunch maybe 30-45 minutes afterwards.

Archived