Started Today, August 11!

jessomesso

Hi all!

I'm Jess, a 34 year old graduate student who is trying to figure out once and for all what her body needs to eat! I am starting my Whole 30 today, which is not as big of a change as it is for many as I am allergic to (and actually don't eat - there were many years i was terrible about this) gluten, dairy, eggs (yolks and whites), walnuts, amaranth, quinoa, crab, oysters, coffee, mushrooms, corn, sesame, sunflower, and oats. I also don't tolerate soy well, so don't eat a lot of that.

I would like to eat really clean to heal my leaky gut once and for all, so that the skin rashes I get stop, and that maybe some of the allergies turn out not to be allergies after all! In particular, I would really like to eat eggs again. I don't have any problem eating mostly grain-free (with occasional rice) forever, so I'm not concerned about the grains, but feeling like I have to be so randomly restrictive when I eat in any space besides my own home is complicated both on a convenience level and also an emotional level. It is difficult because the only visible signs of some of these allergies (say sunflower and sesame) are a rash on the underside of my jawline, which is easy to ignore. Gluten and dairy, however, are definitely way more extreme, and affect me psychologically as well as physically.

I think I'm in a pretty good place to be doing this, I live alone, so don't need to fight anyone about the meal plan, and classes don't start again until late September, so it is a relatively stress-free time to make some changes. What I'm looking for here is support - while my friends are all supportive of my choices, it's in a slightly patronizing way, and I need a community that I can talk about how I feel with in an honest way without feeling judged.

Biggest concerns for me are giving up my occasional squares of Lindt 90% chocolate (sigh), the glass or two of red wine I have most nights, Daiya cheese, and honey in my tea. Let's go willpower!!! :)

If anyone else is starting now, I'm happy to be a supporter!

Jess

Sounds great Carol! I made it through lunch so far, and am drinking lots of seltzer with lime to try and keep food cravings at bay. So far so good, but I'm worried about later this week, as the PMS cravings should kick in... fingers crossed!

Best of luck Jess. It sounds like you are very in-tune with your allergies and those items that effect you mentally and physically.

Hopefully this Whole30 can help you narrow down a few other things that are causing you stress.

We are all here to support you in any way we can.

Welcome

Thanks everyone! So far, so good (except forgetting to eat for too long today and then getting spacey) and I've been pretty peaceful with the process as of yet. This week when I'm PMSy and working should be quite interesting, I think, but fingers crossed!!! :)

I totally have enough willpower, but definitely feeling the lack of sugar today. UGH! Must not kill co-workers, must not eat cookies. The worst part is I found an 85% dark chocolate bar in my desk that I have to ignore... Shouldn't be a problem, but knowing it's so close is painful!

formercupcakejunkie, that's got to be tough! At least it's summer, so there isn't as much junk at work because many are on vacation in my office. however, I'm having a hard time deciding whether to attend the events friends have and suffer through not eating anything I dont bring, or just continuing to hide out at home and ignore everyone. :) I have a party I should go to on Saturday that will last most of the day, and I'll have to pack snacks for an army to survive! We'll see.... That will be day 8 - some of the sugar demons should be a little calmer by then I hope!

Archived