One last swing at a Whole30

tinman57

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh am so glad you made it.  You don't look like a person who needs to loose weight anyway.  It is how you are feeling.  I jumped to your page 7 and didn't see your post at first.  You have made my day.  Ps.  I would have my picture on here but I can't get one small enough it seems.  Ha I always find that funny

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all!  December 1 is coming up on me.  Though I didn't do a Whole7 I realize that I want to do another Whole30.  (FOR THE HOLIDAYS?? ARE YOU KIDDING ME?)  Yup.  For the holidays. 

I don't have a lot of family left and no children so holidays for me are more about accomplishing things during my time off and spending time with my beloved husband.  I'm fortunate in that I'll get the whole week between Christmas Eve and New Year's off (give or take a day) so I can use that for really doing some serious organization and assessment in preparation for 2015.

For instance, rather than wait until Jan1  for a commitment to Paleo, why not do it December 1 and take something else on in January?  It's not like I don't see improvements in my health or well being when I eat that way.  I'd rather not make "food" my 2015 Resolution.  That's just silly.  It's like saying "Hey, my 2015 New Year's Resolution is to inhale!"  WOO HOO GO ME!  I think I'd rather clean the closet out.

So with that in mind, I'll be popping in and around and perhaps start another thread for myself to "compare and contrast" situations.  Or not.  I've already demonstrated I am flighty and disorganized! 

Thanks for checking in you guys.  It means a lot even if I don't say it.  Happy Thanksgiving for the Americans.  Happy weekend for the rest!

• 5 months later...

Well, there's never a last swing at a Whole30, really, is there?

I'm back again for a May Whole30.  Day 3 here and doing fine.  My head really feels like it's in the game this month. 

So far I've had some exacerbated allergy symptoms in the mornings and some stomach aches (gas and other digestive roller coasters) but I bought AND READ the new Whole30 book.  It's great by the way.  Get it if you can.  Some good looking recipes in there but moreover it's kind of a nice and focused synopsis of the Whole30 outside all the sciency stuff in It Starts With Food.

Finally got a kitchen back from a disastrous leak and did a right good cookup on the weekend with Joulwan's ginger zucchini soup, Michele Tam's spicy tuna patties, homemade mayo (Joulwan-style), and some compliant marinara and meatballs from my husband.  And zoodles for the first time ever.  They do not suck and too easy with the spiralizer thingie.

Anyway.  Day 3 (did I already mention that? yes I think I did).  I've got nothing but time stretching out in front of me with very little to challenge me except my big fat brain.

Started a new hobby that doesn't involve sitting on my rearend.  Birding.   I went at lunch to a botanical garden near me and identified a few birds with my iPhone bird app  (iMerlin from Cornell University).  I was so inspired by the pleasure of it I ordered a bird book for identifying birds.  I may not ever be Mr. Audubon but it's a very elegant pastime and I have many places I can go.

No -- it's not running a 5K but my FloJo days are long over.  And, if I start to feel like it, I'll go back to the track.  But I need an interest that doesn't involve sleeping.

Tinman!  It's great to see you still here!  I had been thinking about you lately :)

Best of luck to you on this w30 - and on the Birding.  I love when I see birds (and deer and squirrels) at play when I am on my hikes.  Never got much into trying to identify them, tho  :rolleyes:   guess I have just been happy to say "bird" :)

Thanks Kmlynne!

I wanna tell you, Day 3 (yesterday) was fairly horrific.  My stomach was just AWFUL.  I mean real pain/gas.  I was miserable but managed to sleep.  Sleep was disrupted two times with the last time at 11 pm when I groaned "oh jeebus, if this continues tomorrow I'm eating a slice of bread."

Fortunately, that was the last gripe.  I woke up this morning, realized it was a "day of rest" for my ab challenge so had a minor celebration which palled a bit because I realized I could have had fifteen more minutes of sleep.  Then I realized that the dream I was having when the alarm went off was bad so it was just as well I woke up.

Still not super stable on the stomach thing but miles better than last night.

Struggling a bit with a dark mood this week: work related and society related.  So I'm focusing on really productive stuff to help me feel maybe at least a little better.

Thanks, Kmlynne.  Feeling pretty perky.  My colleagues have accidentally made me perkier because they all seem to be agreeing with me today . . . AS THEY SHOULD!

I'm so happy I didn't face plant into a loaf of bread this morning.  I feel all virtuous and stuff.

My field guide to birds comes in tomorrow and I will celebrate it with a hike in a wilderness park (a juxtaposition of words which makes no sense -- like "jumbo shrimp" -- with a nod to George Carlin).  My husband knows I am around the bend already so this kind of frees me up to be a loon (no pun intended).

Lovely tuna cakes and zucchini soup for lunch again today.  And with that I will have a cocktail of Virtue.

Day 5.  My sleep was fine, I did day 5 (as well) of my 30 day Ab Challenge plus some primal essential movements. 

I'm a little groggy still, such that I parked in my "Napping spot" in the parking garage.  Yes.  I park in an obscure corner of the garage where no one else parks. (It's safe, trust me) and then I curl up in the back seat (after locking the doors) and get 20 minutes in.  It helps with my (long) commute home.

My stomach was much better last night.  Shortly after dinner was over, my brain was thinking "dessert" but my stomach was reacting to the dinner (gas pains).  So I just said "Never mind".  Which was a good formula for compliance with Whole30 -- totally unnatural for me but whatever.  Don't look a gift horse in the mouth.

Day 6 and my sinuses seem to be a little better (she said, tentatively). 

Instead of tea or coffee when I came in to work, I went with what the Lebanese call "white coffee".  A splash of orange blossom water topped off with boiling water in a tea cup.  Fragrant and calming.

My mood is very bad right now.  I don't know if it would be worse if it weren't for Whole30 but it's definitely justified.  (Work-related).

My stomach has settled down greatly and I am grateful!  That one night was just misery for me (was it Monday? Tuesday? who cares?).

• 1 month later...

And SCENE!

Time to do this again.  Just got finished reading a success story and gee, it really is a little insane isn't it?  I mean, what kind of animal writes down every bite they eat?  What kind of animal checks off all the little boxes?  What kind of animal obsesses the way I have and am doing.

I was reading through this blog a bit and realize I'm back where I was this time LAST year and possibly a little worse.  And I blame you all for that.

Okay maybe that's not so but you certainly don't expect ME to take the responsibility, do you?  Well? Do you??? 

Oh.

Archived