One last swing at a Whole30

tinman57

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day one dawned and so far life continues.  The end.

This would be why I will never be a writer.  :-)  To me it's all "Yup....what I wanted to have happen, happened."  Or "Nope, that didn't work out quite as I expected."  I try to limit the drama in my life a bit.

Going off to get some pseudo swimming in at lunch.  I'm a lousy swimmer but I have a kickboard and, while it probably isn't particularly GREAT exercise, it is at least movement of a sort.

Well good for me!  I went to the pool and splashed back and forth.  I conquered the fear that my suit might not fit, that other people would notice I was fat and that I flounder in water like ... well... I dunno.

1.  The suit fit -- snugly.

2.  Other people already notice I'm fat so how can this be any different.  It's not like it's a secret!

3.  Well, at least I was moving.

Well good for me!  I went to the pool and splashed back and forth.  I conquered the fear that my suit might not fit, that other people would notice I was fat and that I flounder in water like ... well... I dunno.  swim2.gif

1.  The suit fit -- snugly.

2.  Other people already notice I'm fat so how can this be any different.  It's not like it's a secret!

3.  Well, at least I was moving.

You're hilarious and it's so good to see you again. 

Day one is complete.

I've forgotten how good it feels to "get past" day one.  There were some significant discomforts during the day which were totally expected (to describe them would be to introduce an ick factor we don't need today) but I "stuck it" and I slept the sleep of the virtuous.  You know?  When you don't make particularly good choices and you wake up every two hours and give yourself a mental smack and the you stay awake promising you're going to be good the next day?  That would NOT be the sleep of the virtuous but the sleep of the guilty self-obsessed compulsive middle aged hag.

Well, maybe that's only me.

Anyway -- a good and conscience clear sleep was had with a note to myself to say "Okay -- so you feel good today.  Do you remember how lousy you felt over the last few days?  Now, keep that somewhere and refer back to it when things even out and you're getting bored."

Because I'm a fan of Mark Sisson, I've been walking barefoot from my car in the morning to my office.  It's maybe 5 blocks so let's not get all excited.  What I HAVE noticed (outside of the fact that my silver hair and my bare feet seem to draw some inquisitive looks) is that walking barefoot (not something I did much as a child or young adult -- or basically, at all) is an entirely different experience.  I don't want to get all "zen" or "hippy" about it but honestly, connecting so directly with the different pavements (I'm not ready for grass and dirt yet) has an odd effect on me mentally.  This may be the newness of the experience.  But it tends to "lighten" my step and quicken my stride.  I really do feel just a bit stronger than when I have shoes on.

Ommmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Well so much for avoiding being a hippy.  OKAY.  I'm a hippy.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

August 11th is my next Whole30.  It's perfect timing in between big deals with time to reintroduce at the end.  I'm almost relieved!

That doesn't mean between now and then I'm going to go ape---t.  But I do look forward to Tuesday the 11th and will resubscribe to Whole30 emails as though I were a total newbie.

I have the Whole30 book and will start to re-read that (or rather, read it in detail) along with another go at "It Starts With Food".  I think they're good companion books and I have a few long flights this weekend which will enable me to indulge my inner obsessive compulsiveness.

Hope all is well with everyone.

As it turns out, just enough physical discomfort was experienced by me in the last day and a half that I really need to tighten back up sooner than the 11th.  But the official start is still the 11th.  The concept of traveling to a wedding 3000 miles away over the weekend is not one that lends itself to Whole30-ism.  I'll be exhausted, I'll be with people I don't know and I'll be exhausted. 

But between now and a week from today, I know what I can do to make myself feel slightly better. 

DAY ONE!  Duh duh duuuuuuuh

I was on the east coast for a wedding during the weekend so feel just a bit awhirl.  Nothing like a flight on Friday, a wedding on Saturday and a flight on Sunday to make my head buzz.  Then of course Monday was for nothing but getting rid of the stuff in the fridge that I won't be eating for a month.  The only way to do so is of course to consume it.  So I feel like garbage now.  Deservedly so.

Used up my butternut squash and leek from my farm (CSA) boxfor a nice soup, used basil from the same place with tomatoes fromanother farm store for a tomato basil salad and then some chicken thigh meat.   It's a lot prettier in person.

post-32723-0-27835700-1439303363_thumb.j

• 4 months later...

Well, that didn't quite work out the way I'd planned but that's okay.   I have had some real challenges this past week and there's no denying that.  While I may not yet do another Whole30 (I'm thinking, I'm thinking) I will at least strive to be as "clean" as I can.  That's not a huge challenge for me except with the occasional pizza and not so occasional wine.  And did I mention chocolate?  But other than that, I'm eating "clean"!  BWAAHAHAHAHAH :D

At any rate, I woke up this morning in a super-snit :angry: and decided there were some healthy steps and choices I could make without getting all up in my pizza man's grill about it.

Today?  Clean as a whistle with spit on it.   Tomorrow?  Clean as a whistle, no spit!

I have the Whole30 book which really is wonderful.  It's very pretty.  I have so many other great resources too.  SO I hope you all will be patient with my meanderings for the next few weeks.  I've probably talked myself into Whole30-ing beginning this Saturday -- the 9th. :ph34r:

(Why a ninja?  Why NOT a ninja?)

Well, I hope you're all very happy.  I went ahead and signed up for the Whole30 daily beginning Saturday.  I've had it before and I find it kind of comforting.  (As a renewal I get it at a greatly discounted price.)

It makes me feel like I'm not in this alone.

• 4 weeks later...

Just wanted to come in here on Feb 2 and fess up.  I did not even make it one day on Whole30.   We're having some challenges in the tinman house and the tinman job and I found that not thinking about food on my plate was the way I was going to deal.  Not a great plan.  Well, not a plan at all.

So I'm on a wee bit of a hiatus for now.  I'll be needing to regird my loins here and am already on the way to doing that.  So... I'll be popping in and around here.

I do believe that this way of eating is the best overall.  Changing up 58 years of habit during periods of crisis can be a bit of a challenge though.  You know?  You kind of are able to do things that are habit because it's automatic.  That leaves your brain cells for working other angles.  Reversing that would be healthier long range.  Using brain cells to work on changing habits would mean that you wouldn't be using them for excessive worrying.

• 5 months later...

A few hours later with some caffeine in me and getting some work stresses out of the way:  we are having hot dogs tonight for dinner.  While I try to avoid processed food, sometimes you just need to have it.  So I gently asked my husband if, while he was out, he would get me some W30 compliant hot dogs.  I'm not going to go crazy here, mind you.  But where I can be compliant to this template of eating I shall be. 

It's quite do-able, and, as I said in a 2014 post, it's almost just as easy to eat this way as not to eat this way and, God help me, I am so tired of overthinking this.

I turned 59 last Friday.  I'd like my 60th year to be one of evenness, pursuit of things that make sense without belaboring the point that I'm not perfect.  And I still want to be the oldest person in North America not on meds.

So, while I'm not declaring WHOLE 30 here, I am still going to hang out here and there, help where I can, comment where it's relevant or joke as much as possible.

As another recovering WW Lifetimer, I hear you. On many levels. And I enjoy your sense of humor.

One of my greatest fears is that of getting old and I've wasted too much time not doing anything about it. My most successful W30 was in 2012. I'm not ready to commit to another one, but I need to do something different.

I'm doing really well this week so far.  On Tuesday I started to get all Whole30 on my husband because WE DIDN'T HAVE APPLEGATE FARM HOTDOGS!!!

Oh noze!!!

And that's when I was able to mentally smack myself and say "Now, see?  THIS is why you have to jet back a bit.  You can't live a Whole30 all the time." (And the poor guy went to several stores to try to find them.

Anyway... I'm sticking with my activity plan and generally being really primal.  My sleep is improved, my attitude is improve and my energy may be better.  But quitting wine will do that.  It helps that the boss's boss is out of town this week though I thought I'd scream yesterday.

I have a time goal which I usually detest and avoid but I'm attending a wedding at the end of September and have no idea what I can or will wear.  Add on to that, the day after the wedding we keep heading east to Rome for a couple of weeks.  WARDROBE!!!!!

Just finished a run and for the first time in weeks it wasn't in the 90s.  Huzzah.

Archived