When does running get better?

kcwoodhead

I'm on day 5 and had the worst run I've had in a long long time this morning. I ran 4 Thursday and it wasn't great, but I was still able to make it through (my normal Tuesday and Wednesday workouts were about normal - but that was only day 1 and 2). This morning was supposed to 8 miles - (my typical long run for the last 2-3 months while recovering from one race and before building up for my next). I could tell from the beginning it was going to be bad, but I didn't know how bad. I made it 4.5 miles and walked another 1.5. My legs feel like I ran 20. My arm was even tired/weak about a mile in from carrying my water bottle - I carry one on every run, so no reason it should feel that way. I had to walk up each hill and my heart rate was crazy high. The entire muscle chain on the backs of my legs was screaming.

I knew my runs may get a little rough for a while going into it, but now that I'm in it, I want to know when they will get better!

I've been having about 2 servings of fruit a day but may up that and my other startchy carb consumption a bit to see if that helps my workouts. I had cashews before my run and went ahead and had my full breakfast (as opposed to post workout snack...timing just doesn't always make sense to do both) after - 3 eggs scrambled with a little coconut milk and an apple with some almond butter.

I know the plan specifically says no carbs before workouts - do the endurance athletes stick to this too?

I found that my runs didn't get better until I made absolutely sure that I was having a healthy fat with EVERY meal, and sweet potatoes once a day. That seems to be the magic bullet for me. It took me about three weeks into my whole30 to figure out the right mix of carbs/fats/protein.

Hang in there-just listen to your body and let it heal right now. It will reward you with more energy soon and you will forget ever feeling like this!

I know the plan specifically says no carbs before workouts - do the endurance athletes stick to this too?

What plan is this? I didn't think the Whole30 has a plan for workouts, just for eating the right things. It could be you need more carbs. I rarely eat breakfast but will often eat a banana before heading out for a 10-miler. During my Whole30, I did try to eat breakfast but almost always had 1/2 a sweet potato with my eggs. I'd say if you're determined to cut carbs, just chill for a couple of weeks and expect lousy workouts until your body adjusts. Do some walking in the middle of the workout if you need to, it won't hurt anything.

you are correct that the recommendation for a pre-workout snack doesn't contain carbs, but that doesn't mean you need to limit carbs during the rest of the day. focus on things like sweet potatoes, beets. parsnips, etc. over fruit. eating enough of this (and enough food in general!) should help with your runs.

Archived