August 1st Group Thread

JennyF

Hi

I'm struggling with low energy too - I'm not sleeping brilliantly at the moment and I thought getting alcohol and sugar totally out of my diet would help, but not yet. Maybe I would be feeling worse with them? (Almost certainly!)

magic.

I have also struggled with sleep prior to Whole 30 however one of the daily newsletters from Whole 9 suggested Natural Vitality Calm a magnesium supplement. My husband laughed at me when I purchased it but you know what, it works! During this challenge I am really stepping out of my comfort zone and am willing to try different items, this is one of them. I am currently mixing one teaspoon in water at night before bed.

Leancarn I don't know much of anything when it comes to Paleo but I too encourage you to take it another 18 days. I for one would love to hear, at the end of the 18 remaining days, how you left these feelings in the review mirror and are now filled with energy!

• Replies 624
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Like others, I am waiting for something remotely like Tiger Blood. I feel better...I think. I could tell Monday I had eaten far too much fruit. Seems I have been doing so for the last 7+ months because the horrible flatulence made a resounding return. My stomach felt yucky from it too. Yesterday the effect continued and I was horribly tired, slept 2 hours during the day and 10 hours overnight. 

Today, I gave in. I have been fighting the urge to weight myself (see I would weight multiple times a day before) for a good week. I gave in and, well, I wish I hadn't. I am trying to remember I always weight more the day after a hockey night..played last night. I was sure there would be a difference for one reason, and only one reason....when I get my base layer on, I always go to the bathroom one last time. Once I get my pants and pads on, the bathroom is not an option. Anyway. I started tucking my shirt into my compression pants to help it stay in place and protect my skin from the pelvic protector (yeah, I call it my chastity belt--it looks like one). So, after washing up, I look into the mirror and notice my pouch (where the excess skin hangs) is kinda flatish instead of being a front side butt. 

I know if I won't lose weight, but remodel my body, the weight will eventually come. One thing WLS patients experience that first year after surgery is multiple periods of losing weight but not size (the body is holding on with all it has) and losing size without losing weight (remodeling--the body catches up much to its dismay). This can happen every month. I know I had a period where I had just bought a new pair of pants--in a smaller size), then 2 days later they were so big on me I couldn't wear them. I am hoping this is basically what my body is doing. 

I slept so late there is not a M1 for me today. I have done this a lot, and this may also be part of the problem. School resumes Monday, so that problem will be fixed. 

M2--Drained tuna (have to remember not to get regular tuna again--don't like it--white albacore only for now on), 1/2 avocado, 1/2 tomato, 1 lemon cucumber. and a little pumpkin pudding. I am eating quite slowly so I don't get overfull, and so I can enjoy my food.

M3--we have so much in terms of leftovers, but I am making Yassa Poulet (from The Domestic Man), green beans, and roasted cauliflower. I also have some mixed summer veg (sauteed) to go with it as well. 

The rest of the week will entail eating leftovers from what is already available. The 10-minute chili I made yesterday 1) took me far longer than 10 minutes, and 2) made enough to feed a family of 4 for 2 meals-maybe why it took so long (plus my meat was not precooked).

Have a great Day 13. Since 13 I is my favorite, and lucky, number, I am determined to have a good day despite stepping on that scale today. The weather is beautiful. I plan on sitting outside with a jug of water and enjoying the day while I study.

Jump4life sounds like you're doing well. For your work function I would bring something you can eat, so tasty that you don't mind if that's all you eat. I would get carried away and bring a meal and a dessert option so I wasn't tempted by anything else.

I'll be honest, I'm finding this really hard. I'm really tired all the time, and I can't see a way to break myself out of this funk. I have been paleo for over a year now, and it really cleared up my digestive issues a lot, but recently I noticed things weren't as good as they had been, and I got worse after eating apples, onions, and avocadoes, so thought I'd try a low FODMAP whole30 to heal and hopefully get some more knowledge about what to avoid.

So far the issues have gotten worse, and I have no energy (worse than I was before). I'm getting sick of the food options I do have, and beginning to lose motivation to carry on with this. Also, I stopped tracking food intake and weighing myself for the whole30, and I swear I've put on an extra layer of fat.

Haven't been exercising like I used to because I just haven't had the energy, and my injury hasn't helped either, but no motivation to see a physio or anything to get it sorted either. For the whole30 I decided to listen to my body and only work out if I wanted to (I was getting random urges to exercise pre-whole30, so this is not as crazy as it sounds lol) but I've just had nothing. =(

I know it's hard to do, but please hang in there and be patient with your body. You're making some pretty big changes, even from a paleo template.  For most people, the worst digestive and fatigue issues pass at about two weeks. I'd encourage you to post a few days worth of food so that your group members can help you determine if you're eating enough. Remember that each meal (for best results) should follow our meal planning template. Also, most folks feel best with 3-5 servings of starchy veggies per week.

Day 13: i feel pretty good most of the time. i had a couple days though where i feel like a bottom less pit!! its like im starving to death!! 

but for the most part i feel good. i love that i found the unsweetened vanilla almond milk for my coffee and ive been using vanilla roasted coffee beans! its like heaven. also today i had a black cherry sparkling water and was in HEAVEN!!!!

all in all i feel like the biggest hurdle is just making sure im prepared for the day with my breakfast and lunch.

ive been trying to recover from a mango rash i got a few weeks ago and then from my immune system being hypersensitive i developed dermographism, i was really hoping the detox would have elevated my issue, it hasnt gone away but im not suffering from it on a daily basis.

but i must say i feel good. i dont really feel the tiredness that others have been talking about, but that maybe because i had weened myself off of carbs and sodas a while back.

i also found a compliant red sauce in Publix GIA Russa: Cherry Tomato (all natural and no sugar)!! made chicken primavera   last night and it was amazing!!

were almost half way there!!!

Warning-  discussion of forbidden foods to follow -  skip this if you are in a vulnerable mood!   

I was really low energy  this morning and very irritable all day today.  I realized  that I haven't been adding enough fat at breakfast b/c I finally have adjusted to black coffee -  which means I should be replacing  the calories that I am not getting from the coconut milk and ghee I am leaving out.   I tried to amp up the fat at lunch and dinner and ended up a bit turned off of fat (even in my Pad Thai -  sigh).  Then I went a bit overboard on frozen grapes, which I probably should categorize as "food with no brakes"-  sigh.   

So now I am obsessing about what I will add back first once this whole30 is over:   will it be  real dairy milk....  or quinoa..... or sharp cheddar cheese... or oatmeal..... or yogurt.....  or a really nice glass of wine..  or my favorite gluten free beer..... or my favorite salad that has parm cheese a dijon shallot dressing ....  or dark chocolate....  or lentils...  or ...  sigh.    

I am not sure what stage of the Whole30 journey this is but i think my best solution is an early night and a new attitude for tomorrow!       

lol im adding alcohol and greek yogurt!! with the occasional piece of pizza!! and i was dreaming of a eating a donut!! which i probably havent eaten in a year!!! muaaaaahhhhh almost half way there!!

and im pretty sure my food with no brakes is the cashew/almond mixed nuts i ate too much of last night!

Thanks for your encouragement everyone, I'm thinking of extending out to a whole45, because I want to start reintroductions from a really good place. Great idea about gentle exercise, I think I will try that, get some more yoga into my routine.

As an example menu

M1: Scotch egg (1 egg + 1 serve ground meat), 1 chopped up carrot, and ~30g coconut butter (not weighed any more, but around 0.25 c before being melted)

This gets me through to lunch well and hasn't changed in the last 3 months, pre whole30 I would sometimes have almond butter instead of coconut

M2: 1/5 of frittata (made with 600g chicken, 8 eggs, 1 can coconut milk, 3 carrots, 1 large sweet potato, 200 spinach)

This is hardest, I cook on sunday for the work week and if I'm not careful I get a real 3pm slump. I think this weeks recipe has cracked that though, I am STUFFED when I finish eating though

M3:

Example 1: Beef steak with fat on (2 servings protein), chopped carrot (1 cup?), 1 cup cooked silverbeet. I also ate ~1/5 can of coconut milk with a  little carob while I was waiting for it to cook

Example 2: Beef stew (1/4 of 500g beef mince, half a pumpkin, 3 carrots, 2 capsicums, 3 zuchinnis), served on 2 small potatoes. I ate around a teaspoon of coconut oil and 3 pieces of pork crackle while I waited for it to cook.

This one is the most variable, and HARD to get fat in. As you can see, I end up eating it alongside.

I'm not getting mid-afternoon slumps in energy or anything, I just never feel TRULY energetic. Hopefully tigerblood comes soon, I'm thinking of everyone else out there struggling, it's nice to know I'm not the only one

How about making babagahnoosh with eggplant--several compliant recipes on Pinterest (I am JCPruitt313 in there if you want to see what I found). Put that with crudites. Perfect for everyone.

So Jenn-   this is a great idea!   I have this idea that I dont like babganoosh--  but I love hummus and almost any other kind of creamy dip.    I havent tried babaganoosh in years so I bet my reaction would be different now.    I will also make the cauliflower hummus-  so two dips and veggies..  lovely.

I am also going to take Leahcarn's suggestion and go wild and bring a "dessert".    I have been making a great 3C pudding (chia, coconut milk , and fresh cherries) about once a week on Saturdays (one way to help with digestive issues b/c of the soluble fiber in the chia).  I will hold off and make an extra huge batch on Monday instead to share. 

I will add my own protein and I will be all set for the potluck-     thanks!!

leahcarn-  

I love it that you are considering a Whole45.   I think your menu actually looks pretty balanced -  I would love to try that frittata! The only thing I didnt really see is fruit (is all fruit off during FODMAP?)  If not, what about coconut cream and berries as a side for dinner? Two birds with one stone-  fat and fruit!   

Today has been a sad day for me. I lost my brother to cancer. A brother who was on a plant base diet for the last 5 years. I have managed to stick to my plan most of today as I am really not that hungry but as tribute to my brother we will eat his favorite food since having cancer and that is grilled cheese sandwiches. He eat these to help put weight back on him. Tomorrow back to my plan.

Today has been a sad day for me. I lost my brother to cancer. A brother who was on a plant base diet for the last 5 years. I have managed to stick to my plan most of today as I am really not that hungry but as tribute to my brother we will eat his favorite food since having cancer and that is grilled cheese sandwiches. He eat these to help put weight back on him. Tomorrow back to my plan.

Janet- so sorry for your loss. Tough day here to-I lost a friend & client(I do a meals on wheels program for cancer & aids patients) last week. Only 40 years old. I hate cancer :(

Janet, so sorry to hear of your loss. I was trying a W30 in June when we lost my husband's aunt. Like you I didn't feel like eating. At the dinner after the funeral, I stuck to plan--and it was hard--but then that and other stressors were the end for me. Take time for healing. If you don't get back on plan tomorrow, don't worry. Just eat as well as you can the help your immune system deal with the emotional stress and restart when you are in a more calm, emotionally, state.

Day 13 saw a lot accomplished. I am wondering if it was a little Tiger Blood, or just need that pushed me through.

I went to bed by 11 last night, and tossed and turned until after 1. I got out of bed at 5:30 this morning because I am determined to get back on a school schedule. Currently drinking my allergy tea (orange pekoe tea with organic unfiltered apple cider vinegar and cinnamon).

Today's plan

M1--root veggies (@1/2 C, 2 eggs, 1/2 avocado) I may add some nuts and raisins to this if still hungry as I have a LONG day ahead of me.

M2--grilled chicken with mango salsa (mango, lime juice, shallot, and purple pepper--@ 1/4 C), grilled green beans (non non paleo), lemon cucumbers (1/4 C), and pumpkin pudding (@ 3/16 C). 

M3--whatever leftovers I want. The Yassa Poulet was great, so I may have it again.

Today I am finishing some cleaning from yesterday before heading to school to talk to the first year PTA students. Some of us are going to do a Q & A session for them to help them ease into the program. I will also have to deal with getting my parking pass--oh, what fun. 

After that, home I come to pack for hockey, study, finally get to read today's newsletter (I decided to splurge on the W30 dailies) and get some chores done before pulling together dinner and heading out to play. Tonight is the Z-League Barrel game. Z-League was named as we are the most basic level in the league. We are supposed to be mainly for people that have just come out of the adult learn-to-play (Never Ever) program. Some people come in with pretty strong skill sets. Since we are the 'bottom of the barrel of the league,' per the commish of Z, we play for the Z-League Barrel (an empty pony keg on a wooden platform). If is great fun, but this contains a lot of pressure as I am playing my first 'Cup' game in goal. My team has not won a game with me in goal, but I am trying to remember they other guys in White have to score and defend. I just hope I am not overly-tired at that point and adrenaline does its part.

Have a good Day 14 all. Just about to the downward side of this mountain.

Hello to day 14. How is everyone? I have more energy, though nothing I would describe as tiger blood - but I managed 15 minutes on my stepper (the best I've done since I sprained my knee) and haven't been too idle for a person on staycation.

Today's food:

Sausage and sweet potato breakfast casserole; handful of raspberries.

Broccoli soup; leftover salmon cakes with mixed green leaves, half an avocado and balsamic dressing.

Seared lamb's liver with wilted spinach, baby red peppers and new potatoes; kiwi fruit.

I had terrible gas last night, which I think was either the huge mound of cabbage I ate at dinner or the ghee I put on top of it. I'm sensitive to dairy but I'm hoping it wasn't the ghee - I made it myself from grass-fed butter, for the first time, and it was lovely!

I have also struggled with sleep prior to Whole 30 however one of the daily newsletters from Whole 9 suggested Natural Vitality Calm a magnesium supplement. My husband laughed at me when I purchased it but you know what, it works! During this challenge I am really stepping out of my comfort zone and am willing to try different items, this is one of them. I am currently mixing one teaspoon in water at night before bed.

Leancarn I don't know much of anything when it comes to Paleo but I too encourage you to take it another 18 days. I for one would love to hear, at the end of the 18 remaining days, how you left these feelings in the review mirror and are now filled with energy!

I am a fan of magnesium and I have used Natural Calm equally. I need to use it especially after evening workouts. When I work out in the daytime my ability to fall asleep is not affected as much. Generally my challenge is getting enough sleep...Zzzzzzz. Like right now 6 hours. Ew. Keep up the good work. Way to be open and try new things!

Janet, I am sorry for the loss of your brother. We lost an elder on August 3 to cancer. Every year DogTown CrossFit host an event called Crush Cancer, where we do a WOD to raise money for Stand Up to Cancer for the cure. The reason why I mention it is because I would like to add your brother to my wall of warriors, the list of individuals I compile every year to honor all in the fight. Take care. A.J. 

P.S. If any of you would like to give me the name of a loved on in the fight I will add them to my wall of warriors.

#cruschcancer2014

Day 14: Recovering from last nights barbells and gymnastics class by experimenting with the suggestion that GFChris gave to me. The last few days I have been trying to take one cup of coffee prior to food intake. My day starts at 4 a.m. and I get my cup at home around 4:30 a.m., with  .5 liter of water before 6 a.m..

The shift happened today when at 6:30 am I got insatiably hungry and wanted to eat breakfast. I easily recognize the shift because with or without caffeine I am rarely if ever hungry in the morning. Fantastic shift especially because I want to eat breakfast versus feel like I am forcing myself to eat breakfast. Wow. Big win today so thanks again GFChris!

Staying consistent with eating clean and crossfit schedule respectively. Detoxing is work. Work I do not want to have to repeat again. No matter what circumstance presents itself, I can continue to eat clean with planning, sticking to the plan, and being adaptable to unplanned changes. Thank you for all of your honesty. It is inspiring and encourges me to share. So far it is working.  A.J. ^_^   

Good morning Day 14 !

So today I tried eating the hardboiled egg before my meditation time and then after my meditation I went for my scheduled run - it worked out, I had more energy for the run and didn't feel stressed out. It is hard to not think about all the progress I gave up in the area of running, but I know with persistence I will get back to where I was in no time. It feels good, we live in a beaufitul area so it is a treat to run outside especially early in the monring. When I got back from my run I took the dogs for their walk.

Breakfast was two eggs, 1/2 avocado, bell peppers and zuchinni soup - YUM! Iced coffee with a splash of coconut water and coconut milk.

Last night I made the Cincinatti Chili for our camping trip this weekend - it was spicy! Not sure if I can handle it but I think my husband will enjoy it. I ended up eating the left overs from my ground beef hot plate because I had to get out to a meeting so tonight I will make the pina colada chicken. Today is a cook day as I prep for our trip tomorrow - I will be gone to Pismo Beach for three days with no internet access.

Yesterday was a victory - we have struggled with condo drama all summer long - yesterday we found the source of the problem and now we are moving into quick, action in hopes of closing escrow in three weeks! This would be such a gift as the condo has brought so much family drama to my poor husband - he needs some relief, as do I. Positive thoughts continue to go out there that the remediation will be swift and the final inspection today will go smooth!

Lots to do today - I will breath and embrace the day, everything that is supposed to get done will be completed.

You ladies are amazing.

Have a great day everyone!

Staying consistent with eating clean and crossfit schedule respectively. Detoxing is work. Work I do not want to have to repeat again. No matter what circumstance presents itself, I can continue to eat clean with planning, sticking to the plan, and being adaptable to unplanned changes. Thank you for all of your honesty. It is inspiring and encourges me to share. So far it is working.  A.J. ^_^

I hear you AJ! Love this.

I am adding Cross fit into my program next week and I have to share with you while I am excited I am more nervous. I have to put that out there because I am afraid I will not go. I just turned 50 and am a big woman - true, I am very athletic but the extra 50 pounds I carry on my body makes me nervous about the activities. My real struggle is fear - fear of people talking about me in the gym and fear that they are laughing at me behind my back. Seriously, I know if is silly that a grown 50 year old woman would feel this way, but I have to tell you it took me a really long time to even jog on the street with this fear. So I put it out there and am hopeful it will be a good fit for me.

Thank you for all of your ideas and inspiration!

I hear you AJ! Love this.

I am adding Cross fit into my program next week and I have to share with you while I am excited I am more nervous. I have to put that out there because I am afraid I will not go. I just turned 50 and am a big woman - true, I am very athletic but the extra 50 pounds I carry on my body makes me nervous about the activities. My real struggle is fear - fear of people talking about me in the gym and fear that they are laughing at me behind my back. Seriously, I know if is silly that a grown 50 year old woman would feel this way, but I have to tell you it took me a really long time to even jog on the street with this fear. So I put it out there and am hopeful it will be a good fit for me.

Thank you for all of your ideas and inspiration!

Socrkx- I did crossfit at 52 (had to stop due to old injury). Hopefully your "box" has a good mix of people. Mine had great people & coaches that would encourage me & give me tips & pointers. Even though I couldn't keep up with the leaders in the class & I had to scale some of the workouts, I got so much out of it. There was great comraderie among the people.

Don't be afraid- you can do it. Listen to your body & take it at our own pace

Socrkx - go for it!!!...this is a time for new experiences...I want to do Crossfit myself...but my schedule won't allow me to do it.  I'm 47 now and I really don't care what age I start...just be the best 50 year old representing there...

I'm feeling good these days...no cravings, no brain fog, no bloating, some energy, clearer skin, clearer breathing, and on and on....

however, what I am noticing is that as a results of having RNY surgery two years ago, I find that this type of eating has led to me having to eat much slower and chew really well...I think that skin from the veggies, the ton of veggies and fruit have been getting caught in my throat and then I feel sick.  I like sugar snap peas, celery, tomatoes, apples as a snack but I have a difficult time getting them down.

After going in for my annual physical, I find that I am suffering from low vitamin levels...I need to start taking digestive enzymes before meals...I might need to start juicing greens to try to get my levels up...I tried eating 3-4 Brazil nuts for the selenium...but turns out I don't like them, they are too meaty for me...I saw where some shred them and add brewer's yeast and some garlic and salt and then spread that over soups, meats, etc...and then it was suggested to make a brazil nut milk...

What I'm finding by in large is that I'm enjoying the experience...I'm loving the new recipes that I'm discovering and even altering if needed...I'm not even looking forward to the end at this point...

Janet, I am sorry for the loss of your brother. We lost an elder on August 3 to cancer. Every year DogTown CrossFit host an event called Crush Cancer, where we do a WOD to raise money for Stand Up to Cancer for the cure. The reason why I mention it is because I would like to add your brother to my wall of warriors, the list of individuals I compile every year to honor all in the fight. Take care. A.J. 

P.S. If any of you would like to give me the name of a loved on in the fight I will add them to my wall of warriors.

#cruschcancer2014

I wouldn't mind you adding Rena Jo (Pruitt) ? I will have to get her married last name. She passed away this morning after a lng battle with cancer. She is my husband's cousin. 

Archived