August 1st Group Thread

JennyF

Did some cooking and meal planning today for my upcoming week which will be busy. Having a few days of easy assemble meals atbthe beginning of last week really helped. Anticipate I have enough veggies to get me to Wednesday.

Feeling a lot better since I've cut out nightshades. i have a few Whole30 compliant meals in the freezer that contain hot peppers/hot sauce so I guess that is what I'll have for my re-introduction phase. Hoping I will be able to have nightshades every once in a while. I can live without eggplant, bell peppers, potatoes and even tomatoes but Universe, please don't deny me Tabasco.

• Replies 624
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello everyone - beautiful people comforting each other while struggling with their own dragons.

Hello Day17 I am still on the wagon. I feel fine, energy level high (but that is never a problem for me). The only thing what is bothering me it that the last 4 days I have a low back pain. I am not familiar with that. I had it in the older days in combination with my period. Maybe I need to take supplements? I do take some but that is to slay my cramp dragon. Since I can remember even as a child I experienced serious muscle cramp problems (mostly legs but also toes and fingers). When I did low carb/Atkins in the past it always got worse. I tried lots of things including Magnesium, hydrokinine etc. 2 years ago I finally found the solution hydrokinine combined with Magnesium, Zinc and Calcium and that does the trick.

My husband made the carnitas from Well Fed - jammie jammie!

Today I will smoke some salmon and combine that with squash puree and fennel salad on top. For lunch I will make grass feed beef carpaccio with some nice olive oil and rucola.

Enjoy your Whole30 - it will make you stronger!

Hi Roussa57,

Thanks for the encouragement. My coach encourages me to stretch my hamstrings and glutes to relieve back pain. It has helped me a lot and there are really simple stretch to do. Make sure to get your body warm before stretching :) Feel better.

Day 17.

Great day at the Women's Olympic LIft seminar. I was able to eat enough food throughout and stay physically engaged the entire time. I a so relaxed my face is going to fall off.

Food prepped to get us to Tuesday and looking forward to some seafood.

Goodnight.

Hi All,

Still been feeling pretty sick but then again my brother died last Tuesday... Anyway I don't want to be a downer I just wanted to know if anyone remembers the recipe for the breakfast muffins using the TJ's broccoli slaw? 

On a positive note my joint I have lost the pain in my knees. Progress!

Hope everyone had a good day yesterday. Good luck on day 18.

Classes start today, so I actually got up at 0450. My cat alarm (needing affection) went off at 0430, my alarm at 0440, so I actually had 2 rounds of snooze, though I didn't really snooze at all.

Breakfast: ! 1/2 C roasted turnip/beet/Brussels spouts, 2 eggs,   1/2 avocado. I know I will be hungry by lunch, but I couldn't eat more

Lunch: pan grilled chicken (@ 1 C), cucumber, carrot, pepper, carrot, snap pea crudites with Tahiti dip, 1/2 plum

Dinner--leftovers or roasted chicken. Not sure ;y vet, but I have plenty to choose from.

I will probably not be able to get on tomorrow, so here is my plan, Breakfast: pumpkin pudding (making tonight) and compliant sausages. Tomorrow's dinner will look like today's lunch and Tomorrow's lunch will likely be a repeat of today's dinner. I have to pack both and take to school as I won't be home before hockey.

Have a good day. I will try to read the board on breaks, but don't know if I will be on before Wednesday. I have a plan, and with luck will get everything done.

Good morning, all! Hope things are going your way.

I've been feeling tired and a bit shaky/lightheaded the last couple of days, and I've come to the conclusion that I've let my carbs slip too low. So this week is ROOTS week for me - I'm going to try some different starchy vegetables, and make sure I get some for meal 1 and a healthy amount for meal 3. On my list this week: potato, sweet potato, celeriac, swede (=rutabaga), parsnip, butternut squash. Last night I added a baked sweet potato to meal 3 and got a better night's sleep than I've had for a while. Here's hoping...

Today's food:

Sweet potato and three egg scramble, a few blackberries.

Crab/shrimp salad with paleo mayo, mixed leaves, radishes, broccoli.

Leftover beef and vegetable chilli, mashed celeriac, fresh fig.

Hi All,

Still been feeling pretty sick but then again my brother died last Tuesday... Anyway I don't want to be a downer I just wanted to know if anyone remembers the recipe for the breakfast muffins using the TJ's broccoli slaw? 

On a positive note my joint I have lost the pain in my knees. Progress!

Hi Janet,

I understand your pain, I lost my brother, some years ago...it is tough...

http://nomnompaleo.com/post/3397688384/curried-beef-broccoli-slaw-mushroom-frittata

Is this the recipe that you are inquiring about?

T

DAY 18-----

So far I have been doing great, along with most of my local group who started on the 1st... Try hard to play by all the rules, which can be a little challenging when eating out, something simple like wanting your broccoli plain, no sauce. My clothes feel a bit looser and my skin seems brighter and clearer. Looking forward to what this last week and half bring and very much thinking about doing a Whole45 to get more benefits from eating so clean. I do miss my dairy some (mostly my creamer in my coffee) and trying to think of ways to satisfy that after I have completed this challenge......

Hope everyone is doing great....KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK!!!

Day 18.

Time flies! Thank you for the updates on you collective paleo journey and your honesty. After the Women's Only Olympic lift clinic my appetite was off the charts this morning. Sticking to one cup of coffee in the morning has allowed me to feel hungry and feed myself so much sooner in the day.  I keep writing about it but is really a new experience and new sensation. In the past I forced myself to eat breakfast with or without coffee. If I ate anything I'd just feel sleepy. So after experimenting with paleo for three years now this is huge for me.

Today I laughed aloud and relaxed for most of the day. My day was the same busy day with the same responsibility but I experienced calm throughout the day. Phew. Peace.

Breakfast: Omlette, Broccoli, Pork

Lunch: platanos and GF ground beef, salad

I reduced my water intake to 2L/day because I was experiencing dizziness in the mornings during this last heat wave. Between sweating and consumption I think I depleted my salts/minerals. Dizziness left the very next day after reducing. Now to keep getting after that elusive sleep. 

Goodnight. Great work, keep it up.

AJ

Just a short post - just returned from an amazing Paleo Whole 30 camping trip to Pismo Beach - it was amazing and relaxing. We went on a wonderful hike Saturday and just enjoyed being out in nature before the school year rolls in. Celebrated my husbands birthday. We spent time reflecting on all the positive changes the Whole 30 has delivered. He looks great, his skin is clear and I know he has lost weight.

Thank yu for the encouragement on Cross fit - that is my next challenge.

Life is good!

Good morning, all! Hope things are going your way.

I've been feeling tired and a bit shaky/lightheaded the last couple of days, and I've come to the conclusion that I've let my carbs slip too low. So this week is ROOTS week for me - I'm going to try some different starchy vegetables, and make sure I get some for meal 1 and a healthy amount for meal 3. On my list this week: potato, sweet potato, celeriac, swede (=rutabaga), parsnip, butternut squash. Last night I added a baked sweet potato to meal 3 and got a better night's sleep than I've had for a while. Here's hoping...

Today's food:

Sweet potato and three egg scramble, a few blackberries.

Crab/shrimp salad with paleo mayo, mixed leaves, radishes, broccoli.

Leftover beef and vegetable chilli, mashed celeriac, fresh fig.

Sounds like a plan. I could not get my normal roots veggies this week, so my roasted root veggies (reheat for breakfast a few times a week) are turnip, beet, and Brussels sprouts. The brussels sprouts are good, but the texture is off for the mix.

I wonder, as we have rutabaga and celeric here, which you got. BTW, check out pinterist for recipes. I found a celeric hash (kinda like hash browns) recipe. It tasted good, but I didn't get the consistency right. 

Well, I survived my first 0450-2300 day yesterday. Today is 0430-2300+. I do not have time for a nap and tomorrow starts at the same time. I am working on getting ahead in classes so I can destress a bit. I feel like I am already running around like a chicken with my head cut off. Once I do that this weekend I should be fine.

I did learn, no errands after school--Thursday (off day) only! I had to eat a snack @1000 yesterday, but otherwise was good.

Today's plan:

M1- compliant sausages, pumpkin pudding, and tomato.

Snack--epic bar (dang my primal pacs did not come in yesterday) if needed

M2--pork loin with apple and onion bits, roasted cauliflower, applesauce, and a little nut/raisin mix

M3-Applegate roast beef rollups w/ pickle, crudetes (snap peas, carrots, pepper, celery) and tahini, and a plum

After hockey: emergency toddler smoothie and epic bar. I hope I don't feel like eating this, as I don't like going to bed with food on my stomach, but will if my body says it needs it.

Yesterday's find: Definition in my calf muscles (lateral side). I have never seen that before on me--even when I played soccer as a kid. Yeah me! It's a little thing, but an important thing to me as it shows I have burnt away fat  from one of the hardest areas for me to lose it and see it.

Have a great day everyone! Oh, if you have any suggestions for me--please send them via message. I think my time being able to read the forum will be limited to about 10 minutes a day for most days now. I can use a classroom friendly idea for a snack. I thought about an egg, but that will be hard to eat while  taking notes, and not really group friendly.

Ladybugbutt-   great inspiration for business or any kind of travel planning!    Good for you for sticking to it.   Can you share your recipe for the beef jerky?

Sure.  I take a lean cut of meat - usually top or bottom round with all of the fat cut off.  Cut into approx 1/8 to 1/4" slices, then cut those into strips approx 1" wide.  Season generously with salt, pepper, garlic powder, and onion flakes (you could use onion powder too, I just like the flakes).  Put in a big glass bowl with pineapple juice (fresh is better, but sometimes I use canned if it's not from concentrate and no added ingredients).  The citrus in the pineapple juice helps start "cooking" the meat.  Give it all a good stir to make sure it's mixed well.  Cover tightly and leave in the fridge overnight.  The next day, drain any juice and place the meat strips on racks to dry.  If you like, you can sprinkle pepper flakes on at this point, and crack a bit more salt over the strips.  

I have an Excalibur dehydrator.   I dry the meat at 140-145 degrees F for about 4-5 hours...until it's "done" (chewy overall, but dry on the outside).  If I'm not traveling I store in the fridge in a baggie, but when on the road I've found that it will keep in a plastic baggie for at least 3-4 days without refrigeration (if it lasts that long!   B) )   I'm a nut addict, so this is a much better solution for me than carrying (only) packages of nuts on the road.  

@A.J. txs for the advice. Unfortunately streching does not help either, I treid everything since I had this problem. But now it is OK as long as I take my supplement and on the right time. Love to read your posts alos.

@Ladybugbutt I live in a no beef jerky country. I tried it once but did not like it. I have a excalibur though. And I almost forget to use it. Maybe I have to give it a try. Or first try a good beef jerky, they sell Dutch beef jerky from grass feed cows. Can you learn to like them that is what I'm asking myself.

@ Everyone good luck and be strong

I made the African stew from Well Fed 2 after coming home late 8.30 pm It was so lovely I had some chicken from my cook up session and combined it with the rest and we ate it with spaghetti zucchini. Jamjam!

Tomorrow for breakfast and dinner because I will be home late again.

Thinking of everyone today, its nice to feel the support here.

Part of me thinks I'm getting used to this and I could make it a lifestyle, the other part of me wants to get stuck back into cauliflower and broccoli again. I'm starting to plan reintroductions already, is that bad? So long as I don't obsess over it I guess.

Loving my lunch frittata, I WON AT LIFE this week (pulled pork, sundried tomato, roast kumara, carrot, pumpkin and yams, and spinach)

Dinner tonight is spicy Asian beef steak in the crockpot cooking as I type

@A.J. txs for the advice. Unfortunately streching does not help either, I treid everything since I had this problem. But now it is OK as long as I take my supplement and on the right time. Love to read your posts alos.

@Ladybugbutt I live in a no beef jerky country. I tried it once but did not like it. I have a excalibur though. And I almost forget to use it. Maybe I have to give it a try. Or first try a good beef jerky, they sell Dutch beef jerky from grass feed cows. Can you learn to like them that is what I'm asking myself.

@ Everyone good luck and be strong

I made the African stew from Well Fed 2 after coming home late 8.30 pm It was so lovely I had some chicken from my cook up session and combined it with the rest and we ate it with spaghetti zucchini. Jamjam!

Tomorrow for breakfast and dinner because I will be home late again.

You are welcome! Glad you are getting relief. I'll try the Dutch jerky :)

Sounds like a plan. I could not get my normal roots veggies this week, so my roasted root veggies (reheat for breakfast a few times a week) are turnip, beet, and Brussels sprouts. The brussels sprouts are good, but the texture is off for the mix.

I wonder, as we have rutabaga and celeric here, which you got. BTW, check out pinterist for recipes. I found a celeric hash (kinda like hash browns) recipe. It tasted good, but I didn't get the consistency right.

There's a very nice Jamie Oliver recipe for celeriac, which I tried a couple of days ago, though I ended up mashing rather than smashing it.

http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/vegetables-recipes/smashed-celeriac

Ok,  I am sorry that I haven't posted since the first!  I have gone back and read all of the post, and It sounds like everyone has had some ups and downs, but overall doing great!  I am feeling very discouraged!  I started the Whole 30 with the hope of relieving my ulcerative colitis.  Well instead of feeling any relief, my uc is worse!  I have been following the autoimmune food list, so I haven't had any eggs, I cut out night shades, and I have only had some raw cashews every now and then( but I haven't had any for a week now)  My energy level might be a little better, but not much.  Everything else is basically the same.  My sleep is being disturbed because I am waking up between 3 an 4 with terrible stomach cramps and having to go to the bathroom.  Sorry if this is tmi!  Any thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Hi bhreames, I started with this group but have been mainly participating in our Facebook support group - just a little easier to keep up with.  I still am following this, though, and read your post.  I have had ulcerative colitis for 22 years - severe, involving the whole colon - since my first child was born.  I found for me that UC has a mind of it's own.  Some dietary items worsened my symptoms, like alcohol or coffee, but for the most part I could find no relationship to a flare and diet.  I am inspired by stories of people reversing their autoimmune disease with diet, but I have never been able to achieve and maintain remission without medication.  I hope you are working with your gastroenterologist to find the right medication for you - best of luck. 

Hi bhreames, you're not alone in not feeling great. I seem to be developing intolerances for vegetables I can normally eat with no problems, and feeling pretty rough. I'll keep going till day 30 but I'll be glad to cut down on the veggies once it's over! It's disappointing, as I was hoping to keep going for a Whole 45 or even 90, but unless something changes radically in the next ten days the 30 is going to be the best I can do :(

Hi bhreames, I am struggling with digestive issues as well, nothing so severe as you describe though. I am doing a low FODMAP whole45, as I think I need the extended period to heal. Have a look at some of paleo moms stuff if you haven't already, she describes healing from autoimmune disorders as something that might take a while.

Demobhappy, what vegetables are you developing intolerances for? Maybe we can puzzle this out and find something you can eat. I have done so much reading in the last few months its crazy

Day 20

The combination of mandatory overtime, overheating in my uniform for 8 hours on my feet, and simply being sick of work usually spells disaster for my nutritional choices. A day that started at 3:45 a.m. is just concluding now and I a proud to report although given a meal ticket today at work I stayed the course. I brought a bunch of food and ate it all by 7 a.m. and ate a taco salad which was rather gross but compliant.

The good of the work week culminated in making my workout and spending family time at the beach. Day 20 in the books. Meal plan Thursday and food WOD because I have a day off. Yay.

Keep Trucking!

A.J.

Demobhappy, what vegetables are you developing intolerances for? Maybe we can puzzle this out and find something you can eat. I have done so much reading in the last few months its crazy

It seems to be a bit all over the place, but I think it might be related to salicylates - I'm allergic to aspirin (= salicylic acid), and it looks like a lot of what I've been eating has been high in salicylates: avocado, broccoli, broccoli/alfalfa sprouts, red peppers, zucchini, radishes, mushrooms, olive oil, coconut milk/oil. A few Whole 30 staples there, unfortunately! I'm going to work on the assumption that it was the total load that was setting me off (throat swelling a bit, feeling very shaky immediately on eating) rather than individual foods, so for today and tomorrow I'm going to go low salicylate. That puts me on cabbage, leeks, brussel sprouts and white potatoes. If that doesn't work, I'll know that's not the problem!

And I've just found this online, which supports the idea that it was the total load and things will calm down again:

"The theory normally accepted for salicylate sensitivity is the "bucket theory" - ie we all have our own personal tolerance level (the level at which our body processes salicylate) So for some people it is quite possible to be able to eat some foods regularly that are on the high list and not to have any problems as their own personal "bucket" is leaking (ie processing the salicylate) fast enough to keep up with the intake.However if too much salicylate is eaten in a short space of time the "bucket" can overflow as it exceeds the individuals capacity to deal with it."

That cheers me up!

Archived