August 1st Group Thread

JennyF

Hopefully that's the case!
I am exceedingly proud of myself for having a crap day at work, and I didn't get a chocolate muffin in the tea room at break, but damn they looked good! I had another dream about a paleo lemon slice I saw on pinterest yesterday lol, Why are all my forbidden food dreams paleofications???

• Replies 624
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good job everyone.  I am envious - I ended up not doing an August Whole30 because life was just too out of control (remodeling, living out of a hotel, working three jobs, excuses, excuses, excuses).  I can't wait to start again September 1 - which will be my one year anniversary of discovering whole30 to begin with!

Good job everyone.  I am envious - I ended up not doing an August Whole30 because life was just too out of control (remodeling, living out of a hotel, working three jobs, excuses, excuses, excuses).  I can't wait to start again September 1 - which will be my one year anniversary of discovering whole30 to begin with!

Go for it! You can do it.

Hi everyone, 8 days to go! We can do it we can do it YES we can!

M1 leftover zuchinni noodles with green beens ground beef spices and sunflower paste.So nice and tasty! I put in laos, coriander and ginger.

M2 wild salmon flakes with white cabbage salad boiled egg and avocado

M3 confit canard!!! with green beens and some new baby potatoes

We can do this YES WE CAN!

Hi.  I started the Whole 30 on 1 August and am doing well, much better than I thought and I have not been tempted to stray at all.  I am amazed at myself really.  I am feeling much better and I think I have probably lost some weight, but I still have some bloating and aching joints so I might continue on to give my body more time to heal.

Anyway, the reason for this post is because I was just reading some of the latest posts, and 

bhreames and colleenb's reminded me that I watched a very interesting programme on Australia's ABC iView last night called  Catalyst: Gut Reaction.  There is some very interesting research and trials going on in regard to faecal transplants (transplanting gut bacteria from a healthily person).

See part narration below, although the whole show is worth watching.  The whole narration of Part 2 can be read at: http://www.abc.net.au/catalyst/stories/4070977.htm. I hope this helps.

NARRATION

No-one is yet doing faecal transplants in people for emphysema. But they are trialling the procedure for another debilitating disease thought to be connected to bad gut bacteria - ulcerative colitis. It's an inflammatory bowel disease and Anna has suffered it for more than half a decade.

To say school has taken over my life would be a understatement! Thank Aj for checking on me. I am still doingokay eating wise, but have no energy. I am simply not getting enough sleep and it is rough. Of course my stress relief (hockey) received a ti.e change and it is out. There is a program starting in October I am to play in, and my weekend league starts on 2 weeks, but I am frustrated by Woman's being moved so late I can not play. It is interesting how not being able to play has affected me.

School, and the exhaustion with it has brought back cravings. I have not eaten off W30, but have been trying to figure out what I am craving.

My primal pace came yesterday after being lost be the post office. I decided to try one when I got home. Wow are they sweet. They may have kicked off my cravings last night. I will keep one in my hockey bag, but try not to use it. I may try the Primal sticks today, Mau actually be part of breakfast.

Have a good day everyone. Just 8 more days including today if you are stopping at 30. I will be reintroducing honey. I had been using 1T in my allergy tea each morning, but stopped for W30. I have been fighting a sinus and ear infection. Will likely go get some VClear if it gets worse. Trying to ride out the days though.

Hi all -   just checking in with my original start group and reading through the posts I have missed.   I am so proud of you all-  it sounds like you are facing challenges but working through them -  keep it up -   you only have 8 more days to go!   Ironically I am on my new day 8.    

I am doing great and spending more time thinking about things other than food since the food seems easier and more instinctive than my first Whole14.  One great thing is I just decided what my reward for completing my Whole30 will be -  check it out:  https://quarterly.co/products/melissa-joulwan?confirmation=true&t=50

A few of you have started to talk reintroductions.  I see honey from JennP.   What is everyone else thinking?    

Hi all -   just checking in with my original start group and reading through the posts I have missed.   I am so proud of you all-  it sounds like you are facing challenges but working through them -  keep it up -   you only have 8 more days to go!   Ironically I am on my new day 8.    

I am doing great and spending more time thinking about things other than food since the food seems easier and more instinctive than my first Whole14.  One great thing is I just decided what my reward for completing my Whole30 will be -  check it out:  https://quarterly.co/products/melissa-joulwan?confirmation=true&t=50

A few of you have started to talk reintroductions.  I see honey from JennP.   What is everyone else thinking?    

Hi Jump4Life,

Welcome back and thanks for the encouragement. I am going to go another 30 with the goal of getting to another 30 for an overall total of 90 days. In the past I have found that I have been able to work out the nuances more precisely and experience the benefits more with the added time. As I have reintroduced before, I know that I tolerate dairy way more than any kind of grain. At present I am using SFH Fuel, finsished my SFH Recovery and not use it when it run's out. I don't have anything else to strip down other than my getting some SFH fish oil because I just ran out. Still hammering out getting enough sleep. Thanks for asking and cheering us on.

A.J.

Day 22 was rather uneventful for food intake and really hard for me to stay interested in eating. The good part is that I worked a short day, spent time with my daughter, spent time with my coach who is really a dear human being, and got to focus on some inner work together. As a new parent, intimate conversation is a rarity so it has stirred some creativity up in me. Looking forward to supporting it with eating right, resting well, and dreaming my way into reality. Without any desire to cook we ate out at the Counter and I stayed compliant and went to bed at 7 p.m. but fell asleep around 8:30 p.m.. Headache for most of the day.

Day 23 although I slept what felt like a lot I woke up sleepy. I am newly constipated, probably b/c I ran out of fish oil, and my sleep sucked. I tossed and turned all night. Although I was good resting instead of working out my body probably needed the ritual to shut down for the night. Ugh.  Now I don't feel like I got either sleep nor exercise.

Up at 4:30 a.m., I didn't pack food this morning, nor bring my journal, ate gross eggs, and I am at my 3rd cup of coffee. I am trying to be gentle with myself but I am probably experiencing PMS and not really feeling it today. So my food journal goes on today's post so I can copy it down later when I get home.

Saturday August 23, 2014 Paleo 23

Bedtime 7pm. asleep at 8:30pm

Awaketime 430a.m.

Groggy, not resteds

430-630am Coffee x3

730am Eggs H2O intake 1L

10 am. Lunch break probably salad bar from Hospital Cafeteria

TBC BACK TO WORK...

1030 am a huge greek ish salad totally compliant OOV oregano dressing

630 pm WELL FED chicken, Moroccan dipping sauce, sweet potato

Made dinner with my daughter and felt very successful doing both playing and cooking.

Thanks for reading.

A.J. 

My Whole30 is a roller coaster. I felt so bad yesterday afternoon - shaky, various food sensitivities bothering me, my IBS starting up - that I decided I had to quit. I allowed myself to have whatever I wanted for meal 3, and it turned out to be completely Whole30 compliant! Today has been fine - I haven't quit - with much fewer issues and more energy. We went clothes shopping, and not only did I get through a full five hours without food (got a little bit grumpy at 3pm when I still wasn't back home yet for lunch...) but I was trying on jackets that were a couple of sizes smaller. Not sure how my body could have changed so quickly, but I'm not complaining!

Today's food:

Bacon, egg and potato scramble.

Huge mixed salad, balsamic dressing, pickled beetroot, chicken mayo, raspberries,

Lamb's liver, red cabbage casserole, mashed swede/rutabaga with ghee, plums.

How is everyone else?

Day 24

Thank you for asking Demobhappy because I need to vent! The neighbor's dog cried all night interrupting my already fragile ability to sleep deeply and set of a migraine before the break of dawn. I work weekends and to call off is really bad especially during summertime when others are away from work on vacation, etc. 

5 a.m. Called off work, took migraine medicine as prescribed (I hadn't had to use it in at least a year)

6 a.m. Fell back to sleep, although head got worse before better

8 a.m. Coffee x3 cups, no appetite for breakfast due to medication, H2O intake 1L

3 p.m. Roasted chicken, babaganoush, tea

11:30 a.m. Well Fed chicken, almonds, spinach salad tea

7:30 p.m.  Shepard's Pie Well Fed H2O intake 1L

I woke up angry which is something that may have stayed with me all day along with the migraine. Today I recovered really fast from both being pissed off at my irresponsible neighbor and the migraine to boot. In fact I was able to ride my motorcycle and enjoy family time outdoors. What medicine all of it good, especially the pain in the butt neighbor because normally I'd be at work and I'd miss such a lovely day. Strange good. Can't wait to go to bed. Goodnight. Thanks for the encouragement and honesty.

Sorry to hear things are rough with you both.

I'm seriously considering going off my whole45. I take a high dose of vitamin d over winter and the tablets are in soybean oil. I thought I would be fine without them since it's august, but the past week I've just been sinking into more and more of a depression. I would like to buy compliant ones, but they are 5000IU and I can't get that locally, and they were really cheap lol. Don't really have the money to replace them right now. I don't know what I'll do yet. Life is tough

Twell, I made it through the weekend. I didn't accomplish much of what I wanted to do, but given I am getting used to school hours again, I can live with it. I helped my CSA OUT this weekend at the farmer's market, and was pd handsomely with more veggies. Instead of a half share, I am enjoying about 3/4 share. Watermelon is my food with no brakes lately, and I got a personal sized one. I have exercised lots of control and hubby got his 1/2. Got my primal pace in, finally, and those are outrageously sweet! Well, just a few more days for me, another 15 for hubby, and then we'LL see what happens. Have a good week everyone! F I am not back before then, I will pop in Sunday to give results. I am not expecting changes as things are a little looser, but not really a different size. I don't think I can really get much smaller as bones already show appropriately and I have excess skin from when I was 330+#.

Day 25

One day without my journal and my numbering is off by a day,  let alone my rituals being thrown off a little bit. The good news I finally scored some solid sleep. When that happens it is really hard to wake up. Naturally my body wants "more". I am looking forward to working out today, generating some energy and working up my appetite. 

AT 430 am

6 am Coffee x2

930 am eggs, center cut pork, broccoli 

H2O intake 2L

TBC

11 am Shepard's Pie

H2O intake 1L

I'm seriously considering going off my whole45. I take a high dose of vitamin d over winter and the tablets are in soybean oil. I thought I would be fine without them since it's august, but the past week I've just been sinking into more and more of a depression. I would like to buy compliant ones, but they are 5000IU and I can't get that locally, and they were really cheap lol. Don't really have the money to replace them right now. I don't know what I'll do yet. Life is tough

I'm sorry you're feeling low, Leah. I have a history of depression and seasonal affective disorder as well so I know where you're coming from!

Some alternative ways to get vitamin D: eat liver, or you can dice it and freeze it to make 'liver pills', eat egg yolks (each egg yolk is 400iu, but if you do a few different things from this list it adds up), take cod liver oil, put portobello or button mushrooms in the sun for a couple of hours before eating them (they synthesise vitamin D, weird right?? :-)), eat fatty fish, canned tuna and sardines. I've also found daylight bulbs really helpful.

I hope something there helps! If not, I personally would take the pills - the whole point of this month is to improve our health, and mental health is part of that. Good luck!

Hi everyone, reading all your moving struggles and stories moves me. I have to be such a grateful person - and I am really. I do not have big health issues, do need only 6 hrs of sleep and mostly blessed with tons of energy.

I feel respect reading your experiences, trying to find out your personal pathways in the land of good or bad food.

My harvest is never no more sweeteners in my coffee or in whatever! And paleo (and the lessons of Food Inc.)will be my life philosophy not a diet.

M1 ground beef muffin with tomato sauce homemade cabbage salad

M2 cabbage salad, cauliflower tahini, slices of duck breast

M3 yammie yammie from Well Fed 2 I made the Tai Mahal in 10 min! with my cookup preparation. I came home 8.15 pm and 8.30 we were enjoying this beautiful meal

Take care!

Hi everyone, reading all your moving struggles and stories moves me. I have to be such a grateful person - and I am really. I do not have big health issues, do need only 6 hrs of sleep and mostly blessed with tons of energy.

I feel respect reading your experiences, trying to find out your personal pathways in the land of good or bad food.

My harvest is never no more sweeteners in my coffee or in whatever! And paleo (and the lessons of Food Inc.)will be my life philosophy not a diet.

M1 ground beef muffin with tomato sauce homemade cabbage salad

M2 cabbage salad, cauliflower tahini, slices of duck breast

M3 yammie yammie from Well Fed 2 I made the Tai Mahal in 10 min! with my cookup preparation. I came home 8.15 pm and 8.30 we were enjoying this beautiful meal

Take care!

Roussa57,

Thank you for being authentic and encouraging. Fine tuning is key fo rme and I can appreciate the choice of philosophy over "diet", it shifts everything towards the positive. Your post also helps me to highlight just how fortunate I am to have a strong bill of health and a different kind of endurance, compared to others...it's just a different gear. In fact it is a challenge to get accustomed to feeling so energetic which is definitely a quality problem. Keep trucking you are doing great.

Best Regards,

AJ

Cactuscat, seasonal affective disorder is it! I went to the health shop today and splurged on vitamin d in fish oil (only 1000IU so I will go through them pretty fast, but worth it). As an aside, I have had hardly any carb cravings this winter, and I attribute that to paleo.

I'm also using my light box, but I will try a few more things off your list and see how we go.

My health is too important to take risks with, but for now, I'm back in the game!!

day 25: 

so excited! feel fantastic! 

little disappointed that my dermographism has not cleared up from my mango poisoning. 

i must say the cravings have pretty much gone completely. yes of course occasionally im like damn i want this.... 

im curious as we have come so far...whats the one thing everyone is going to introduce back into their diet first??

me margaritas on sunday!!!

Day 25. This program is HARD, but exactly what I needed. I've been a fairly healthy living person for the past 5 years.But I'd gotten sloppy and needed a hard line to follow to clean up my act. I have also been curious about what foods could be adding to my arthritis struggles. I've had tempatations so far but nothing to out of control. But today. Today is testing all of my limits. I've had a lot happen this month, a family member with serious problems in her living situation, I'm trying to buy my very first home, a difficult situation or 12 at work, my best friend on vacation this week(my program buddy). But today a friend is possibly taking his last breaths. He is a very close friend to some of my close friends and we've spent some fun times together. I am hurting for his family and his kids and my friends. I just cant tonight. But I did the best I could. dinner was a yukon gold potato and a piece of cold chicken.

Day 25

Made it! Stoked I don't have to work in the morning and had a rigorous workout. My spouse says it's good to hear me laugh so much. Thanks Whole 30 and all of you in this group. It's working! Try to see the big waves that the storm down south is bringing in, in the morning. Getting out in nature after breakfast sounds peaceful.

Goodnight!

Day 25. This program is HARD, but exactly what I needed. I've been a fairly healthy living person for the past 5 years.But I'd gotten sloppy and needed a hard line to follow to clean up my act. I have also been curious about what foods could be adding to my arthritis struggles. I've had tempatations so far but nothing to out of control. But today. Today is testing all of my limits. I've had a lot happen this month, a family member with serious problems in her living situation, I'm trying to buy my very first home, a difficult situation or 12 at work, my best friend on vacation this week(my program buddy). But today a friend is possibly taking his last breaths. He is a very close friend to some of my close friends and we've spent some fun times together. I am hurting for his family and his kids and my friends. I just cant tonight. But I did the best I could. dinner was a yukon gold potato and a piece of cold chicken.

Hey,

It sounds like you are really riding the waves the best way you can and really being present to all it. Thank you for you sharing, I have certainly been there and glad you ate something. New day is on the way. Take Care A.J.

A.j. as soon as I brought up the feed, your post was up. So funny you had shepard's pie, as I made the same for dinner last night. Was going to share my recipes. I tossed a few together for the final product.

Brown 2# meat of choice (lamb and Turkey were mine)

When done, remove meat from pot (Dutch oven here) and drain fat. Add chopped carrot, celery, peppers, onions, tc as wished. Cook till fork tender and add spices, (salt, pepper, thyme, oregano, etc of your choosing).

Combine @2 C stock with 2T tapioca flour to thicken. Add to pot and bring to boil.

For the topping I nuked a bag of butternut squash and a bag of cauliflower, combined with 1 egg and a splash or 2 of stock, salt , and pepper (can also add more herbs here)

Put meat mixture in casserole pan ( mine was a big oval sucker) and top with squash mixture. I sprinkled on paprika too. Cook at 400 for 10 min, then broil for 10 min to crust the topping

I put it in the fridge overnight before cooking. When I got home from school, I took it put to come to room temp. It only took 20 min @ 400 and 10 # broil-lo to cook. Hubby liked it. Will freeze 1/2 tomorrow for future meals.

Have a good day everyone. With that, I am off to learn about bending people into knots to stretch them, and untying knots too.

A.j. as soon as I brought up the feed, your post was up. So funny you had shepard's pie, as I made the same for dinner last night. Was going to share my recipes. I tossed a few together for the final product.

Brown 2# meat of choice (lamb and Turkey were mine)

When done, remove meat from pot (Dutch oven here) and drain fat. Add chopped carrot, celery, peppers, onions, tc as wished. Cook till fork tender and add spices, (salt, pepper, thyme, oregano, etc of your choosing).

Combine @2 C stock with 2T tapioca flour to thicken. Add to pot and bring to boil.

For the topping I nuked a bag of butternut squash and a bag of cauliflower, combined with 1 egg and a splash or 2 of stock, salt , and pepper (can also add more herbs here)

Put meat mixture in casserole pan ( mine was a big oval sucker) and top with squash mixture. I sprinkled on paprika too. Cook at 400 for 10 min, then broil for 10 min to crust the topping

I put it in the fridge overnight before cooking. When I got home from school, I took it put to come to room temp. It only took 20 min @ 400 and 10 # broil-lo to cook. Hubby liked it. Will freeze 1/2 tomorrow for future meals.

Have a good day everyone. With that, I am off to learn about bending people into knots to stretch them, and untying knots too.

Archived