August 1st Group Thread

JennyF

Day 25. This program is HARD, but exactly what I needed. I've been a fairly healthy living person for the past 5 years.But I'd gotten sloppy and needed a hard line to follow to clean up my act. I have also been curious about what foods could be adding to my arthritis struggles. I've had tempatations so far but nothing to out of control. But today. Today is testing all of my limits. I've had a lot happen this month, a family member with serious problems in her living situation, I'm trying to buy my very first home, a difficult situation or 12 at work, my best friend on vacation this week(my program buddy). But today a friend is possibly taking his last breaths. He is a very close friend to some of my close friends and we've spent some fun times together. I am hurting for his family and his kids and my friends. I just cant tonight. But I did the best I could. dinner was a yukon gold potato and a piece of cold chicken.

Thinking of you, that would be rough

• Replies 624
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 25. This program is HARD, but exactly what I needed. I've been a fairly healthy living person for the past 5 years.But I'd gotten sloppy and needed a hard line to follow to clean up my act. I have also been curious about what foods could be adding to my arthritis struggles. I've had tempatations so far but nothing to out of control. But today. Today is testing all of my limits. I've had a lot happen this month, a family member with serious problems in her living situation, I'm trying to buy my very first home, a difficult situation or 12 at work, my best friend on vacation this week(my program buddy). But today a friend is possibly taking his last breaths. He is a very close friend to some of my close friends and we've spent some fun times together. I am hurting for his family and his kids and my friends. I just cant tonight. But I did the best I could. dinner was a yukon gold potato and a piece of cold chicken.

Hi Kelli,

I'm so sorry that you are going thru so much...but what a testimony it is that through it all you have remained compliant.  And also, it is prob. a clean body (through the cleanse) and a clearer mind (minus brain fog) that has prob. attributed to some peace of mind.  We will always be tempted in some way or another, but it is a great pleasure to me that in many ways this month I have been able to walk away from the food temptations that would have in past caused me to get in my car late at night to go and get a "fix", to overload my grocery cart with "carb trauma boxed, frozen or "fresh" ", etc....

You are your best self and prepared to help others because you have taken the time to take care of yourself!!!

Be blessed,

T

Day 26, I know we've all faced some ups and downs during this process but there's light at the end of the tunnel.  I can't say it's been easy but it hasn't been all that difficult for me.  I think I was just ready to make a change.  I'm looking at the whole 30 not as a 30 day challenge but a 30 day reprogramming in how I eat.  I plan on continuing with Paleo eating past this 30 days.  Food choices have become second nature now, I've found eating out to be not so hard when I'm aware of what is or is not compliant.  I feel better over all but I'm still waiting for that surge of energy.  I haven't quite felt that yet but I will say, I'm not feeling sapped of energy when I do workout. 

Anyway, stay strong everyone, we're almost there.

Have fun and have a great day!

Only 4 days left! Since we had been leading a fairly consistent primal lifestyle before this, I didn't really expect major changes. I really just wanted a reset because we had started getting a little sloppy, especially while we were away on a 10 day vacation at the end of July. However, one of the benefits that I hadn't expected was the reduction in my ADD symptoms. I find I'm better able to focus, finish tasks and less easily distracted. Bonus!

I've been sailing along pretty good thru this whole30, feeling pretty confident. Until today! So close to the end mark did not expect to feel what I can only describe as unexplained weepy emotions. Seemed to be triggered today by some stresses from work, which we all go thru, and is definitely not a first for me. But today I just started crying and could not stop, could not seem to get a hold of my emotions. And then was so mad at myself for not being able to control my emotions. I started thinking about a nice tall glass of southern sweet tea! But I did not succumb to the temptation. I started thinking that before I would have stuffed those emotions down with something sugary.  So, though I am not sure what is going on either emotionally or hormonally, I am thankful I did not resort to my old habits.

Day 27

Made it! Back to work and still working out. Had to throw in a 2 mile run because I couldn't figure out eating, gym, and schedule on my day off. Stayed local and got in some movement so that I can continue to work at getting sleep. Keep Trucking! Thanks for the encouragement.

A.J.

Good on you trucking along. I've come down with something that feels like a flu, and just really feel like throwing in the towel. I've done more research on FODMAPs on the internet and it seems some thing I thought were low, there is debate about, like yams and sweet potato. I'm worried I've done this all wrong, and wondering if I should just try and find a good doctor to help me through it (I was hoping to get the elimination diet to determine what foods I was havingissues with out of the way before I saw the doctor, just for financial reasons). 19 days to go (hopefully. One blog I saw said to go fo at least 5 symptomless days before reintroducing anything, so I'll wait and see

Hello all-     Just checking in on my original start group!   It sounds like challenges continue, but also some elevated spirits and positive emotions toward the end here.   Keep up the great work and stick it out for the duration -  the end is in sight!    (leahcarn-  I think we are on the same end time now... so for us the end is not as near but this is still doable do dont give up!!) 

Who is planning to post a success story or post-whole30 log?    I have found that looking at these is very motivating for me and I would love to read YOUR story.    

Day 28

Hooooooooray!

Still sticking to it and moving through the long days out in the world. Packed enough food for the day and a post WOD protein. My food intake is getting smaller, the first time this happened it alarmed me. Haha. I am a great big eater but when my insides get a rest I eat less and get satiated sooner in my meal. Pork butt on the slow cooker tonight, a carnitas recipe we will have to tag team. Clearly day 30 is insight but I am not interested in reintroducing or celebrating, yet. I am still working towards consistency energetically, i.e. hormones, and my total nervous system. I am in need of more time to be even. I really like what is happening to me, although detox is terrible terrible terrible some days. Today I got to work out after a 12 hour day and still report that I stayed on board. Great group and good work.

Onwards!

A.J.

Day 29! How is everyone?

My ups and downs continue - I've had a dizziness/middle ear problem for several years, and yesterday it suddenly got much worse again. I did lots of steam inhalation and it went back to normal levels of gunkiness (sorry, TMI...) so I've decided to carry on with the steaming for a week and see if I can shift it once and for all. Other than that, I'm doing well. My food sensitivities have settled down for the moment, my energy is nice and level all day (no tiger blood, though) and my blood pressure is great - 112/72 this morning, which is brilliant for an overweight 62 year old.

So after my freak out last week in which I said I was just going to crawl through to the finishing line, I've decided to keep going, at least for a Whole45. Anyone else with me?

Today's food:

Smoked trout fillet, roast vegetables, alfalfa/broccoli sprouts, handful of pistachios, blueberries.

Roast organic chicken wings, rest of breakfast vegetables, sweet potato/butternut squash, plums.

Cold chicken wings, mayo, mixed green leaves, balsamic vinaigrette, pickled beetroot.

Monthly poker game tonight - no snacking for me!

Wow! Here we are at Day 30!  Woo Hoo!  This has been an enlightening journey. I feel great about the progress I've made, and feel like the sugar dragon has been dormant for a while now. Though I am careful not to wake the sleeping creature!  I am excited to see what the scale has to say, but I already know that I have lost some weight and inches. But my main reason for starting this Whole30 was to solidify my new lifestyle of healthy eating and caring for myself and addressing my medical issues. So, though I will technically finish this Whole30, I will still stay pretty close on plan as I still have a good deal of pain from my autoimmune disease. I asked both my rheumatologist and my primary care doctor if they thought avoiding nightshade would help my cause and they both said not really. My primary care doctor, who is also the one who started me down the primal/Paleo path, said he would be concerned about me missing out on the vitamins and nutrients I would be getting from things like tomatoes, onions, spices, etc. So, I am still contemplating my next move.

Hope all of our August 1st Start Group had a great, enlightening, rewarding Whole30! Best wishes to you all in the days to come!

Day 30 of 30:

Thank you for the group support and shares. Keep in touch moving forward. Nice to meet some of you online and take care in your journey. My goals will be to continue for another 30 days.

A.J.

Well done to those finishing. I redid measurements today, and I have lost 1.3kg, which I wasn't intending to do, but I have also put on around 20 cm round the waist and hips and doubled my body fat percentage. No idea what's going on here :(

Wow! Here we are at Day 30!  Woo Hoo!  This has been an enlightening journey. I feel great about the progress I've made, and feel like the sugar dragon has been dormant for a while now. Though I am careful not to wake the sleeping creature!  I am excited to see what the scale has to say, but I already know that I have lost some weight and inches. But my main reason for starting this Whole30 was to solidify my new lifestyle of healthy eating and caring for myself and addressing my medical issues. So, though I will technically finish this Whole30, I will still stay pretty close on plan as I still have a good deal of pain from my autoimmune disease. I asked both my rheumatologist and my primary care doctor if they thought avoiding nightshade would help my cause and they both said not really. My primary care doctor, who is also the one who started me down the primal/Paleo path, said he would be concerned about me missing out on the vitamins and nutrients I would be getting from things like tomatoes, onions, spices, etc. So, I am still contemplating my next move.

Hope all of our August 1st Start Group had a great, enlightening, rewarding Whole30! Best wishes to you all in the days to come!

I'm no expert as this is my first W30 but I say quit the nightshades for 30 days! I mean eliminating NS's could be exactly what you need but you won't know unless you give it a shot. Take a good multi-vitamin, you'll be just fine! All the best to you!

We did it! I did it! I do respect everyone struggling with his/her own demons.

My clothes fit better. I found my old curves back (hey where were you!) I lost 4 kg and lots of cm waist minus 6 breast and hips munis 5 cm. I will continue with paleo. Although I will not go back to sweeteners in my coffee or in anything else. I won't eat paelofied food as much as I did. I stop eating breakfast and will start the day with meal 1! So leftovers etc they gave a lot of comfort in the morning and it good against waste etc. I will not go back to a glass of two of wine everyday (sometimes even more).

I will continue doing a cookup everyweek and take my Bento &Co everywhere for lunch, late evening

business meetings, business travel etc. And my EB (emergency box) will accompany me everywhere I go.

Everyweek I will show my husband my weight and measurements.

In conclusion I am happy I did this and I loved to read your fascinating stories of your own travels in this world of fine healthy dining.

Good luck to you all I will keep on following you! Thanks everyone and be sweet to yourselves.

Wow, I am so excited! Just took measurements and I lost 12 1/2 inches and seven pounds! And I ate! A lot! I am so excited to see how continuing a Paleo lifestyle affects my overall health! More later! Lots and lots of !!!!!!!!

Congratulations!

Roussa 57 thanks for the comprehensive check in on all of the positives. Trudging along, sometimes it is hard for me to celebrate the positive changes aloud. Especially, because my sleep goal is largely in progress and slaying the sleep dragon is still an uphill challenge!

Success in this 30 day challenge looks and sounds like this...(smiling while I type)

1. My spouse said yesterday in regards to food, "You are doing really good"; Then wrote an quick email this morning reiterating that sentiment and included "It might not have felt like it for  you, but for me it seems like it went by faster, the changes happened sooner".

After participating in the Whole 30 and working on my nutrition for several years now my body's adaptation towards eating clean transitioned much faster. Despite the nasty detox my body was thanking me the whole way by showing me. My concentration peaked consistently and is at the top of the list of changes I experienced. Not a goal I originally set. My number one focus became on succeeding no matter what and concentrating on that became easier than focusing on not having to start over. 

2. As a writer I have been able to put pen to page, my preference and write without prompting, struggle, nor distraction. I sit down to write and write. Anyone creative can tell you that is a feat in and of itself and I am proud to report that I am showing up to my writing in this good way. My food journal is consistent and my meal plans set forth as a goal were actualized.

3. Participating in this group contributed to my success in so many ways. In particular, I am not one to share publicly, much less online and so for me, this group and the Whole 30 forum allowed me to focus one topic and to commit. Your ups and downs certainly make for inspiration and so does your success. I will continue another 30 and hope hear from some of you along the way.

4. REM Sleep is hard to come bye. Unlike some of the post I read, I am full of Tiger Blood despite not sleeping enough. The Tiger Blood is actually part of what wakes me up or keeps me up at night; and/or prevents me from falling asleep altogether! Tinkering with my schedule is limited because I cannot workout early in the morning due to work, which is my preference. Any input from Moderators on fall asleep foods are welcomed! I am pushing it to the top of my goal list on this next 30 days.

5. Workouts have not only been on MWF, my initial goal, but increased to include Tuesday and Thursday evenings too! Even on days where I have had to miss, I have substituted a run for a workout, and have been able to combine workouts on days I am in the box. My strength has increased on all of my lifts, I have had a lot more fun working out, and I moved a few belt loops.

Thank you Whole 30 for providing this place to write about eating clean and to the group for reading.

Best Wishes,

A.J.

Does anyone have the recipe for the date, egg, coconut milk concoction for coffee? Of course it's for post Paleo only and I would really like to have yummy coffee again!

Ha! Found it!

http://www.kitchenkonfidence.com/date-creamer

Update to Date Creamer recipe. Not at all satisfying. Even cut the coconut milk by a third and added more dates and still meh. Will have to work on this!

Agreed. Autoimmune issues often react to eliminating nightshades. Do 30 days and see if you feel a difference.

I'm no expert as this is my first W30 but I say quit the nightshades for 30 days! I mean eliminating NS's could be exactly what you need but you won't know unless you give it a shot. Take a good multi-vitamin, you'll be just fine! All the best to you!

Well, my results were less than hopefully for. I did lose inches, and think my before and after pics show change. I only lost about 1#, but given I am retaining water just now, thank you mother nature, that is probably off. I ate on program, but could have made better choices. I never got my sleep figured out, and I am sure that hit me hard. Hubby is Ob day 16, so other than honey, maple syrup, and coconut sugar (last in 1 recipe), I am not really changing things.

I will fess up to making paleo pumpkin waffles for dinner. I have been craving them since about day 15. I truly get SWYPO now. Oh, my, goodness. I did stop before allowing myself to get ill. They will be a special treat co e winter. Maybe Christmas breakfast. Delish. 1 pancake and breakfast sausages will be awesome during a snowstorm.

Best part was breaking my first ever double yolk egg. Too cool!

Archived