August 1st Group Thread

JennyF

• Replies 624
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good luck to everyone today!!!

Day 4 here and going strong. Love that my mindset is just matter of fact and on board. Hope it stays this way!

What is everyone cooking this week? Looking forward to grocery shopping today and stocking up my frig!

Jan and Wendy - smoothies aren't recommended. There's some interesting discussion in the discussion below, where a moderator removed them for her Whole30 and realised she didn't feel good eating them afterwards. (I don't do liquid food, except for the occasional bowl of soup as part of a bigger meal - they make my blood sugar crazy!)

http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/11833-breakfast-smoothies/

http://whole9life.com/2014/04/ask-whole9-canada-smoothies-healthy/

Hi, my name is Stephanie and this is my first Whole30. I've had lots of allergies and allergic reactions for as long as I can remember - colic as a baby, excema at six months, asthma, migraines, IBS, urticaria and more. I did an elimination diet a couple of decades ago, and since then I've avoided wheat, and dairy intermittently, and a few other foods. I've been doing a stressful job for the last five and a half years - finishing yesterday, hooray! - which I managed by comfort eating carbs and putting on weight steadily. From time to time I've eaten clean and felt a lot better - nine months as a vegan a few years ago, for instance - but mostly I've mainlined junk food and felt worse and worse over the years. Time to clean up my act!

Busy day so far today on the prep and cooking front - I've made paleo mayo, a proper salad dressing and a slow cooker chilli for later - now about to use some of the mayo to make a Waldorf chicken salad for lunch. Really not used to so much cooking prep compared to my usual tired and lazy ready meal routine - but I'm determined to stick it out. Nice to see so many other people doing the same!

Well this is fun!

I'm Laura and this is Day ONE of my 3rd Whole30.  I'm a cubicle dweller by day and a pole fitness instructor by night.  I'm so excited to be doing this again.. but I'm well aware of what's ahead.  Carb flu... not looking forward to it.  But, it's temporary.

It's so refreshing to read all the comments from the first-timers.  I can already see how far you've come and all the things you're learning from one another.  You'll make some mistakes, but we all did our first time (and second, and so on).

Why I'm doing this...

1. Because I love this little community and I've never participated in a "site-wide" Whole30 before.  I think it'll be fun to collaborate and commiserate :)

2. The last 2 whole30's I kept getting comments like "WOW you're looking pretty ripped lately" and "You're just GLOWING"

3. I went on a "bulking cycle" recently that got out of hand.  Yes, I've improved dramatically on my all my lifts and gained muscle, but I'm also now carrying around a wheel of pudge around my middle.  And Chipotle is getting half my paycheck and that STOPS NOW.

4. I'm ready for the challenge again.  It's high summer and I'm ready to take all the farmers market veggies and transform them in my kitchen to something wonderful and nutritious.  Yes, it's harder than grabbing a quick bite at the italian place around the corner. But it's soooo worth it.

5. Because I'm aiming to do a pole dance competition next spring, so training needs to start ramping up. I LOVED the energy and good sleep I got with Whole30 and that's exactly what needs to improve right now.

Things I've learned...

1. Don't go pants shopping around days 6-14.  Its common to bloat a little bit in the beginning.  Don't freak out.

2. Disappear into a little pain cave until carb flu subsists. I don't want to ruin friendships with my surliness.

3. It sucks to spend a huge chunk of my weekend shopping, prepping, and cooking. But if I don't.. I'm in a world of trouble during the week.  Just get it done. It's only 30 days.

Day one is off to a strong start...I've discovered that drinking my coffee black isn't so bad.

I know how this can look a bit daunting to some of us...how am I going to make it for 30 days?

It's kind of like when you start on a run, 4, 5, 6 miles or more, I just break those bigger tasks down into smaller ones.  I can make it to the tree at the end of the block, the street sign up there isn't so far.

That's how I'm approaching this whole30, one meal at a time.  I can make it a few hours at a time and eat my next meal according to the guidelines we have.

It really helps me see things as much easier to achieve and as I reach each smaller goal, I'm motivated to reach the next.

Hope that helps.

Have a great day everyone!

Day 1 is starting just fine, eggs and avocado w/black coffee for breakfast. Yum!

If you're finding prices of certain foods to be too expensive in your local health stores check out these sites:

Puritan's Pride  - great prices, just read the labels!

Vitacost  IMO - they have the best quality products, but just be careful to check the labels!  - Full disclosure, this is a friend reference link, so if you click it you'll save $10 off your first order and I'll save $10 on my next order. If you're not comfortable with that, then just check out vitacost.com :)  

Nutiva - great site for coconut and red palm products. They have awesome coconut shortening and good prices of c-nut oil plus they practice sustainable farming.  They have bundle specials every Tuesday.

Nuts.com - they have excellent prices on nuts and dried fruits, most available raw or dry roasted (no oils!).  Their shipping is CRAZY FAST too!

I hope you all have a wildly successful first day.  LET'S DO THIS!  :D

Hi, I'll be doing the Whole30. I'm a little nervous, since this will be the THIRD time I've tried the Whole30 this summer - and I've failed after a few days each time, because I've rationalized cheats to myself. I'm hoping that the third time is a charm. I don't have four goals: my only goal is to stick to the program and reap the benefits. 

I'm feeling really stuffed and gross from cookies and Mac n Cheese this evening. Change needs to happen now. Glad others will be doing it with me!

Hi there,

We can do it. I think this forum will really help those of us who have tried in the past and not succeeded. I can relate as I have tried to complete the Whole30 multiple times with no success. As soon as I see results and start to feel better I find a way to "justify" and off plan item then get out of control once I have something I shouldn't.

We are all here for each other and can do it!

Hi, my name is Amy. I am 36 and I have decided to do another Whole 30. I did a complete one last summer and I lost 15 pounds and felt great! Then I slowly went back to eating a sucky diet again. I've tried several times to start another Whole 30, and this time I am determined to stick it through. I use to be a carb girl, but lately I have developed a huge sugar tooth, so not eating ice cream every night is going to be a challenge for me. :)

Since I already know my only food allergy is gluten, I am doing this to jump start weight loss, and get back that awesome tiger's blood feeling I had after doing the program.

Hello, I am Diane and I live in Miami. I am so excited to start my first ever Whole30 program today! There are many reasons why I'm trying this but its mainly because of the way I've been feeling lately. I know its my bodies way of telling me I am not being nice to it. I used to be someone really active but for the past three years I started working full time in an office job where most of my activities include sitting in a really comfy chair for most of the day...needless to say, this has had a major effect on my health. I stopped going to the gym last december and it has really taken a tole on me. I plan to start my whole30 and the gym (slowly) up again this month and I can't wait to start feeling the energy! 

My goals for this month are:

-To stay on track (I have a weak spot for sweets) 

-Feel more energy

-Expand my horizon and eat more veggies

-Drink more water

-Get out and exercise more

I am also trying to track my progress on a blog: http://smileitsdiane.wordpress.com

Here, I explain this in more detail and I will post pictures of the food I'm making. I would love some responses and possible tips! 

I am excited to be a part of this support group because I know I will need the help and support of people going through the same program! 

Hello,

My name is Robin, I'm 55, married and we live in Virginia (recent transplant from California).  We have three children ages: 25, 26, and 31. Three dogs (two aussies and a dachshund) and a horse. We moved from the city to the country to get out of the rat race with the hopes of a better quality of life.  I absolutely love living in the country!

In Ca, I did my first Ironman at age 52, I swam on the master's team, to say the least, I was very active; however, I am no longer training and I haven't changed my eating habits.  I started gaining weight, been diagnosed with Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, muscle pain, arthritis, depression, sugar addiction and a very poor body image that was justified by seeing my "first photos".  

My greatest challenges: breakfast, cream in my coffee, and avoiding my "nervous" eating habits. 

Goals:

1) Need to change my thoughts about food and my cravings for sugar and carbohydrates.  

2) Lose weight 

3) Just feel better (psychologically and physically) 

I look forward to the whole30 challenge...I want this, I need this, I can do this!

Robin

Day one is off to a strong start...I've discovered that drinking my coffee black isn't so bad.

I know how this can look a bit daunting to some of us...how am I going to make it for 30 days?

It's kind of like when you start on a run, 4, 5, 6 miles or more, I just break those bigger tasks down into smaller ones.  I can make it to the tree at the end of the block, the street sign up there isn't so far.

That's how I'm approaching this whole30, one meal at a time.  I can make it a few hours at a time and eat my next meal according to the guidelines we have.

It really helps me see things as much easier to achieve and as I reach each smaller goal, I'm motivated to reach the next.

Hope that helps.

Have a great day everyone!

This is great advice! I do the exact same thing when I run. This will make my difficult days a bit more bearable. 

Happy August 1st. My names Barb, wife and mom to two little girls up in Ontario, Canada. My family, and myself, are my motivation to "get healthy". I'm sick of feeling blah, having no energy and being unhappy in this body. I have thyroid issues, so am going to start with Whole30, then see if I need to look into Autoimmune Paleo. I used to be a chef and currently am a manager at Starbucks. I need to kick the sugar habit. My black coffee was not wonderful this morning, I miss my lattes already, but I"ll get there.

Day 1 - so far so good, but then I haven't eaten anything yet today. :)

My first challenge - having to say no to an offer of a FRESH Krispy Kreme doughnut first thing at work.

I'd say no anyway (no gluten for me), but just the irony of the offer on day 1 struck me.

Breakfast today will be 2 hard boiled eggs and some blueberries with coconut milk. My biggest challenge is how to include more veggies, especially for breakfast.

Anyone have any ideas?

I think one of the best ideas is to forget the rules! Well, not the whole30 rules but food rules like you have to have a "breakfast-y" type food in the morning! Have whatever you feel like, leftovers from dinner, a salad w/ protein, etc. I just read the day one from the whole30 daily email and loved that it included a basic easy recipe and then said "for breakfast add an egg to the mix" :) We tend to make our dinners our "all out" meal and we need that energy more at the start of the day anyways :) I know families who reverse it, making breakfast the biggest meal and simplifying it for lunch and more so for dinner.

Best wishes! 

Hi! My name is Atticus and this is my second Whole 30. I did it about a year ago. The support emails are great and helpful. The program is great, too! It's not easy, either. But getting the emails that tell you how and why you either feel GREAT or AWFUL is really helpful. It's weird how 30 days can feel like forever and also really short. It really just depends what you have going on in your life and your perspective. Changing your perspective just a TINY bit can make a huge difference. For example: I have a 16 month old son. If I look at what a small percentage of time 30 days is to his life and how long I'll be a part of it compared to how BIG a difference just 30 days can make in my health and energy, so that I can be a healthy and energetic dad, it gives me a positive and exciting perspective on the Whole 30 on those mornings when I'm still fighting the sugar dragon or evenings when I want to crack open a cold beer and watch a movie.

I'm looking forward to sharing my journey and reading about everybody's. I'll post some goals in a future post!

Just finished reading Day 1 on the daily newsletter and now getting ready for my day. I have to get all of my food together because I will be gone all day. I am hoping that my employer doesn't cook her cookies or banana bread this week. That was my last down fall when I tried to do it last time. I will make sure that I have plenty of food just in case.

Food for today should be:

flank steak with cabbage slaw

Asian ground turkey stir-fry

Apple gate beef dogs with veggie (daikon, cucumber, carrots) and guacamole 

Not sure what is for dinner.

I do have to make sure I don't go hungry per my Dr for the leakey gut diet. So I will be eating more times per day. I eat until I am full but not stuffed but I am going to try to limit it to 4 times per day instead of 5-6. We will see how it goes. I do know if I am sleeping and I wake up hungry I have to eat or else I won't go back to sleep.

Hi all,

My name is Vanessa. I'm 29 years old and from Vancouver, BC. I just completed my first Whole30 a couple days ago and thought it would be wise to continue as I feel like I'm just beginning to notice the benefits. (Not to mention there was a fair amount of SWYPO this past month!  ;) )

The issues I'm struggling with are: extreme bloating (a constant for pretty much my whole life), depression, and anxiety. (I also had severe anorexia from age 11-25, and though I'm mostly recovered now, there are still a few remaining habits that I'd like to break.) The bloating is my biggest concern, vain as it may be. I'm in pretty damn good shape, but I still have this distended belly! All I want is for it be normal - not asking for a six-pack (though that would be nice!) - I've been sucking my stomach in for 15 years now and I'm sick of it!

Therefore, my main goals for this Whole30 are to:

1. Eliminate (not reduce, eliminate!) the constant bloating 

2. Heal my gut 

3. Improve my relationship with food*

*I want to see food more as fuel rather than an escape or replacement for other forms of nourishment. That's not to say that food is not/cannot be enjoyable; I just want to break the habit of thinking about it 24/7 and using it as an accomplice for my depression.

As an additional challenge, there will be no SWYPO for me this time around! (Those "fat bombs" have gotta go!)

Good luck, everyone! (Not that we need it - we got this thang DOWN!  :D )

1) Who am I? My name is Lauren, I live in the beautiful hills of the Arkansas River Valley area, I'm approaching my 30th birthday in November, wife to Nathaniel for seven years, mother to two little boys, the first of which turned FIVE today! :-) I am a stay at home mom and will be starting to homeschool officially next week. One day I hope to teach natural childbirth classes!

2) Why Whole30? I have a rare pregnancy related autoimmune disease that came up in both pregnancies,but especially early and severe in my second. The past three years have been a battle to climb out of the emotional and physical mess I was in due to pregnancy, disease, and relatively high dose and long term prednisone use. Depression, muscle and joint pain, weight gain, Roid rage, skin flare ups, intestinal distress and frequent illness, blood sugar issues, etc. Praise The Lord I am only 10 pounds away from the top of my healthy weight range, and about 20 pounds from what I believe to be ideal. My symptoms have all improved over time, and I've seen most of my adrenal fatigue issues largely resolved. Low carb worked to lose some of the weight, but it usually made me get sick. When I did the W30 for the first time last November, I was shocked that even though my kids had a stomach bug, I didn't get it!!! And many of my skin issues cleared up by the end of the month. So in a nut shell, I need to lose some more weight and eliminate again those foods which exacerbate my autoimmune symptoms. This will be my third W30, with a couple of failed attempts in between. I had wanted to stick with it 90 days last time instead of 30, but we bought and remodeled a house this spring, so it just didn't happen!

3) Greatest challenges: staying ahead on meal prep, and starting to homeschool next week is new territory, so I imagine that will bring it's own set of challenges. No one else is doing it with me locally, though my hubby will eat whatever I put in front of him, so I am glad to have this group for support.

4) List at least 3 goals you hope to accomplish during August

1. Stick with it and drop 10 pounds (be in the healthy range for my height, I dropped 8 pounds on my first W30 and 10 pounds on my second.)

2. Work out 5-6 days/week (planned on starting Ripped in 30, but just injured my foot this week, so may have to work back up to it)

3. Get tested for food allergies to confirm my experience

4. Continue to work on responding to situations and especially my children with love and patience--pleasant words. "Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones." Prov. 16:24. "A harsh word stirs up strife, but a gentle answer turns away wrath." Prov. 15:1. This will set the tone in my home, honor the Lord, and promote love and health for everyone! And may be particularly challenging in the first week!

Day 1 is off to a good start so far! And today is my big cook up day to stock my freezer with already-prepped protein! I'd better get moving!

Hi! My name is Mandi and I'm a Physical Therapist in Portland, OR. My husband and I are starting today (though he's going camping so technically is starting tomorrow after a freezedried breakfast...). We are both looking to redefine how we interact with food and break poor habits and cycles like drinking alcohol too frequently and eating chips by the handful. I've done a lot of travelling recently and my gut has been feeling the restaurant food in a bad way too. We don't cook meat hardly at all at home, so I am looking forward to stepping up and learning to do it well (I'm squeamish with raw meat).

Goals:

- stick with it for 30 days (2 weeks is usually my failure point)

- Feel better

- Learn to cook with meat!

Here we go!

Mandi

Hi girls!  This sounds great.  I have done this last year and did feel awsome but of course on day 31 went back to most of my old habbits.  I must say I think sugars will be my biggest challenge and of course the wine as well.  Would love to keep inspired and motivated and happy to be a part of this August group!  Heading to the store right after work to get stocked up.  I found a big pot of soup w veggies and chicken were always a good go to!  Have a good day.  Tara

Good morning, everyone! My name is Rebecca (Reba is my nickname), and I live in Southwestern Colorado.

I decided to do a Whole 30 and day 1 is off to a good start. I discovered that black coffee is tasty, though I didn't use much sweetener in it anyway - usually only half a packet of truvia. Breakfast was a hard boiled egg chopped over steamed broccoli, chopped tomato, half an avocado and homemade dijon vinaigrette. Quite tasty. Breakfast will be a big change for me, as I normally am not at all hungry in the morning.

My reasons for doing a Whole 30 are:

1) Severe digestive issues. I have frequent IBS flare-ups that knock me down for 2-3 days at a time.

2) Massive weight gain, even though I try to stay consistent with exercise. I'm about 140lbs now, and I was 120-125 up until a couple years ago. I hope to lose weight and inches - it'll be tough not to get on a scale but I'll go by how my clothes fit (very little of my wardrobe fits right now).

3) I want to give up alcohol, and need an eating plan that won't lead to cravings. I have read that having protein at every meal prevents alcohol cravings.

Looking forward to this journey!

Archived