August 1st Group Thread

JennyF

Hi guys,

my name's Kathy and I am in for a second round on August 1st :) I'm currently on Day 29 of a Whole30 and will be trying to push through to make it a Whole100 as I am going on holidays at the end of the year for two months and want to really enjoy myself.

I live on the Central Coast in NSW, Australia and have a busy lifestyle with my husband. He commutes to Sydney to work and I have a full time job on the coast and also run a tuition business from our house. We have a kitten and a puppy and are also in the middle of kitchen renovations! So doing the Whole30 has been challenging and I'm still learning about how my body reacts to certain foods. I haven't broken any of the Whole30 rules but I know that there are things I can do better. Because we haven't had access to cooking facilities for two weeks I have relied a lot on fruit to get my 1-2 cups in per meal so I'm looking forward to changing that up this round.

My husband and I are also really interested in photography and he is starting up his own business which I will help him to run. It's a lot of fun but also requires a lot of energy and sometimes it's hard to find that motivation. I go to the gym 4 days a week but am in remission for a back injury so I'm restricted to the type of exercises I can do; however, so far I've noticed a massive increase in my ability to take on more and more so the Whole30 is already having good effects on me :)

My goals for round 2 are to mix up the types of vegetables I'm eating so that I'm getting a wide range of nutrients, focus more on my sleeping habits and be more vigilant about eating out.

Looking forward to the kick-off date! :)

I am really intrigued to the idea of carrying this whole30 into a whole4ever, so I will anticipate your posts! Is there any way you can share some of the recipes/meals that you have done during the first round? Thank You in advance!!! And congratulations on making it through the 1st round!

• Replies 624
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Started today, dinner just beeped finish! I've done paleo challenges before with great success in conjunction with Crossfit. That was nearly a year ago. This summer I messed up my back a bit, had a huge month and a half long vacation that was very unhealthy and am feeling the drag since. Time to clean it up again. I will be doing at home workouts (T25) through this month and will be returning to crossfit afterwards. I expect to make mine a whole60 at least :) Once I get over the original withdrawals its pretty simple to stick to, and quite empowering.

I am a stay at home homeschooling mom of 3 amazing kids. My husband currently lives and works halfway around the world. That being said, my greatest weakness is what is quick and convenient. I don't find cooking therapeutic like some lucky folks do, but I do love and appreciate real food cooked well from home. 

My goals: 

To lose weight, of course.

Get some energy back.

Break that dependency on convenient foods and remind myself I can do this. 

Make meal prep a habit.

:) Happy eating!

Interesting video that discusses "5 Steps To Change Your Life And Make It Stick".  It details what actually happens inside our bodies on a cellular level when we consciously work to form new positive habits.  It explains why some people successfully form new habits while others seem to slip back into old habits again and again.  Bingo!!!

I had to watch this a few times to get it inside my head, but it was well worth the time.  I took notes the 3rd time and it really resonated with this program that we are on together and how we might be able to make it stick all the way through to the end of 30 days.  

Fascinating video.  

Jenny

Hmmmm.. when I attached the link above, it didn't show up. If you can't see it for some reason, do a search on YouTube for:   5 Steps To Change Your Life and Make It Stick with Marie Forleo, you'll be able to find it and watch.  It's really worth it.  I'll try again here:

My name is Tracey...also from Wisconsin!

I'm a mom of six children ages 17, 15, 11, 8, and 2 year old twins!  I've been wheat-free for over a year and found the health benefits so amazing that I started a blog to help promote the concept.

My goal is start whole30 on August 1st to fine tune my own health further.  I'm also including my twins in this process as their systems still have some inflammation even without the wheat.

Our Goals:

1.  Good bye to sugar cravings for me...mainly ice cream and dark chocolate

2.  Regular solid poos for our little ones

3.  Continue to learn about the foods we eat and how it affects our bodies

Thanks!

Tracey

www.wheat-free-kitchen.com

Hello. My name's Ryan from Kansas City, and I'll be starting the program on Friday as well. I'm recently married, and spent a large chunk of my Mexico honeymoon reading ISWF, haha. For most of my adult life, I've dealt with low-level depression and a-little-higher-level anxiety, as well as just feeling really tired and unmotivated much of the time. I've researched elimination diets in the past, but Whole30 is the first program I've seen that really takes the guesswork out of what needs to be (and not be) done, and I think that's what sold it for me. The idea of this 30-day reset is very appealing. 

My wife is going to be helping me out, diet-wise. She's an awesome cook, and the reason I eat as well as I do, and she's agreed to cook whatever recipes I forward on to her if I do the grocery shopping - sounds fair to me. She is not giving up the alcohol and cigarettes, though, and that's probably going to be the roughest part of this for me, as we're definitely two-day-per-week party people who smoke and drink. I'm sure I can get out of some of these gatherings, but I'll definitely find myself among people who are indulging, and I'm already trying to kind-of figure out how I'm going to deal with that aspect. 

Goals that I have for this August challenge are:

1. Plan meals a week out, probably on Sundays.

2. Improve my running. I just completed my first 10K in June, and am beginning a 38-wk half-marathon training program around the same time I start the Whole30. I hope this isn't biting off more than I can chew, but you know what they say about exercise being a mood-enhancer.

3. I'd also like to get on a more consistent sleep schedule. I don't generally sleep well, and I think it's awesome that this program might help with that. 

Thanks to everyone for their stories and comments - it's encouraging to know you're not alone.  Best of luck!

Guest Andria

Don't mean to be a party pooper, but I am just reading responses and deciding if I am going to join the August 1st start group and wanted to respond to the above post by JennyF.  The blended frozen banana concoction (Yonanas) is definitely a no go(it's SWYPO) for a Whole30.  It wasn't clear from your post if you planned on eating it during your Whole30 but wanted to mention it to be on the safe side.

Hmmmm.. when I attached the link above, it didn't show up. If you can't see it for some reason, do a search on YouTube for: 5 Steps To Change Your Life and Make It Stick with Marie Forleo, you'll be able to find it and watch. It's really worth it. I'll try again here:

Crystal, 29, new mommy, wife, high school cooking teacher, lab lover.

This will be my 7th round of Whole30 since 2012 (have had 3 successful rounds). I haven't done a Whole30 since August of last year when I was pregnant. Ended up with C-section and have 30lbs added to my body from pregnancy. Would love to reboot and also am going to go AIP style with this round for 2 weeks. It will be tough as Whole30 is already quite restrictive but I know it's going to help me figure out why I have chronic psoriatic arthritis and IBS. 

Excited to have this thread to talk about food, share recipes and occasionally vent. 

Greatest Challenges:

1. New mom to a quickly growing boy

2. Budget, need to stay on a spending plan

3. I'm a full time grad student, thankfully i'm on summer break from teaching. 

Goals:

1. Spend 2 of the weeks AIP (autoimmune protocol)

2. Grocery shop for meals on one day

3. Complete this round successfully!

I am really intrigued to the idea of carrying this whole30 into a whole4ever, so I will anticipate your posts! Is there any way you can share some of the recipes/meals that you have done during the first round? Thank You in advance!!! And congratulations on making it through the 1st round!

Once you get into the swing of things, extending it out isn't as daunting as it first sounds, but I'm such a planner anyway that I'm factoring in my Whole100 into a lot of social events and thinking of ways to troubleshoot each situation. Luckily I've got a wonderfully supportive family and friendship group that will help me out :)

I keep my eating habits pretty simple - I don't mind eating the same food a few days in a row. In fact, I tend to make slow cooker casseroles on a Sunday night and then take this for lunch Monday-Friday. Breakfasts are typically leftovers from dinner and dinners alternate between meat and roasted vegetables or meat and stirfried vegetables. On weekends I go a little bit more all out and do a big breakfast with sweet potato hash (grated sweet potato mixed with garlic, salt and pepper, fried in a bit of coconut oil) and will tend to do a roast or something.

Happy to post meals as I go, especially when I find something yum! :)

Hi, I am Rachael, another New Zealander.

This will be my second attempt at a Whole30, starting August first. I made it to day 23 last time before going crazy for paleo imitations of baked goods, so that will be my biggest challenge for this time.

I am also travelling out of town for a conference Aug 1-3, so if I can make it through that I can do anything!

I am going to stop tracking food and weighing myself for the month of August, but take measurements before and after. I am also only going to exercise if I feel like it, I'm concentrating a lot on the mental side of Whole30 this time, so if I work out it will be because I had energy to burn, not because I felt I had to.

In Summary

Challenges

1) Staying on plan through the conference

2) No Paleofications / SWYPO

3) Non-paleo spouse (although he is very supportive)

Goals

1) Determine a few more food intolerances, investigate FODMAP's more closely

2) Break the mental side of my sugar/treat cravings, feed my body nourishment instead

3) Stay relatively low carb to avoid setting off winter carb cravings

Hi, I'm Catherine, living in Sydney Australia.

I have two children - a 3 year old girl and a 1 year old boy. I'm lucky to have lost my baby weight fairly quickly, mainly through clean eating, but I have some bad habits I want to address, which I'm hoping will give me more energy and help combat the tiredness I feel a lot of the time. I have a sweet tooth and I love my creamy cafe mochas, so cutting out the coffees and baked goods will be a challenge. I've been eating around 80% paleo for a few months, and definitely feel better for it, but steering clear of paleofied treats is new to me so I'm expecting some serious sugar withdrawals!

My husband and a couple of friends are taking part from 1st August as well, so we'll be doing some "compliant" dinner parties to help us stay on track.

Best of luck to everyone in the August group!

Aloha everyone!

My name is Shanon and I am 32 (turning 33 on August 1) here in Honolulu, Hawaii.

I have decided to start my whole30 as a birthday present to myself this year....I have discovered that I am sensitive to gluten (via personal science experiment - no official diagnosis yet, although my aunt has an official celiac diagnosis).  Going gluten free has seen many improvements in various things (allergies, sinuses, nasal drip, cough, migraines, just ickyness overall) but I know there are many things that are still not right with my body...I have never been a "morning person"...ever....lol.  Still lacking a lot of energy overall throughout the day and just not motivated to do very much.  As someone who is only 4'11" tall, I know that my current weight of 180 pounds is nowhere near healthy....hoping to reset a lot of things over the next 30 days....

goals:

1) lose weight

2) get healthy

3) show family and friends that it is possible

challenges:

1) family not interested in going whole30

2) eating enough and at the right times of day (I am not a morning person and have never been a fan of early morning breakfasts....dont usually feel like eating until about 9am)

3) resetting my sleep/wake schedules.....

Good Morning August 1st Preppers!!

I was looking up a few ingredients to help me prep for our Aug 1st start date to see what is actually allowed on the W30.  I was looking for Cocoa Powder and Nutritional Yeast and discovered this list on our forum. Someone else posted that they wish they had seen this list before they started their 30 day program, so I'm posting it here to help with our planning:

How is everyone doing this morning?   Is everyone still motivated to do this? I hope you will each take the time to view the video I posted from YouTube yesterday.  It really helped me to gain some perspective on how to stick with this program.

So here's the link to the food list:

http://whole30.com/2013/06/the-official-can-i-have-guide-to-the-whole30/

Hi!

I am 41 yo mother of two and happily married of 15 years. Wow I'm getting old:)

I am ready to get it back together. I have done successful whole30s only to throw it all away within months. Roller coaster rider here. Currently I have been without a kitchen for 6 weeks and have tried to be good off and on but in the end, my 10+ pounds have come back, sleep is not good, tired and bloated. I am ready for a reset and again, to find balance with food and exercise. It is a total mind game! Who gains all their weight back within weeks? Crazy!!!

My kitchen will be getting put back together starting.....today!!!!!! And I will have no more exuses so I am really excited to get back on track and to feel wonderful again! I can't say enough about this program. I have read and seen amazing results. For me, I just feel great. Confidant, good in my clothes, steady energy throughout the day, sleeping like a baby. No bloat, no puffy face. Happy. Why in the world would I want to give that up? It's the trick of feeling good. I feel like I'm good, I can have this and then this and then a little more and then it's all over. I am thankful to have the knowledge of how to fix it though! Whole30 rocks!

My challenges - noncompliant family (have made bay step changes)

Wanting to go off when tired. Need to just take a power nap or go to bed.

Goals - make it at least 30 days no slips

Keep at crossfit at least two times a week and get back at running.

Plan, plan, plan!!! Keep it simple through the week, try something new on the weekend. Be easy on myself. Come up with a present at the end of each week to myself for being diligent.

I might just start today!

Good luck to everyine!!!!

AJ

Hello!   

I am a 48 year old mom, wife, research scientist and health seeker.    I have been "moving toward good" with workouts with a trainer 2X week since Dec 2012.   I have also been cleaning up my eating  patterns bit by bit along the way (trying to be a clean eating locovore) and have gained lots of strength and lost some weight (that I know will stay off this time) .  I recently added some sprinting/cardio and bike riding and wanted to push myself a bit harder on the clean eating.   I am already gluten free, and the Whole 30 seemed like the way to take it to the next level.     

I have been preparing my kitchen and experimenting with the foods/ingredients that were relatively new to me-  like ghee and coconut oil/coconut milk-  and  I got the cookbook Well Fed by Mellissa Joulwan-  really amazing- and I love, love, love the Pad Thai recipe.  I am feeling mostly prepared for the August 1 start date but think that these will be my challenges:

* saying goodbye to my morning coffee with milk (even though its local, whole, grass fed).   I really, really do not like black coffee so it is likely cold turkey for me

* figuring out breakfast-  I am typically a gluten free oats and fruit kind of person- I have been trying out eggs and such, but it is getting old fast - I actually might do Pad Thai for breakfast today!

* figuring out supplements-   I currently take a vitamin D, a fish oil and Zyflamend by New Chapter.  None are compliant.

*  staying fueled for my workouts-  but not relying too much on fruit 

My goals for the program:

*no slips- prove it to myself!

*pay attention to my body's response- be gentle with myself when I am feeling off or low energy

*pay attention to what I really like and want to keep as part of my lifestyle post Whole 30

* losing 7 lbs wouldn't hurt! (That is what it will take for me to be out of the obese category and finally into  the "just" overweight category)

Happy to be part of this support string!   

Just bought Wel Fed and Wel Fed 2 by Melissa Joulwan! It is a cookbook that has recipes that directly refer to Whole30! Pretty excited about this purchase, as I believe it will be the perfect resource to keep me on track!

Wow. I went to bed last night and then to work today and there has been so much said since I last checked. Having read through all the concerns listed above (nodding my head in agreement so much that my daughters asked what was wrong) I kept thinking back to when I finally managed to quit smoking last year after 20 years of dedicated puffing!

I went to Allan Carrs session and the guy there told us to picture a little nicotine monster in the pit of our stomachs that was behaving like a tantrum-prone toddler. The more nicotine (substitute wheat and sugar and dairy here) we fed the monster, the more it wanted and the more it needed to be satisfied. And the satisfaction would never last for long. If at first we ignored the monster it would throw a tantrum and (like my 4 year old) it would get louder and louder while trying to get what it wanted. But, like my daughter, after being ignored through the tantrum, eventually it would give up - about 5 mins in truth - which feels hellishly long when something is screaming inside you to feed it. But I kept picturing this little monster having a tantrum and it helped, cause I would definitely not let that bratty little monster beat me. Eventually, over about 2 weeks, the tantrums stopped completely. The monster starved and finally died.

I do still have moments when I could do with a cigarette but I know now that I am only hurting my body and likely to awaken a horrible little monster. I cannot help but seeing the same principle at work here. Sugar is just as addictive and deadly as nicotine! Processed foods are also monsters. Wheat has such an adverse effect on me that I immediately know I am hurting myself seconds after that bread has hit my lips.

So for now I will picture a hairy puss-filled donut and not something delicious and desirable - let's hope it helps.

And Jen, I am in the big city of Johannesburg - a good 6 hour drive from Kruger (a truly special place indeed) but we are fortunate enough to be close to many other nature reserves. I love this place - we truly are a rainbow nation. I have spent time in Europe and Aus but I have never been to the States so I have that to look forward to. And I plan to visit New Zealand for my 40th in a few years - I understand it is glorious!

Looking forward to more chats during the coming 30 days! Stay focussed, stay healthy, stay strong.

Don't mean to be a party pooper, but I am just reading responses and deciding if I am going to join the August 1st start group and wanted to respond to the above post by JennyF.  The blended frozen banana concoction (Yonanas) is definitely a no go(it's SWYPO) for a Whole30.  It wasn't clear from your post if you planned on eating it during your Whole30 but wanted to mention it to be on the safe side.

Bananas and strawberries are allowed on the program.  I wasn't planning on adding anything else.  The difference being I can freeze them ahead of time and run through my dessert bullet to enjoy cold.  Is there a program problem with eating them frozen vs not?  I hadn't seen anything that says contrary. 

I just signed up for the forum because I thought it would be interesting to go through this with other people. The first Whole30 I did was in July 2013 (except that I turned it in to a Whole80). I was doing great up until preparing to move across the country. 8 months later I found myself staring the Whole30 program in the face.  I just "finished" my 2nd Whole30 about a week and 1/2 ago, but am ready to continue it with everyone on Friday, and maybe offer some ongoing support to those who haven't done it before. 
My greatest challenges (still) are sugars, and warm crusty bread. ::drool::

My goals for August are:
...to reaffirm with myself that I am not being denied anything, and instead am choosing to make choices that make me feel better. 
...to continue working on the psychology behind stress and anxiety eating.
...and staying committed to finding new and healthy ways to tickle the palette. 

Jenny, I don't think that there is an issue with the frozen fruit but vanilla and cocoa are out. But that machine sounds brilliant - I have never heard of it.

Jenny, I don't think that there is an issue with the frozen fruit but vanilla and cocoa are out. But that machine sounds brilliant - I have never heard of it.

Here's a link that provides information on the Dessert Bullet:  https://www.dessertbullet.com/?gclid=CMy-kJqE678CFQSEaQodGQQA0A

Wonderful product!

Archived