August 1st Group Thread

JennyF

Hi, I am Hilary.  I live in Stuttgart, Germany and am 55 years old.  I have two sons and a great husband. My goals are to stick to the Whole 30 for 30 days.  I have tried before and not made it.  My challenges will be having no coffee, drinking enough water, and getting through pot lucks and dinner invites without massive casualties.  I hope that after 30 days I can reintroduce things that I suspect are not much of a bother to my system and become aware of the things that are.  I don't believe I will ever be a person who totally eliminates any particualr food item but I know that I need to be extremely careful about how much of certain things I eat.  I have particular issues with tendonitis, bloating and sleep issues.

Let's do this.  I am considering the newsletter to help but not sure if I will read it/use it.

• Replies 624
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi---My name is Joyce and I live in Tennessee. I am 57 years old and a school librarian. I love to garden, cook, travel, and read. I am just starting to learn to play golf with my youngest son. I have chickens and I also keep bees for a hobby.

I have started the Whole30 a couple of times before, but like others, the sugar dragon got me. I think the longest I stuck with it was 8 days and I really was starting to feel so good. I have 10-15 pounds to lose, but mostly want to get better sleep and have more energy. I want to get rid of my brain fog. When I follow a paleo diet, I notice that my sleep improves and anxiety diminishes almost immediately.

So the toughest spots for me are going to be not giving in to sugar as well as just social situations. I don't like to draw attention to myself so it will be a challenge to avoid non-compliant foods while not making a big deal out of it. I have a couple of good friends who like to get together and catch up over a glass or two of wine, so that will be a challenge to avoid, too.

But I feel certain I can do this. In reading others' posts that they have survived, I know I can, too. I do not have any real health issues but do feel a lot better when I avoid grains. I have read It Starts with Food and I have some great paleo cookbooks. My favorites are Well Fed and Well Fed 2.

I am glad for the August 1st support group and know it will really help me stay focused. August is a good time to start for me because school is starting back and I will be on a schedule and packing my lunch every day.

Hi, everyone! I'm Ariana and I too will be starting my first Whole 30 this Friday. I had a baby about a month ago, and losing the baby weight is a big motivation for jumping into this program. After having gained 60 lbs during my pregnancy with my first son, I worked so hard for a full year to get that weight off by counting calories and going to the gym 4-5 days per week. My husband and I had also begun carb cycling and that seemed to work for a few months, but I'm not sure that I could maintain that forever.

With this second pregnancy, as much as I wanted to gain less, I added all that baby weight back. This time around, I would like to focus more on the quality of my nutrition intake rather than push myself so hard physically- because now I have 2 boys under 2 yrs and there just isn't time for that! While I don't expect to be back to my pre-baby weight at the end of the month, I am looking forward to hitting the reset button so to speak, and being able to maintain a healthier way of eating. I WILL slay that sugar dragon!

I have also had life-long issues with anxiety and fatigue and while I have never wanted to take medication for this, I would love to see a change in my energy levels instead of suffering in silence.

I am excited for this upcoming challenge and I look forward to hearing about your experiences with it as well! Good luck to everyone!

Hi my name is Rachelle and I'm a 26 year old stay at home mom from Oregon. My husband and I are both starting whole30 on August 1st. I've been searching for something to help jump start a healthier lifestyle for us and I think this will be perfect!

My goals for August are:

1. To gain more energy to keep up with my 9 month old son so I'm not constantly tired

2. To get rid of sugar cravings

3. To see if this helps the anxiety that I've dealt with over the last few years

I'm really excited to start this journey and I can't wait to hear about your experiences as well!

Hi everyone, my name is Samantha, I'm 32, I'm originally from Switzerland but now live in Arizona USA.

I have been 30-40lb overweight my whole adult life.

Since moving to the US, I got married and settled into a more sedentary way of life, plus eating new foods I wasn't used to. I used to walk everywhere back in my country, now I rely on people driving me places. I put on weight again which made me depressed, but I also knew I had to change my habits.

My challenges:

#1- Cutting out dairy will be a big challenge for me as I rely on cottage cheese and greek yogurt to keep me full during the day.

#2- Living with my in-laws (who are of Italian descent) and sticking to the Whole30 plan will be a huge challenge when they are eating pasta & ice cream

#3- Giving up on my evening treat - ice cream :(

My Goals:

#1- Feel less tired at work - I usually start yawning around 1-2 pm and it doesn't stop till I'm home.

#2- Lose some weight

#4- Compare my doctor's low GI diet and this programme and find out which one works best for me, or a combination of both.

Let's do this!! :)

Welcome Hillary, Joyce, Ariana, Rachelle & smtha81.  I'm absolutely stoked that we have so many people starting this plan in August!  I must admit that I'm a wee bit nervous myself. More afraid of failing, but doing all I can to gear up for the 1st.  I feel as if I need to get to the bottom of my health issues.  

Hey Joyce57... you and I have allot in common.  I'm also 57. We have allot of the same interests too. I also love to cook, garden, travel and read, however you lost me at golfing though.  The last time my husband took me golfing, he banned me from the golf course!  I seem to keep finding my "tree wood" in the golf bag!!  LOL!!  Suffice to say it got ugly.  

We also seem to share the same sugar addiction as well.  I came across a neat little video yesterday and posted it on this thread.  You may find it useful in understanding why it's difficult to quit certain habits. I watched it 3 times and took notes.  It really resonated with me.

This video is just so interesting! Thank you for posting. There was a lot to it and I'm going to have to watch it again and maybe take notes like you did, Jenny. In reading through the posts, I am amazed at how many mentioned anxiety and hoping that the Whole30 will help with that. It is certainly a benefit I hope to gain by undertaking these 30 days.

As for the golf, well, my youngest son likes to play and I decided it would be something we could do together. I think I own a "tree wood" but the part I like the best is just being outdoors where it is peaceful.

I'm excited that so many have joined this topic and feel that with the support I can actually follow through for 30 days. I want to make some long-term changes, too, not just for 30 days and then go back to my old habits.

OMG!  I totally needed this support group!  I have planned to start my second Whole30 for the past 2 Mondays and something has come up that has {{allowed}} me to push it back.  Starting on a Friday is so much better for my brain.

I did my first Whole30 in early spring, I loved it.  I really never felt better and while I tried to maintain the approach into my life I have let it slip a little too much {read: eating tons of trail mix…the bad stuff with candy bits}.  

I know for my life I will need to do at least a whole 60, that's the goal this time.

I am a stay at home mom with two littles (2 & 8 months).  Currently my interests are my kids and quilting…and sleeping when I can ;-) 

My greatest challenges are getting my butt to the gym.  I was a gym rat, but since the birth of my youngest I have found it incredibly hard to get there.  

My 3 goals:

1.) Stick to the W30 while limiting my fruits.  I went a little fruit crazy last time and I would like to cut back just a tad.

2.) Work out at least 4 times a week.

3.) No scale…I totally cheated every day last time.  It was so counter productive. 

Hi Anasazi!

Welcome to our group. You're in the right place for sure.  We due to kick off our 30 day challenge on August 1st.  

Curious to know how your first 30 day experience went.  Can you share any lessons learned?   How did it help you?

Hey Everybody!

Here's some info about me...

1) Who you are, your interests

My name is Lori, I'm 57 and live in New Mexico. I like completing long distance races,  half marathons or longer. I also like to hike and swing kettle bells around.

2) Why you are joining the Whole 30

I've been grain-free for a couple years. I can't seem to kick sugar on my own. I need a support system!

3) What your greatest challenges are

I travel almost every week for work. And did I mention I have a very strong attachment with sugar?

4) List at least 3 goals you hope to accomplish during August

Kick sugar to the curb!

Kick sugar to the curb!

Kick sugar to the curb!

I'm looking forward to getting to know everybody  :)

Guest Andria

Bananas and strawberries are allowed on the program.  I wasn't planning on adding anything else.  The difference being I can freeze them ahead of time and run through my dessert bullet to enjoy cold.  Is there a program problem with eating them frozen vs not?  I hadn't seen anything that says contrary. 

Of course bananas ands strawberries are compliant; my impression from your description of the dessert bullet was that it would be blended into a frozen creamy - ice cream like - concoction.  If you read the Whole9 official "Can I have..." page it states that this is SWYPO and not allowed.  If all the dessert bullet does is freeze them and not blend them then yes, of course frozen fruit pieces are allowed.

Paleo Ice Cream (YoNanas): No

This. Is. Ice. Cream. Unlike plain frozen fruit, or fruit blended into ice cubes, the only purpose of this confection is to replicate the taste, texture and reward sensation of ice cream. (Don’t tell us you’d get the same satisfaction from a frozen banana because we call your bluff.) Plus the addition of cocoa, nut butters, nuts, or other fruits to your creamy concoction… this is straight SWYPO, and it’s off-limits during your Whole30.

- See more at: http://whole30.com/2013/06/the-official-can-i-have-guide-to-the-whole30/#sthash.ksqCEYyw.dpuf

Ola!  My name is Jesse.  I'm a small business owner who works from home as Australia's first real estate virtual assistant.  I'm a total geek; love technology and video games and then, as a polar opposite, love nature and gardening.

In August 2012 I completed my first Whole30.  Since then, I've attempted to do it again, but have failed miserably.  I don't understand why it was so easy the first time and now so difficult to do it again.

Anyway, I'm turning 30 in October and I always said I'd be fit and fabulous by the time I was 30.  I think, as my birthday draws closer, I'm more determined than ever to start the Whole30 and see it through, which is why I'm kicking off on the 1st of August.

My greatest challenges this time around will be giving up my thrice daily cafe latte courtesy of my Nespresso machine.  Thinking I might just pack the whole thing away until I've finished my Whole30.  Perhaps in having it out-of-sight I'll be less likely to crave it.

My 3 goals for August are:

1. Drop some weight

2. Kick the smokes

3. Kick the coffee

Doable?  I think so.  I just need to stay motivated and focused on the end game.

Just a reminder to everyone, add notifications to this thread, the emails you get from each of our updates will help remind you that you have a lot of people who are struggling just as you are, and they are here to support as best they can!

Also, does anyone have any special "last meals" planned for the next 2 days before we get this thing rocking on Friday?

Of course bananas ands strawberries are compliant; my impression from your description of the dessert bullet was that it would be blended into a frozen creamy - ice cream like - concoction.  If you read the Whole9 official "Can I have..." page it states that this is SWYPO and not allowed.  If all the dessert bullet does is freeze them and not blend them then yes, of course frozen fruit pieces are allowed.

Paleo Ice Cream (YoNanas): No

This. Is. Ice. Cream. Unlike plain frozen fruit, or fruit blended into ice cubes, the only purpose of this confection is to replicate the taste, texture and reward sensation of ice cream. (Don’t tell us you’d get the same satisfaction from a frozen banana because we call your bluff.) Plus the addition of cocoa, nut butters, nuts, or other fruits to your creamy concoction… this is straight SWYPO, and it’s off-limits during your Whole30.

- See more at: http://whole30.com/2013/06/the-official-can-i-have-guide-to-the-whole30/#sthash.ksqCEYyw.dpuf

I'm going to enjoy every bite!!   :)

I don't really care about the SWYPO.  My reasons for doing this are to find what my body may be allergic or reactive to.  I'm testing for food sensitivities as well as to cut down on processed foods.  If it's on the list, I'm eating it; frozen, cooked, baked or otherwise, but sticking to the allowed foods list only.  

For me that would be a massive food-with-no-brakes, and I do have similar occasionally for a treat, but it wouldn't be good for me for my whole30, either the emotional craving or the sugar. Maybe something similar will be my day 31 reward? (pre-reintroductions as there are no known trigger foods)

Everyone is different though, and I'm glad what you are doing works for you. You go girl!

Edited to add: Great to see how many of us there are, this is going to be an awesome support group

Just a reminder to everyone, add notifications to this thread, the emails you get from each of our updates will help remind you that you have a lot of people who are struggling just as you are, and they are here to support as best they can!

Also, does anyone have any special "last meals" planned for the next 2 days before we get this thing rocking on Friday?

Ohhhh the "last act of defiance meal"!!   I had a chocolate chip cookie today and I'll probably have a hamburger with the bun and a plate of sweet potato french fries the day before.

One main reason for doing this is to clean out my body for 30 days and then add back in wheat, beans, & dairy one food group at a time as the book suggests, so I can test for food reactions. I have hypothyroidism and know that some of these foods can affect the endocrine system.  This will help me to narrow down anything reactive to my system. So it's bye-bye naughty foods for 30 days after Thursday and hello W30 on August 1st.   

I suspect the first week will be "hell week" with the carb and sugar withdrawal, not to mention no dairy, but I'm no sissy! ha!

Hi all,

My name is Holly and I commit to doing the Whole30 the whole 30 days, yikes! I have been gluten and dairy free for some time and "mostly" diligent about it. I used quinoa and rice and potatoes at times and my favorite addiction movie buttered popcorn a couple of times a month. I kept expecting to feel a lot better but have experienced only a marginal improvement. I had heard about Paleo almost ten years ago but it just seemed so restrictive I never bothered to look into it further. Then a few months ago I discovered Melissa Joulwan's cookbook Well Fed and it was a revelation! Since then I have been eating Paleo about 90% of the time and am definitely feeling better but I decided I needed to go all in with a Whole30 to get a real kick start.

I am very happy that this forum exists to help me stay the course! :)

I forgot to add my goals.  I am turning 60 next month (yikes!) so yes I have a few!

• Lose 5-7lbs by 7/13
  • Exercise 4-6 days a week
  • Be diligent about water.  9-12 8 oz. glasses/day
  • Get 8 hours of sleep every night

Ha, I have 2 half-loaves of paleo banana bread in my fridge that need finished by Friday lol, does that count as a 'last meal'?

Jenny, you may find you need to do more than one whole30 to sort out your intolerances, I attempted one a while ago for the same reason as you (I also started paleoifying things near the end), but I found I only managed about three reintroductions before I got sick of the whole process and started allowing little bits of other off-plan foods that I thought I didn't have an issue with, but I did, so all my body signals became really fuzzy. That's one of the main reasons I'm giving this another go

So I'm wondering, should we all agree to check in to this thread at least once a day beginning August 1st?  I saw another section of the forum where we can individually blog our journey. I'm thinking of doing that and posting a link to it here daily.  I'm curious to know if anyone else plans to blog as well? I'd be interested in following your stories.  We can compare battle scars!  ha!  I'm sure at some point I'm going to be cussing out Dallas and Melissa Hartwig, but by day 30 we'll be friends again.   :P

Ha, I have 2 half-loaves of paleo banana bread in my fridge that need finished by Friday lol, does that count as a 'last meal'?

Jenny, you may find you need to do more than one whole30 to sort out your intolerances, I attempted one a while ago for the same reason as you (I also started paleoifying things near the end), but I found I only managed about three reintroductions before I got sick of the whole process and started allowing little bits of other off-plan foods that I thought I didn't have an issue with, but I did, so all my body signals became really fuzzy. That's one of the main reasons I'm giving this another go

Two half-loaves?  Where do you live?  I'll bring the milk!    :lol:

That's what I'm afraid of.  I hope I can stick with this long enough to narrow down whatever insensitivity my body may have.  I'm tired of being tired and sick all the time.  I really think I may have a gluten or dairy intolerance, but I'm not sure at this point.

When you say you "got sick of the whole process", was it due to craving other foods that normally eat?  Or was it something physical?   Why do you think you ended up deviating from your goal?  I'm trying to gain understanding here because I'm reading comments from people who have tried and failed on this plan in the past. I don't want to be one of those statistics. 

I remember years ago when I did the "Fat Flush Plan".. very similar to this one... I stuck with it for about a week before I caved in.  It was tough.  I'm making food preparation in the kitchen this week to help me stay on track, but I'm also trying to gear up mentally as well.  Perhaps you can share some of what you learned.  Have you come up with any strategies to circumvent giving into temptation when you hit a road block?  

We all have to stick together on this one.    B)

The best advice I can give for this is to always plan ahead. If you know your weakness is bread, don't go to a restaurant that gives you bread as a complimentary starter. If your weakness is ice cream, don't follow your usual night out routine of going to a restaurant and then walking past the ice cream place thinking 'that's where I want to be!'

Clear out your house of the foods you crave so that when those cravings do hit you, you have to make a physical effort to fulfil them which gives you time to think about how important this Whole30 is and why it's not worth making an effort to break it. After a while, these things become your new routine and you don't have to make as much of an effort anymore.

Two half-loaves?  Where do you live?  I'll bring the milk!    :lol:

That's what I'm afraid of.  I hope I can stick with this long enough to narrow down whatever insensitivity my body may have.  I'm tired of being tired and sick all the time.  I really think I may have a gluten or dairy intolerance, but I'm not sure at this point.

When you say you "got sick of the whole process", was it due to craving other foods that normally eat?  Or was it something physical?   Why do you think you ended up deviating from your goal?  I'm trying to gain understanding here because I'm reading comments from people who have tried and failed on this plan in the past. I don't want to be one of those statistics. 

I remember years ago when I did the "Fat Flush Plan".. very similar to this one... I stuck with it for about a week before I caved in.  It was tough.  I'm making food preparation in the kitchen this week to help me stay on track, but I'm also trying to gear up mentally as well.  Perhaps you can share some of what you learned.  Have you come up with any strategies to circumvent giving into temptation when you hit a road block?  

We all have to stick together on this one.    B)

Like I said, I got through the 30 days pretty well (only paleo versions of some SAD food) so I was still good to start reintroductions. I had massive stomach cramps for 48 hours with dairy, was crook for a week with gluten, and I started eating things I hadn't been consciously restricting, but weren't the best for me, like onions. My gut and energy just never got back to their whole30 levels of feeling good between reintroductions, and I got scared of the pain, I never got around to reintroducing non-gluten grains, in case it hurts. I've gotten used to mostly not having to run for the toilet, and not feeling like there is a small animal trying to knaw its way out of my gut, and I don't want to go back to that, even though I want to know, If I have to fall off the bandwagon/want a good treat, whats the lesser of the evils?

I wanted the knowledge, but I couldn't take the pain. So I decided to clean up my act again, then try just a couple more. Like I said, this time I'm also focusing more on the emotional side of things

Hi, I live in New Zealand and am starting the whole30.  I've joined the group for moral support and encouragement, hoping that this will help keep me on track.  I don't do grains, dairy or sugar, but am an emotional eater so under stress all the good intensions go out the window.  I have autoimmune disease and so follow the protocol.  Over the last 6 months my eating has been rather bad and I've gained 5kg which I want to lose for summer.

My goals are:

Lose 5kg

Eat 3 meals a day - no snacking

Deal with my emotions in a positive way

Be able to fit into my jeans

Feel good about myself.

Love to hear from you

Archived