Has anyone had symptoms, pain, etc intensify during a Whole30?

I've had some joint pain in the past - nothing big at all - but the last couple days I would wake up with three of my fingers on my left hand totally stiff and sore - I had never experienced this before the Whole30.

I know sometimes as the body is healing there can be an intensifying of symptoms that is actually a good sign of healing. I hear lots of amazing healing stories - but haven't heard this so much. Anyone have that experience?

Thanks!

I found that I got worse bloat, gas and cramps about a week into my last whole30, turns out I can't eat more than half an avocado a day :(

I don't know in your case whether it would be healing, or something you are now getting more of that's not too good for you. I'd hang in there and see what it does in the next couple of days. Best of luck

• 3 weeks later...

I've been having pain in my hips/IBT.  Plus a few years ago I had trouble with my foot.  I was diagnosed with plantar fasciitis and heel spurs.  They haven't bothered me in a couple of years.  Now all the sudden I have foot pains again.  I'm also having some low back pain (dull ache).  Any thoughts on what might be causing this?  This is Day 11 of my first whole 30.  

Something else to rule out is magnesium deficiency, drinking bone broth (meat stock is not enough) or taking a few magnesium tablets can rule this out. Usually this manifests as leg cramps, but some folks feel a more general pain.

Goji berries are also a sneaky nightshade. Some people are also very sensitive to paprika, even if not other nightshades.

Eggs can also be a source of joint pain, especially if grain fed. Some people have trouble only with the white.

Caffeine can be a factor for some as well.

• 1 month later...

Initially I had decreased joint pain and was thrilled. Then I had my joints go into a flare around day 21, and it turned out I had started taking a Raw B12 vitamin with fruits and vegetables added...three of which were nightshades. As soon as I stopped taking them, the extra joint pain went away.

If you're currently not following the AIP, I would suggest giving it a try. I hope your pain goes away soon. :-)

Archived