Day 28 Can not stay asleep for the LIFE of me..

Any suggestions why I can fall asleep around 10:00pm with no problems but wake up every night for 2-3 hours after 4-6 hours of sleep? I feel so so sleep deprived.

Average daily menu is:

Breakfast: Egg with sausage or whole 30 approved bacon, sauerkraut, green beans with onion, tomatoes and half avocado.

Lunch: Chicken or Hamburger with sweet potatoes and half avocado or salad

Dinner: Fish (salmon) or Chicken or Pork with broccoli, peppers and / or butternut squash

I've googled whole 30 and sleep and I've done all the suggestions. 

I have black out curtains, I take calm before I go to bed, II take pure encapsulation w/ vit k which has plenty of magnesium 

I am a runner, I do run 3-6 miles three times a week. Take an evening walk with the dogs, average of 3 miles. 

No stress. Life is good other then not being able to stay asleep. HELP

Guest Andria

Just some thoughts:

I have had this issue before if I don't eat enough starchy carbs throughout the day.  You have them at two meals which is good, but I don't know your quantities. You could try upping the carb at dinner if you have been keeping the portion small (i.e., 1/4 cup).

Also, low salt intake could cause your frequent waking. Be sure you are generously salting your food.  Since we are not eating processed and packages food (high in sodium) while on a Whole30, we need to be sure we are supplemented adequately.

• Moderators

I second what Andria said and also suggest that you just roll with it and try not to stress out about it. How long has this been happening? Could it be a phase? I find my body needs more or less sleep occasionally, but will then settle back into a norm.

Thank you both for your replies. I eat about a cup of starchy veggies when I add them to a  meal, but I will add more for sure. I will definitely keep my salt intake up since I do drink a lot of water. My sleep has been this way for about three weeks. 

I am only on Day 6 and starting on Day 3 my sleep patterns totally changed.  I am an excellent sleeper and always have been.  It drives my husband crazy that my head can hit the pillow and I am out and then I sleep straight through.  Well, now I know how my husband feels!  It takes me up to two hours to fall asleep and then I toss and turn all night.  It is really affecting me as I am so used to a great nights sleep.  I am worried the lack of sleep is going to throw me off the whole30.  I will see if I can find the natural calm and I didn't realize about the salt, I tend to avoid salt due to hypertension but I guess if we aren't really getting any then I need to add it to my meals.

Good luck DelRae, I hope you start sleeping better soon!!

Archived