Not Weighing or Measuring but close....?

LCat

Ok, while I know this is probably just another way of peeling the onion but I've been debating with a friend on this topic.  I am obsessed with weighing myself daily so ditching the scale for 30 days makes me nervous.  Sadly, it ranks right up there with eliminating sugar.  I'm one of those people that need to see progress, even if it's 0.2 of 1lb.  :(

My compromise (and my journey starts Friday Aug 1) has been to pick a pair of my "fit the way I want" shorts and use that as my barometer.  Would you consider that to be not ditching the scale?

Thanks for all thoughts, my new friends!

L

Ha ha, I don't think anyone would check if you tried on your shorts a few times during the 30 days. Progress will be visisble to you in the mirror and in how your clothes fit and who is going to judge you for noticing. However, will you judge yourself? Will it make you more likely to quit if you don't lose X lbs/inches/short sizes? What would happen if you tried to focus on goals besides losing weight for a month?

Because I think one of the most important parts of doing a whole30 is getting out of a mindset where our bodies are these annoying, uncooperative fat/sick/allergic/ugly objects that carry our brains. This is not about me getting a beach body. This is about me making peace with the body I have. It will not be Kate Moss staring back at me at the end of my 30 days, it will be a healthier version of ME and I am worthy of love and respect at any size. Letting go of the scale can be incredibly freeing. Maybe your shorts will fit differently, or maybe you will just have more energy, sleep better and feel healthier. Not a bad outcome, eh? :)

Honestly, the freedom you will achieve by ditching the scale is unbelievable! Please trust the process, it will amaze you in ways that have nothing to do with weight. But you will notice that your current wardrobe is fitting better as the inflammation goes away. I, myself, am more proud of overcoming my sugar addiction and new found appreciation for fueling my body with healthy food than the pounds that I lost. I am wishing you all the best. If I, a grande latte, gummy bear eating, 57 yr old. sugar addict can do it, anyone can!

I am a scale addict myself. I did not ditch the scale on my first Whole 30 over a year ago and I watched the weight drop off. I think I was lucky. I fell off the wagon a few months ago and am doing a Whole 30 (probably longer) as a reset. I did give in once to the scale after a week and I actually gained weight, my clothes were also tighter. I had to work really hard to not give up and focus on how much better I was feeling because I wanted to lose weight so badly. I realized I'm hurting myself because the focus on body image leads to negative self talk for me, The point of a Whole 30 is to nourish yourself and I was counteracting everything I did with food by being negative about my body. It is really up to you and what you feel will motivate you but be ready for things not to go the way you imagine and have a plan to be okay with it. How else can you measure your success?

Thank you all for the feedback.  Yesterday was my Day 1 and it went well.  I successfully found my scale a new home, even if it was the verrrrrrry back of my closet.  Out of sight, out of mind.  

Tina - Thanks for the article link.  Those results were amazing! and the article really opened my eyes.  I always knew muscle weighed more but it was helpful to see such a transformation.  Again, thank you and AMAZING!

Archived