Day25 great but....

soon50

I'm on day 25. I feel great, I w/o w loads of energy, clothes are getting a little looser, food I'm eating is all on program, but this morning and actually the last couple days I've had a slight problem with all the cooking and prep work!

It's feels that all I'm doing is cooking or even preparing the food. I think I just need or want to go to a restaurant but with the limitations at the present time I just don't so i come home and eat properly. Does anybody else have this same thoughts?

Just a quick clarification, I do like this program and I eatba variety of foods, its not that I'm bored with what I'm eating, I'm cooking Sundays for the rest of the week. I'm used to going out to eat maybe once a week even just for a salad and a veggie burger on this side (for a relaxing night out). I think I'm missing that time out/away.

That's my rant for today :)

I understand your rant.  Mine are in other places, but I'm doing well and they are just rants (day 22).

However, I don't think that it says anywhere that you can't go out to a restaurant.  Try to find a steakhouse where you feel safe in telling them to hold the butter, oils or marinades they might use, order a nice big salad or side of steamed veggies and take your own salad dressing that you've been using.  I'd also pack in my own olives or cashews and discretely add them to my plate.

Sometimes you just gotta get that emotional break out, but there are ways to stay inbounds.

Good luck!

That has honestly been my biggest frustration when doing a Whole30. I feel your pain!

I have to balance the "I just want to socialize/someone else to cook my food!" with the "but the salad with grilled meat I'll get at a restaurant after asking one million questions won't be nearly as good as the ______ I have at home." You might have more options depending on your area: I have a couple of go-to places in town where I can get something pretty good (my local burrito place, for example, makes an awesome brisket that I get on a salad with guac, using salsa for dressing; my favorite burger place also does a killer kale salad that I put a burger patty on top of). But I live in a large town with tons of local restaurants that care about fresh ingredients. In a smaller town, it would be a lot harder. And even here, it does severely limit your options when you have to ask about sugars, oils, surprise gluten and dairy, etc.

Either way, you're almost done!! Doing a strong reintro will add some time, but it could be an opportunity to test out that latte or corn chips or whatever you've been missing. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Isn't it crazy?!  I feel I'm always chopping, cooking, prepping or reseaching recipes for the the next meal...My husband and I are doing this for 60 days (on day 18).  If you've read Well Fed, it truly does help to cook plenty of proteins ahead of time.  I'm on a cauliflower rice and spaghetti squash kick so I try to prep that way ahead too.  I always have chopped onions and peppers in a tupperware. 

I was whining to my husband the other day about all the meals that I've cooked to date (we haven't eaten out once...too much of a trigger...besides our extra money is going to better meats/produce).  It hit me...DUH this is what our ancestors did... COOK! :lol:   I'm so used to: "The kids are driving me nuts, I'm just gonna pick up a pizza." OR "While we are at Costco, let's just get some hot dogs for lunch"...

This whole deal has been eye opening for sure!

Do you have a slow cooker?  That almost feels as if someone else is cooking for you, when you come in and there's a hot meal waiting for you  :)

I do most of the cooking in the house, so completely understand where you're coming from.  I was chuffed to find frozen burgers in the freezer this morning that I'd made a few weeks ago - It feels different than the cooking on the weekend for the rest of the week.

I definitely make a lot more simple meals (just meat & veg/salad) than I did when I first started eating Whole 30.  If you live with anyone else. get them to help you with the cooking.... at least that can change it up a bit and relieve some of the pressure.  Or if not, invite some friends round and cook a meal together.  

For awhile I felt like all I was doing was cooking.  But then I realized I'm just cooking at different times than I used to.  Instead of cooking each night, I now cook a lot on sunday and then a little bit during the week.  It's actually working out well especially on nights when we have after school/work activities.  If I cook ahead of time, we have something healthy to eat instead of getting fast food.

I guess part of why I say it works well is because I can't see myself eating fast food anymore!  So that isn't an option.

Archived