What spices can you not live without?

birder

What are your favorite spices to cook with?

I love Garam Masala, ginger, cumin, Penzy's Chili 3000(my favorite on eggs), Viatnamese cinnamon and nutmeg. I've also been using a lot of dill weed this summer (new favorite is roasting almonds with it for a salad topping). I'm placing another Penzy's order and trying to figure out what else I may want.

• Moderators

Their Parisien Bonnes Herbes and their Sunny Paris are both nice with eggs or chicken, and either makes a nice ranch-like dressing mixed with some homemade mayo. They're very similar, I don't think you'd need both, I just was in the store and couldn't decide so I ended up with a small jar of each. Sunny Paris was a little more expensive, but I liked it a little better, although I'm not sure what made me prefer it.

• Moderators

Love Penzey's!

Fox Point is brilliant on eggs or mixed with homemade mayo for veggie dip. Adobo is my favorite for chicken. Turkish is great on all meats. Love their Chesapeake Bay for seafood. Their maharajah curry is stupendous and Tuscan Sunset is hands down the best Italian blend I've found anywhere.

There's another thread on the forum from a few months ago all about Penzey's and people's faves if you want to search for it. Do be careful, though, and always check the ingredients even if someone here has said it's compliant. Nearly all of the salad dressing bases, for example, contain sugar.

Archived