wheat-free-kitchen twin mom journal

Decided I didn't want to wait until Aug 1st so we started today.

Day 1...7/29/2014

Breakfast:  scrambled eggs in coconut oil with a peach

Lunch:  cucumbers, ground turkey with homemade taco spices including chili powder, paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, and cumin.  ate a walnut for the healthy fat.

Dinner:  lettuce, cucumber, bean sprouts, grilled chicken in coconut oil, drizzled with red wine vinegar

Snack:  handful of walnuts

Start:  154.5 pounds, 33 inch waist, 37 inch hips.  pushed scale way under sink so I wouldn't weigh in again until the 30 days are up

Mood:  snappy.  weepy at 3pm.  really, really wanted to buy the cheese curds at the grocery store today but didnt'

Twins:  diaper blow out at 5pm.  is it the eggs?  or are they just detoxing?

• Moderators

I don't see anything about your meals that offers a good explanation for a diaper blow out. 

Detoxing is an over-hyped concept that is used to explain lots of symptoms that probably have nothing to do with detoxing. The truth is that we cannot explain lots of things that happen and we don't need to figure them out unless they happen repeatedly. 

Good for you getting some veggies into your day 2 breakfast. 

Walnuts are rated highly in some parts of the Paleo world, but not in Whole30-land because they deliver a relatively high dose of omega 6 fatty acids. Most of us already get an excess of omega 6 fatty acids in our diet. What we need is to eat less omega 6s and more omega 3 fatty acids. Nuts that are lower in omega 6s are generally favored in the Whole30 - macadamias, cashews, hazelnuts.

Thanks for the suggestions on the nuts!

Our twins have had bowel issues since about age 1...they are only 2 years old now.  Was changing diarrhea diapers about a dozen times a day times two babies.  Researching led me to Dr Davis Wheat Belly book where we dropped wheat and noticed significant improvements.  Twins still have a few bowel issues so we're hoping to figure more things out with Whole30. 

Day 2...7/30/2014

Breakfast:  scrambled eggs in coconut oil topped with a green pepper and onions with a banana

Lunch:  diced sweet potatoes and diced red potatoes cooked in organic coconut oil.  needed some protein so I added a handful of walnuts sprinkled on top.  (I now see Tom suggests other nuts instead so I'll go shopping for macadamias, cashews, and hazelnuts instead).  Also ate some homemade pickles from the garden.

Snack at 3pm:  peach

Dinner:  Not hungry for dinner.  Have so much energy that I'm up past midnight and am finally hungry.  Just gonna go to bed and eat a big breakfast when I get up.

Body:  definitely noticing a difference that my belly is flatter already.  My legs also seem less puffy too.  

Mood:  good

Twins:  both had really nice solid poos in the toilet this morning!  This afternoon's poo was mush for one of the twins.  Twins belly's are not as firm and bloated as they usually are

I'm seeing a pattern, so I feel like I better chime in: nuts are not a meaningful source of protein. They are a fat source. You need protein at each of your meals, it's true, but you should work on getting it from meat, fish, eggs, etc. Save the nuts for a garnish, if you have them (some people find them to irritate digestion and some people have trouble limiting consumption of nuts "food with no brakes", so they exclude them from their program).

While I'm here, I would also strongly recommend you try to get into a pattern of three meals each day if you can (keep these about the same time each day). It really does make a difference for balancing hormones, etc.

Good luck! So happy to hear the twins' bloating is subsiding.

Day 3 7/31/2014

Needed to grocery shop yesterday but didn't so just eating what's in the house in the morning

Breakfast:  peach and leftover potatoes cooked in coconut oil

9am Snack:  cucumber from the garden

Lunch:  BLT Salad...big pile of lettuce, tomato, Oscar Mayer uncured nitrite free bacon, avocado, plum

Dinner:  chicken, grapes, raw green beans, raw kalorabi

Snack:  family was eating popcorn so I grabbed a handful of cashews and pistachios instead

Body:  flatter tummy

Mood:  great

Twins:  solid poo in the toilet!  YEAH!!!  Took our 2-year old twins to a 7:30pm music concert...their behavior was just amazing...very calm and relaxed for the full hour of sitting quietly.

Lesson:  Thank you miss mary for pointing out to plan for only 3 meals a day and skip the snacking.  I also need to eat a meat/egg protein at every meal.  I really appreciate the moderator comments...it is very helpful!

Lesson:  Thank you miss mary for pointing out to plan for only 3 meals a day and skip the snacking.  

Ha! I was trying to tell you not to skip dinner! 3 meals a day should be your minimum/goal/ideal.

ps. Did you check for sugar in that bacon? I've never seen one from Oscar Meyer that didn't have some...

So snacking is okay as long as I get in my breakfast, lunch, dinner?  I usually like a little snack at 9am and 3pm.  I'm trying hard not to graze.

You're right...the Oscar Meyer bacon did have sugar in it...I was just so excited to find the uncured nitrite free bacon.  What bacon have you found that works?

So snacking is okay as long as I get in my breakfast, lunch, dinner?  I usually like a little snack at 9am and 3pm.  I'm trying hard not to graze.

You're right...the Oscar Meyer bacon did have sugar in it...I was just so excited to find the uncured nitrite free bacon.  What bacon have you found that works?

Three meals is the sweet spot if you can make it work. It is good to give your body time to digest. We generally suggest if you are not able to get from one meal to the next without snacking, that you should try to bulk up your meals. THAT SAID, if you are hungry (hungry, not just in the habit of eating), then you can have a balanced "mini-meal" consisting of protein, fat and carbs. 

I've never found compliant bacon at a store, so I skip it during the whole30. US Wellness makes one you can mailorder, and some WholeFoods around the country have some (mine doesn't).

Day 4 8/1/2014

Bfast:  2 scrambled eggs in coconut oil with sauteed onion, green pepper, and tomato with a handful of blueberries

Twins had 3 solid poos this morning!  Yippee!

12pm Lunch:  chicken cooked in coconut oil, broccoli with olive oil, grapes

bits of random leftovers the twins ate:  lettuce, green onion, black olives, homemade pickles

I also had a handful of cashews

Twins and I all had mushy wet greasy bowels...ugh...probably that can of tomato sauce I added to a few bites of chicken...I thought the ingredient list looked okay...what do you think?

tomato sauce ingredients:  tomato puree (water, tomato paste), less than 2% of salt, onion powder, garlic powder, citric acid, natural flavors, dehydrated bell pepper

2:45pm Snack:  handful of cashews and apple

Dinner

Not sure about what to do for dinner today...we are picking up our teens from band camp and we usually go out of dinner at Culvers.  Any suggestions on alternatives?

Ended up leaving the house at 4pm and coming home at 9pm.  Family got a drink at Culvers prior to concert as no one was hungry.  I just had a glass of water and twins ate a plain burger with no bun over lettuce.

When we go home, I cooked up a quick taco salad that we ate late at 9:30pm.  Lettuce, beef with our own seasonings, tomatoes, avocado, black olives.

Body:  twins stroller felt very HEAVY this morning.  Felt agitated in afternoon.  Found a dozen white pimples on my forehead in the morning.

Day 5 8/2/2014

8am  Woke up tired and weepy and irritated.  Dry eyes, left knee ached, lower back ached.  Bloated.  Found some large brown spots on my cheeks.  Just don't feel vibrant today.  Ick.

9am  Breakfast of 2 scrambled eggs in organic coconut oil with sauteed onions and tomatoes.  Blueberries.

12pm  Hard boiled egg, grapes, cucumbers, carrot, cashews

3pm  Twin Asher...another wet mushy diaper at nap and Twin Rylan had a beautiful solid stool.  Wonder what they ate different as they usually have similar foods and similar stools.

4pm  Hot organic peppermint tea...on a date with my hubby at the local coffee shop.  Starting to feel better.

6pm  Planning baked chicken, baked sweet potatoes fries, and cauliflower with olive oil.  Chicken is marinating in olive oil, garlic, salt, pepper, and fresh lemon juice.  Sweet potatoes are cut up in the fridge with the skins on with olive oil and salt waiting to be baked.

9pm  Twin Rylan had a second beautiful solid stool in the toilet!

Day 6 8/3/2014 Plan

8am Breakfast:  3 overeasy eggs with coconut oil and oregano, sauteed onions, tomatoes, and cooked arugula and a Georgia peach

12pm Lunch:  leftover baked chicken, hardboiled egg, celery, onion, red grapes, and avocado all mixed and chopped in a bowl over raw arugula leaves with green olives

6pm Dinner:  ground beef burgers with no bun of course, and roasted potatoes and sweet potatoes and olive oil (veggies are already prepped in the fridge and ready to bake at 5pm), along with broccoli and carrots with olive olive oil

So that's my plan for tomorrow...what would you do to make these meals better?

Thanks!

Tracey

www.wheat-free-kitchen.com

Ah, a challenge!

Breakfast:  at the end of the sautee, add some basil leaves and just let them wilt a little bit.

Dinner:  homemade mayo and bacon slices with sauteed onion on the burger.  Or sliced avocado and sprouts on the burger.  A sprinkle of thyme on the potatoes before cooking.

Karen has give you some ides to make these meals taste better, so I'll go with the nutrition approach:

At breakfast, more protein. A serving of eggs should be as many as you can hold in one hand, so 3 to 4 for most people. If that many eggs doesn't appeal to you, adding a side of some other protein works well. The basil is a nice idea and/or a big handful of spinach. I'm not seeing many leafy greens today.

lunch seems a little light on veggies (just celery and onion), if I were making a chicken salad like that I might add chopped up bell peppers (red and orange), or serve it on some baby greens.

Potatoes and Sweet potatoes both hit the "starchy veggie" note, which is great for an evening meal, but I would try to have another veg with that meal--again, something green. Maybe broccoli? kids like broccoli, right?  ;)

I hope you are feeling better and today goes well for you. Thanks for asking!

Thank you both so much for your ideas!

Miss Mary...you are right...I don't think I eat enough protein and leafy greens.  I will definitely pay more attention to that with my meals.  Good idea to bulk up on more veggies too.  Last night before dinner I was famished and could not wait for the meal to be finished baking.

You are right Karen...thanks for suggesting to review the timeline.  I was also super super tired yesterday...just didn't wanna do anything tired...in bed by 8pm tired.  Guess I'm right on target with the timeline.

I am feeling better today...less bloated and less tired!  

No stools yet today for the twins...grateful since I feel they have a poo at every diaper change time.  Hoping this is a change for the better.

Day 7

8/4/2014

8am Breakfast:

3 over easy eggs with sauteed onions and arugula in coconut oil.  

Twins had scrambled eggs with the sauteed onions and arugula in coconut oil along with a banana, half a plum, and half an apple

12pm  Lunch

chicken, cucumbers, tomatoes, carrots, watermelon, a few pieces of grapefruit (six of us shared one), avocado.

Plus a bit of leftover chicken salad from yesterday for mom

5pm  Dinner

ground beef with carrots, potatoes, onions sauteed together in coconut oil

9pm Snack for Mom

warmed peach with chopped pecans on top

Day 7, 8/4/2014

I am feeling balanced today, but I'm still have issues with our two-year old twin boys.

4pm  both twins had another mushy poo blowout.  any suggestions on what foods to give them or not give them to firm them up?  

This is my one goal for our little boys for the whole30 process.

any suggestions on what foods to give them or not give them to firm them up?  

This is my one goal for our little boys for the whole30 process.

Try try try to remember that this is a 30 day program not a 7 day program. Some thing just take time. That said, quick transit time and mushy stools might be related to low gut bacteria. Are they taking probiotics? If not, you might add some probiotic supplements or (even better) probiotic foods (like naturally fermented/non-pasturized sauerkraut, kombucha or water keifer) to the mix. Be aware that this could make things worse before they are better, so take it slow on the portions.

You are right...I need to be patient!  I just keep thinking I'm still not feeding them correctly.  

We have tried probiotics in the past, probably three months worth, with no big changes in stools.  I'd prefer to try the probiotic foods that you suggest. Do you have a good resource for making these?

Day 8, 8/5/2014

8am Breakfast:  3 overeasy eggs, black olives (oops...forgot my veggies...meant to grab something and got distracted)

1pm Lunch:  watermelon, cucumber, homemade german potato salad with bacon minus the flour and sugar, almonds and raisins

twins ate watermelon, cucumber, and leftover dinner of beef, carrots, potatoes

Twin Asher's poo was part solid and part mush...making progress.

Twin Rylan has not had a bowel yet today

Mom is feeling good.  Noticing my shorts are looser.

6pm Dinner:  leftover german potato salad and can't remember what else

Day 9, 8/6/2014...didn't journal...let's see what I remember about yesterday...

B: 3 eggs with coconut oil, yellow and green pepper, fruit

L:  sirloin tip steak, broccoli, raw carrot, black olives

D:  chicken cooked with oranges and coconut oil, lettuce, tomatoes, cukes, olive oil

S:  almonds and raisins

Morning:  Twin Rylan had the most beautiful solid poo I think he's ever made!  Yippee!!!

3pm  Twin Asher had the worst diaper blowout with mushy poo everywhere.  Booo!

Mom:  feeling good...not tired like I've been feeling

Archived