Frustration with digestive enzymes and probiotics research

debgm123

I am on day 3. I have read the links about whole 30 supplements, enzymes and probiotics but that hasn't helped. I am taking a digestive enzyme because I have acid reflux and don't want to take prescriptions. I also want a probiotic because of ibd but really don't like any of the foods that have been suggested to eat instead of a probiotic. I work full time like many on here and already spend each night planning meals, researching meals enjoying time with my family and don't have time to research to find the best brand. Everything I see has something that seems to be a problem. The enzyme I was on had milk ingredients and the probiotic had soy lecithin and lactoferrin (milk). Not sure if I need to start over or not. I am attaching the label of an enzyme I found but then saw it has rice bran. I am also attaching the label of the probiotic. I think it is ok but who knows. I really need some help on a compliant enzyme if there is such a thing and thoughts on this probiotic. The digestive enzyme is Jarro-Zymes vegetarian plus and probiotic is ultimate flora extra care daily probiotic 30 billion live cultures(delayed release vegetarian capsules. If the pics don't come out you can probably google both.

On a positive note I am very excited about this journey and looking forward to positive life changing eating habits!!

post-49273-0-01399300-1406749294_thumb.j

post-49273-0-14044100-1406749316_thumb.j

Guest Andria

I believe the book, It Starts With Food, and some moderators here use/recommend NOW brand Super Enzymes.  BUT, you still need to check the label, because I found that the NOW Super Enzymes sold at "my" supplement store contained lactose. Others did not have this problem.

I use Enzymedica Diget Gold, it does not have any non-compliant ingredients. Again, check your labels, regardless what I or someone else tells you. The probiotic I use is Mega Food MegaFlora, which I really like. I find I get great results if I take 1-2 before bedtime (i.e., morning bathroom time is more productive, if you know what I mean  ;) ).

ETA: your enzymes are a definitive 'no' d/t the rice bran. The probiotic looks okay, but I prefer if the label actually states "No wheat, dairy, soy" etc.  Otherwise you don't know where the bacteria were derived from (i.e. dairy cultures?).

NOW enzymes now have sulfites and are therefore out.  (grrr)

I empathize with your difficulties.  It's maddening to spend so much time reading those little teeeeeeny ingredients lists on the bottles!!  Here's hoping you find something good in your local area.  (Or on amazon)

Is there a frequent problem with digestion on whole30?  I am on day 13 and had to take a laxative yesterday.

It is normal to have digestive issues when you radically change the way you are eating. For most people it is just a matter of time as their body adjusts to more vegetable fiber or more fat or more protein than they were used to eating before.

Rather than resorting to laxatives, you might try drinking more water, eating sweet potatoes, taking a magnesium supplement or doing some gentle yoga twisting/stretching. 

Archived