Reflux, Antibiotics & h. pylori

I'm on day 26 of my W30. I started this program after a recent endoscopy that revealed a hiatal hernia and reflux. In addition to that, I developed asthmatic symptoms. My doctor put me on omeprazole and an inhaler. To make matters worse, late last year I developed dermagraphism and have to take a daily antihistamine to keep from breaking out in hives. I went through all sorts of allergy tests, and reacted to so many various things that it was difficult to pinpoint. A week or so before starting my W30, I went back to my allergist, who was very puzzled about all these various symptoms, so he did a blood test that came back positive for H. Pylori, which can be a cause of all these things, so they put me on a heavy dose of antibiotics which I'm not really a fan of.

I'm having a hard time because I am starting to feel better and I don't know if it's the result of eliminating so many foods, or the medications. Perhaps it's a combo, but I am no longer having the reflux issues (occasional heartburn, trouble swallowing) and my skin flare-ups seem to be minimal. I am trying to see if I can now go off the antihistamine and I was able to stop the inhaler which was great. Docs want me to stay on the other meds for another week. I know that sugar and grains feed the H. Pylori, so will continue to avoid those after I finish the program. I read that antibiotics sometimes don't work for H. Pylori, and that proton pump inhibitors can cause issues too. Wondering if there are natural remedies aside from food elimination?

• 2 weeks later...

I have experienced cessation of all reflux symptoms by sticking to a paleo diet (NO MEDS). I notice that I will get reflux if I add in too many sugars even in the form of fruit, and caffeine, including chocolate, is an immediate trigger. 

I tested positive for h pylori in the form of a breath test but after endoscopy etc it was all negative. 

Could it be worth a second opinion for you? 

I definitely don't think you should get on proton pump inhibitors if you are feeling so good. 

Antibiotics are more likely to feed the reflux than alleviate because the yeasts in your digestive system will overgrow and that in itself can cause heartburn. Are you taking a good pro biotic? 

Have a look at this link on Earth Clinic for natural H pylori cures. 

http://www.earthclinic.com/cures/h-pylori-alternative-medicine.html

• 4 months later...

I have GERD or at least that is what I thought. Now I'm reading stuff by Chris Kresser that would lead me to believe that I actually have low stomach acid and the Prilosec and over the counter acid reflux meds are making it worse. I'm trying the HCL w/Pepsin capsules and I'm up to two with every meal. Problem is I feel acid in the bottom of my throat, 24-7 and it's making me nuts, interrupting my sleep, etc. Any suggestions?

In addition to avoiding liquids with meals, avoid them before and after. Does this happen every time you eat or can you identify some triggers? I've been slowly working through what triggers heart burn for me and it has helped a lot. Another thing I've found helpful in relieving symptoms is a Tbs of raw apple cider vinegar in cold water. I have to chug it to get it down but it usually helps me. Your mileage may vary. It may take a while for the changes you are making to start healing you especially if you have been using anti-acids a lot. Hang in there!

Archived