Advice for lightheaded/dizziness and being a whiny B****

Our family is on day 24 and the kids and I have been doing great, but I'm about to kill my husband. He's 37, 6' 2", 160 lbs. What I like to call "skinny fat". He works 9-5 at a desk and doesn't exercise at all. He begrudgingly agreed to do a whole30 with me since I do all the grocery shopping and prepare all the meals. He's been having persistent light-headed/dizziness and has headaches in the morning sometimes. He has been so ready to give up, but he's persisted because of me. He's also convinced that he will feel better when he's not on the diet, but has no response when I try figure out what he thinks he's missing. Sorry, babe, a 6-pack and a pizza are not going to make you feel better! I've searched all over this forum and other sites for troubleshooting advice. I'm trying to make sure he's getting enough salt, he's well hydrated, and he's eating enough fat and carbs, but the problem persists. I'm about to stop offering encouraging words and just tell him to man up. But, I know that's not helpful.

I guess my questions are: Is there some other deficiency that could be causing this or something I'm missing? He has other symptoms that make me wonder if there is something up with his blood pressure. Should I just say screw it and let him give up? He does not seem to care about his health much at all and I keep thinking of the old saying "You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink". I've relayed everything I found re: his lightheadedness and he hasn't seemed to take any of it into his own hands, he's just whining until he can drink beer again. SO FRUSTRATING!!

On a lighter note, I've been pleasantly surprised at how much delicious food I've prepared. My 4yo's excema has lightened up, my 2yo is suddenly having firm bowel movements. I haven't had too many crazy cravings, feel like I've lost a small amount of weight, and have slightly more energy. No tiger blood, but would like to continue eating this way exclusively at home because I know it's better for us. My husband just about fell out of his chair when I said that and asked that we take it one step at a time.

• Moderators

My best guess re: the light headedness is that he's not eating enough period, but given the ED, maybe it would be worth checking into the blood pressure sitch.

As for the whining and lack of desire to continue, well, he's a grown up and gets to decide for himself how he wants to live. It seems to me, though, that if you're in charge of shopping, cooking and feeding the family, you get to prepare what you think is best. He can stray or supplement as he sees fit and provides for himself.

why are you so sure he is eating enough fat and carbs? Lots of times people underestimate the amount of sugar they take in from "non-food" or "non-meal" sources. Once you take those away you need to eat a LOT of whole food to make up the difference...maybe post some info on a few typical day's of whole30 food for him for our review? We might be able to get him feeling better, which would mean he is much more likely to continue.

I can say how much he eats at work for lunch, but a typical breakfast for us would be like today: 1/4lb turkey chorizo, 1.5 eggs, 1/2 C. spinach (cooked), 1 C. roasted sweet potatoes in coconut oil, 1/2 C. canteloupe and coffee with a "creamer" made from coconut milk, egg, and coconut oil. For dinner, he might have 1/3 roast chicken (white and dark meat) 2C. vegetables such as broccoli, squash, and 1/2 avocado. 

He says he gets tired of eating and he doesn't always finish the meals that I make. I've told him to snack away and discussed what would be best to snack on, if he feels like that's what his body needs. He doesn't like salmon, mayonnaise, or olives, so no, I'm not sure he's getting enough fat. I cook with beef tallow, avocado oil, coconut oil, and ghee to try and sneak it in there.

I was walking around outside, thinking about strategies.  I have to side with LadyM, you can't force anyone....especially a mate.

A man convinced against his own will is of the same opinion still.   

Sometimes you have to wait for the right timing.  That's a gift and it can be cultivated.

Archived