Wholly Awesome!

Derval

I can't rem the well fed one all that well but it was definitely tasty.

Maybe you're right about the protein, thanks.

Only 1 cup of bone broth left :( will have to do my slow cooker leg of lamb again soon, that's what this batch is from and it's delicious.

Picked up a lovely piece of pork belly on the bone for tomorrow. Going to slow cook it in oven all day :)

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow I am so impressed with your jumping and Crossfitting. I think if I jumped up on a box like that my knee would go out to the side and I'd have to be carried out. 

Also envious that you can have the oven on all day!  I know it's supposed to be cool in Ireland in the summer but that is totally incomprehensible to me right now. (Have an Irish friend who spends the summer with her kids and mom out in the country. I get so jealous when she talks about the weather.) When I so much as boil water in my kitchen in the summer I start sweating. Bone broth and leg of lamb sounds so delicious to me now. I'm mostly over salads (except with the smoked trout--good every time) but it's all I can bring myself to prepare. 

Happy 4-0! I hit that in June. (Not the right phrase.) You look amazing in that first photo.

Thanks for kind words :)

Yes the monetary incentive of pact is good for keeping you on track even it's a pita taking pics. And don't get me started on the voting, I keep out of it because what some people submit as a portion of fruit/veg is laughable - I swear some sleeping ces of mushroom on a pizza!!! And I hate downvoting anyone so I rarely vote at all.

Yes I would not be able to cope with high temps at all but dry would be good. Mostly this Summer the weather has been very nice.

Day 4

9.15am! Yep we slept late. Dh & ds were stewarding at a race and woke us up clattering around the place at 6.30am, so dd came in to my bed and we had a lovely snuggly sleep till 9 :)

Breakfast was same as yesterday - scrambled eggs (3) with mushrooms & spring onion, beetroot dip and cherry tomatoes

11.30am - cm coffee

Busy morning, felt very industrious - got the slowcooker going with a vat of chicken broth, and cooked egg loaf - it was just so much more economic than the meat quiche Lady M - 8 portions = 10 eggs, 1 pack of minced pork, baby spinach, red pepper, red onion, mushrooms, sweet potato, 1 wangy zunchinni. I wonder what would make a nice side to this? half an avo maybe.

post-22-14071713238757_thumb.jpg

Lunch was leftovers from last nights dinner - chicken, carrots, potatoes, cabbage - added some spinach & had ranch dressing over the top. Tasty!

post-22-14071712946174_thumb.jpg

Maybe too industrious earlier as I felt absolutely wiped after lunch. Had cm coffee & a small banana to try pep me up, but got distracted whilst eating banana so didn't even enjoy it :wacko: God you'd swear a banana was a box of Lindt truffles!

A walk & a little lie-down made me feel better & well enough to do the hoovering - trying to stick to this 4 weeks to a more organised home schedule & vacuuming was one of my jobs for today. I got the kids to do the assigned 10 minute pick up :)

Had this baby roasting all day, yum!

post-22-1407171372694_thumb.jpg

Had it with roasted veg (in same pan) few baby potatoes, carrots, garlic, onion, celery. Blitzed up the leftover veg for gravy but after dinner, oops, will freeze gravy for another time. Had some coleslaw too.

post-22-14071713516125_thumb.jpg

Now to tackle the mountain of washing-up all this cooking has created, oy vay! :wacko:

• Moderators

Lovely looking food and lovely sounding lie in!

I don't blame you on the meat quiche, but are you sure 10 eggs+mince=8 portions of protein if a minimum protein portion is either 3 eggs or 1/4 lb mince? Just checking. I'd call it 6 portions and then forego the side, but that's just me.

I'm with you on the bananas and washing up. I wanted a banana at the co-op today but bypassed it as an unnecessary "treat." I laugh at my former self and her "unlimited fruit" habit. And the incessant washing up is my least favorite part about eating this way. But what are you going to do?

Oh a dishwasher would be lovely....But our kitchen doesn't have the space/plumbing to have a washing machine *and* dishwasher, so I'd rather wash dishes by hand than clothes!

Re the egg loaf, it - works out at 1.25 eggs plus half a portion of meat, so maybe 2.5 eggs worth? close enough. I was counting the eggs to make sure there was enought to do us till the eggman cometh on Friday :)

In other news the tv remote stopped working last week & tonight the tv itself wouldn't work. Dh couldn't fix it so when he was out on his run I fixed both!! Ha! Nothing like the prospect of 4 more weeks of school holidays with no tv to motivate a gal.

I have also booked my week 1 treat (ha any excuse), going in to town on Friday , meeting a friend for luch at http://www.honesttogoodness.ie/ and then going for a look in www.cosstores.com and then a facial :wub: 

10519267_911350038881792_684259818439409

I am coming to your house for dinner!

Can I have the egg loaf recipe please?

I had to take a nap today too :(

You say it like naps are a bad thing :D No you cannot come to dinner, becuase that would mean giving me my leftovers!!! :lol:

Egg loaf - just fry up a pack of pork mince with some of Well fed sausage season, throw in various veg - I grate sweet potato, everythings else can be chopped. Wilt it all down a bit. Beat your eggs. 30 or so to keep LadyM happy ;) , add to pot and then pour the lot in to a paper lined deep tin. Cook for about 30mins at gas5 or equiv.

Read this on a FB page I follow, made me nervous & doubt myself, feck is she right?...am I eating too much? I really want to actually lose weight, I have no health complaints that I need W30 to fix, my (albeit small) surplus poundage is my only "issue". So now I am fighting the urge to get the scales out to see if I've lost anything!

Argggh.

The quality of your food determines your health. The quantity of your food determines fat loss. If fat loss is your goal, then the QUANTITY of food trumps the quality of food. While the Paleo diet and "clean" eating promote quality healthy food, eating endless amounts of it will still make you fat!

The quality of your food determines your health. The quantity of your food determines fat loss. If fat loss is your goal, then the QUANTITY of food trumps the quality of food. While the Paleo diet and "clean" eating promote quality healthy food, eating endless amounts of it will still make you fat!

Whaaa? This was on the whole9 facebook, really? If so, I would take it to mean "you can't gorge yourself on paleo foods and still expect to lose" not "restrict, restrict, restrict!". Restricting and going hungry has never worked for me. Focusing on food quality with moderate/still satiating quantity has worked. FWIW n=1

• Moderators

I think you've got your portions in check. You don't eat "endless amounts." Don't get on the scale, please. It hasn't even been a week! And given your size, body comp, and activity level and type, I'm guessing the changes/gains you'll experience will be further body comp tweaks rather than a big drop on the scale.

I believe it's true that this way of eating balances the old hormones and creates a calorie deficit while providing terrific nourishment. That's its brilliance and why it's effective. Can you overeat while on a W30? Absolutely. But unlikely. And based on your log and photos, I don't think you're overeating!

Whaaa? This was on the whole9 facebook, really? If so, I would take it to mean "you can't gorge yourself on paleo foods and still expect to lose" not "restrict, restrict, restrict!". Restricting and going hungry has never worked for me. Focusing on food quality with moderate/still satiating quantity has worked. FWIW n=1

No, no , not on Whole9 fb page, a nutritionists page I follow.

I think you've got your portions in check. You don't eat "endless amounts." Don't get on the scale, please. It hasn't even been a week! And given your size, body comp, and activity level and type, I'm guessing the changes/gains you'll experience will be further body comp tweaks rather than a big drop on the scale.

I believe it's true that this way of eating balances the old hormones and creates a calorie deficit while providing terrific nourishment. That's its brilliance and why it's effective. Can you overeat while on a W30? Absolutely. But unlikely. And based on your log and photos, I don't think you're overeating!

Thanks, very sensible. But I do want to see a big drop! well a middling drop would suffice!

Anyway I will try quieten the evil whispers at back of mind (ha makes me sound a bit crazy) & keep doing what I'm doing for another 25 days :)

Day 5

9.30am! Another lazy start. I was awake earler but dd was still asleep so I just read in bed till she woke up - she would be most put out if I wasn't available in bed for morning snuggles. Such a physically affectionate child, makes up for her tweenager brother who will give you a side lean rather than a hug!

Egg loaf, half an avo, beetroot dip. I went back and had another half slice because a) dd wanted some and B) I was still hungry.

black coffee after

post-22-14072659790547_thumb.jpg

1pm - avocado, king prawn, cucumber, grapefruit salad, with evoo & salt & pepper. YUM!
cm coffee

post-22-1407266006212_thumb.jpg

3pm - cm coffee, a banana, and a hide in my room after doing some gardening

5pm - pre workout snack = half a chicken breast, tsp ish of mayo, mug of bone broth. Would have rathered my choc banana protein shake :(

6.30-7.30 Crossfit class

Whoop whoop I got my first legit over-hand pull up!! Must have been the chicken! :D

7.50pm - after a brisk walk home in booty shorts in the rain :rolleyes:

Leftover roast pork & crackling, slathered in roast veg gravy with coleslaw. I ate this way too fast & now have a tummy ache :unsure:  On the lus side husband & kids are out, the joy of an empty house to a sahm in the Summer... :wub:

post-22-14072660210499_thumb.jpg

Nice hot shower & some herbal tea on the cards. See if I'm brave enough to watch The Great British Bake Off :ph34r:

Haha Derval - yes I will - my radar is on now and tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it - I am going to make it this time after only about 15 false starts since my last whole30!! I'm sure you'll believe me when you see it. I think I'll see this URL sneak its way up my frequent list :)

Hi Derval,

Dublin based also, just started a Whole30 yesterday and looking for ideas and inspiration so I hope you don't mind if I stalk you!  Already picked up some good info re products as I was wondering where the best source of Whole30 suitable bacon and chorizo was.  Mmm Rashers..  :D

Hey heyho!

Bacon - the streaky rashers in aldi (both smoked & not) are sugar free. The Simply Better back rashers I got last time in Dunnes now have sugar in them so need to find a repalcement for them. Chorizo is tough to find, the one they have in Lidl as part of spanish special is compliant but their usual one isn't, same with aldi, dunnes etc. If you are near Ballyroan Get Fresh have one is that is compliant, they also stock Happy Pear red pesto which is amazeballs.

Hope that helps, have a great W30.

Archived