Day 45 and Just Now Feeling Tiger Blood

hollyhiggins

Just wanted to share my slow-and-steady-wins-the-race success story with everyone — especially those of you who are struggling or might be slow to see results. 

Today is Day 45 of my second Whole30. (I did my first one last summer.) It's been the FIRST day I've felt tiger blood. I don't plan to stop today or anytime soon. My body has been through a lot, and it needs the time to heal. Plus, I don't ever want to return to my old lifestyle. 

I've been slow to lose weight, and I've been slow to feel better. This has been disheartening, because so many Whole30 success stories are all, "Holy cow, I lost 18 pounds in 30 days and I feel like I want to climb a mountain!" I haven't felt any of that. While I feel so much more at peace with the food I'm putting into my body, I've been craving results — many of which are just now appearing. 

I lost six pounds in the first month, and given the amount of weight I need to lose (more than 60 pounds), that's not much at all. My energy has been really low. I haven't been "sleeping the sleep of the righteous." Despite following the plan to a T, I've wondered every day if I'm doing something wrong.

But, in the past couple of days, things have started to pick up. And today, holy crap, I FEEL IT. I wish I would have been nicer and more patient with myself in the last month. I spent a lot of time feeling hopeless. Given my context, I think I just needed more time.

I had a two-and-a-half-year bout with antidepressants, which completely wrecked my metabolism. Last year when I was on antidepressants, I did a Whole30 and lost zero weight. This year, I'm completely off of them, and my body is just now getting into the mode where it wants to burn fat. If you're on antidepressants and struggling to lose, it could be the antidepressants. It was for me. If you're interested in getting off them, work with your doctor to develop a very careful tapering plan. Coming off them was pure torture, but it's one of the best decisions I've ever made.

Anyway, maybe I will be brave enough to share pictures in a couple of months, but for now, hang in there. For some of us, results are slower to come. That sucks, and it ain't fair, but it's OK. 

I believe there's a brain reset that happens.  That was more exciting to me than the food reset.  I started to remember what it was like to think without the brain drain.  It's very exciting when it happens.

Nothing feels as good as a brain reset.

• Moderators

So so many of us have stories like yours, and I think it's really important that we share our experiences to help encourage the many others who are struggling. This is not a quick weight loss plan despite the vocal minority who drop a load of weight in the first month, and I think we need to normalize the experience of more subtle changes and the need for w30 principles for the long haul. Yes, the results are miraculous, but you can't always see them on the scale!

I am glad you were persistent and went on... Without reading your other people' story, I would have quit. Then I started to feel better and better, and it's like they say, you cannot undo things in 30 days you have done to yourself all over your life. So congratulation, and keep it going.

I agree that it's critical to normalize the variety of experiences on Whole30. Earlier on in my journey, I was whining to my husband that "the majority of people experience mind-blowing results in just 30 days." 

Here's what he said: "Those are the people who are sharing their story on the Internet, and they're probably a minority. Other people who are having slower results are probably more hesitant to share, because they think they're doing something wrong."

Thanks for posting this, today is Day 30 for me and I feel I need to continue also.  I have lost some weight, but looking for more of the benefits (more energy and better sleep), and I can tell my sugar cravings are just sitting at the surface...so I am extending to 50 days to see what happens.  It was encouraging to read about your experiences :)

I am on day 53 now and feeling much better. Tiger blood continues to be off and on — great some days, so-so others. Fortunately I'm feeling great today ... yay!

Because I expected I had deeper symptoms, I decided to see a functional medicine doc. It turns out my hormones and adrenals are out of balance, so we're working to resolve those issues. Eating Whole30 does a world of difference, but in my case, I need a little extra help. 

I'm glad you found my story encouraging, @Nursetofly. Hang in there and keep going!

Thank you for sharing your story. I am just starting my second week and have noticed that I seem to be having delayed responses from what is talked about in the whole 30 daily. for instance I have been crabby and moody yesterday and today instead of earlier in the week. Rashes are worse, but I kind of expected that. I am happy however about losing most of my bloat, now to lose the weight! I am on anti-deps and have been for over 25 years. I am concentrating cleaning up my diet before I tackle going off of AD's. I wan to be strong and healthy and off of my other Meds before I tackle the big one.

GFY for hanging in there and continuing your W30. I suspect that like you I will be extending mine to get the full effect.

Go girl!

@Hols1, I think that's a really smart approach — give your body the fuel and nutrition it needs before you put more stress on it. It's important to take things at a steady, reasonable pace.

If/when you are ready to tackle the antidepressants, I highly recommend the book "The Antidepressant Solution: A Step-by-Step Guide to Safely Overcoming Antidepressant Withdrawal, Dependence, and 'Addiction'" by Dr. Joseph Glenmullen. That's where I was first introduced to the theory of "Prozac bridging," which ultimately got me off of my meds. You can also find some info on the topic by simply Googling "Prozac bridge." 

My husband and I both are on Day 11 of our first whole 30.  We eat pretty much the same meals.  He's a little better with eating his veggies than I am.  I've felt ok.  I've been a little tired and bloated the last few days.  He is exhausted.  He doesn't sleep well at night.  I lay down and sleep a solid 7-8 hours.  He says he's gained weight and is really bloated.  His clothes are even tighter than when we started.  Any thoughts on why we are having such different experiences?  

Archived