Did you find yourself sweeter and kinder after Whole30 reintro?

MeadowLily

Will the struggles always be there?

They will lessen, wax and wane but you can't fix a broken brain with a broken brain.  It may take months and years to undo all of the damage that's been done.

There's no such thing as the Finish Line. 

The absolute worst thing you can do is hitch your wagon to another siege of dieting.  Building fortresses with the sole intent of conquering food addiction or disorder with another assault of dieting upon your body, mind and spirit. 

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Binge Eating, food addiction, food disorder makes it's cameo appearance in the tender teenage years. 

It can show up in early childhood based on what's going on in the home environment but usually, it's the teenage years when everything starts going off the rails. Puberty.

It may really get kicked up and escalate in the early 20's. They used to believe that the brain stopped growing or changing around age 25-26 but that no longer holds true.

Your brain doesn't stop changing all through the days of your life.  All of the cells in your body change, out with the old and in with the new every so many months.  Just like going to the auto body shop.

You get a new coat of paint and a tuneup for the engine under your hood.  Your bald tires may stay bald but you can always throw a rug on your head. Get some new seat covers and spruce up the wheelbearings and spark plugs.

You can get some knee and hip replacements.  Even a new heart, kidney or lung but you can't get a new brain.  Think abby normal and Young Frankenstein here.

You can hitch your wagon to someone who doesn't have a food addiction or food disorder.  You can glean from their knowledge and expertise but who are you when no one else is looking?

Remember when you were eating in the unconscious mode.

All the while you were doing that...eating by remote control like a robot, your mind didn't stop you one time.  It did not do anything but go along for the free ride.

Your body helped the mind out.  Your eyes didn't even really glance in a window or mirror.  Everything was a total blur while eating in the unconscious mode.  That's how food addiction and food disorder works.

It's a stealth bomber for you baby.  You're navigating the sugary sharky waters. When you finally make it out to the beach, you're beached with sneaky snakes slithering around your ankles. 

When you're up to your eyeballs in alligators it's hard to drain the swamp.

What comes first.  The egg or the chicken.

Binge Eating or Diabetes.

Was it brewing in your body and mind the entire time just waiting to pounce?

They're connected.

I have diabetics in my family.  I remember how they were driven by food. Driven, so driven by food to the point of being unable to control their compulsive behaviors.   I have alcoholics in my family and some of them died because of it.

Further back in time, it was not so with my family. We're about as paleo as you can get.  They were not sick or diseased.

Just like animals in the wild don't suffer with eating disorders and diabetes, neither did they. 

So what the hail happened to everyone? 

They were introduced to substances that were toxic to their systems. Alcohol and sugar and wheat.  Look how that all turned out. 

It's not just gluten....I heard today that paleo peeples who turn to gluten free products have more arsenic in their systems than those eating gluten.  Why?  Because the gluten free products are being replaced with these flour alternatives that have more arsenic.

One man's poison is another man's food source.

What's the answer.  Just quit eating gluten free products that jack your blood sugar up sky high.  Higher than a kite.  Quit eating the gmo roundup ready wheat.   It's not only gluten giving you a leaky gut that leaks like a sieve, it's wheat in its entirety.

You've to separate the wheat from the chaff but sometimes, you've just got to put your foot down and say to hail with the wheat. 

Separating the tar from the cigarette or vaping doesn't prevent lung cancer.   Taking elements out of the offender won't solve it.

Is it even possible to really go back to ancient grains without any of the protein/genetic modifications that have been done.

All things are possible but until then, you've got to take care of yourself.  

Got arsenic?  You will... if you keep eating those highly refined and deliberately engineered to be craved alternative flour gluten free products. 

Raise the bar.

There are athletes who have raised the bar so high for others all around them.  Running, swimming, basketball, baseball, football and golfing.

Tee time.

Sports are physical but mostly mental. You can knock yourself right of contention when you get a case of the yips.

The body and mind will do everything they can to keep you in that deep hole of defeat.  Just like a food addiction and any kind of addiction.

The brain becomes addicted to defeat and you're stuck in a groove of defeat.  You can go to the absolute best sports therapist on the planet and still stay stuck for the rest of your life.  It's that head game, and those two nitwits, body and mind, accommodating your broken spirit.

A broken spirit.  There is no prosthetic for that.

You can't get a new one at the doctor's office or on the operating table. 

My spirit is the best part of me.  I can't rely on the nitwits.  If it were so, I would've fixed this a long, long time ago. 

Spiritual help is not the same as self-help.

Looking after your spiritual health is connection and letting go at the same time. Spiritual help is turning loose of the body and mind's hold over you. 

Spiritual connection takes the fear out and allows recovery to come in.

Spiritual health is turning loose of the body and mind's addiction for food rewards.

You have entered a time, not a season of your greatest favor. 

From this moment until your eventual transition, you've saved the best for last.

You're not going out like you came in. 

You're not going out with your tail hanging down and feeling like something the cat dragged in. 

Your favor is not earthbound. It's from Heaven to earth.

You've asked yourself many questions that were designed to provoke a dialogue.  Mutual conversations between you and others. 

The remnants of your tribe are here. You pay homage to your ancestors that are long gone before you. I am speaking to everyone who loves their family dearly.

What will it take for you, all of you, to believe that you are increasingly magnificent...day by day.  You're not where you want to be but you're certainly not where you used to be.

Finding your pathway to healing is not a burden, it's a blessing. 

Mill around and shoot the breeze with the Universe.  Make a connection with your spirit. There will be places opened up to you that are undreamed of by you.

There will times of unprecedented favor. Don't ever take it for granted.

Momentum is a gift. 

We're not going out of here like we came in.  

Birds of a feather fly together. We're bound by all of the days and months of struggle 'til the day of our intended destined 'transition'. Seated in the heavenly places of the Universe.

We've saved the best for last. To live out the rest of our years with mental clarity and physical fortitude.  We want to spend quality years with our children and families......waaaay into our healthy Whole nineties.

Let's keep dancing.  Thanks, Al.  You inspire me.

Gluten free alternative flour products  can be high in arsenic. A staple of a gluten-free diet is rice — and many rice products are high in arsenic. The rice plant is particularly good at pulling arsenic out of the soil, and there is a fair amount of it left from prior pesticide use. Arsenic in large amounts can be lethal, but even smaller amounts can lead over time to not only cancer and other health problems, but to learning problems when infants and children are exposed. The American Academy of Pediatrics and the Food and Drug Administration have been cautioning parents about limiting rice and rice products in their children’s diet.

http://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/teens-who-smoke-pot-at-risk-for-later-schizophrenia-psychosis-201103071676

For years, now, experts have been sounding the alarm about a possible link between marijuana use and psychosis. One of the best-known studies followed nearly 50,000 young Swedish soldiers for 15 years. Those who had smoked marijuana at least once were more than twice as likely to develop schizophrenia as those who had never smoked pot. The heaviest users (who said they used marijuana more than 50 times) were six times as likely to develop schizophrenia as the nonsmokers.

http://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/is-it-adhd-or-autism-201510278462

In a study just published in the journal Pediatrics, researchers looked at about 1,500 children between the ages of 2 and 17 who had a current diagnosis of autism (as reported by their parents). They found that those who got an ADHD diagnosis before they got an autism diagnosis were diagnosed with autism an average of 3 years later than those who got the autism diagnosis first — and were 30 times more likely to get the autism diagnosis when they were 6 years old or older.

So before settling on a diagnosis of ADHD, especially in a young child, parents should talk with their doctor about whether doing more testing would be a good idea. These are hard conversations to have, but they are important ones: they can make all the difference when it comes to getting a child the help he or she really needs.

Study: Gluten-free diets do not improve autism behavior

Keeping the proteins found in wheat, barley, rye and dairy out of the diets of children with autism does not lead to behavior improvements, new research has found.

While many doctors do not recommend a special diet as an autism therapy, there are widespread reports from families on the internet lauding the success of keeping foods containing gluten and casein out of an autistic child's diet. Currently, nearly one in three children with autism is given a gluten- and casein-free diet in an effort to reduce symptoms of the neurodevelopmental disease.

The cause of autism, a neurodevelopmental disorder that hinders communication and social interaction. For many families finding ways to help children can be challenging and lead them to try many unproven treatments.

Researchers at the University of Rochester Medical Center in upstate New York put the gluten- and casein-free diet to most stringent test.

They looked at children with autism between the ages of 2½ and 5½ years old – but without celiac disease or allergies to milk and wheat.

First they removed gluten and casein from the children’s diet. After four weeks, the children were randomly given either gluten or casein, both, or a placebo, through a carefully measured snack. Parents, teachers and a research assistants were questioned about the child's behavior before and after the snack was eaten.

"Under these controlled circumstances we did not find an effect on behavior in response to challenges with gluten and casein in children with autism but without GI disease," says Hyman.

Parents need to be aware of the potential cost and measure the benefit before they consider trying a new treatment for their child, says IMFAR Program Committee program chair, David Mandell.

Hyman and Mandell both say more studies need to be done looking at the effects of diet and the specific subtypes of autism.The study is being released this weekend at the International Meeting for Autism Research in Philadelphia.

Autism usually develops by the time a child is 3 years old. An average of 1 in 110 children suffers from some type of an autism spectrum disorder.

Children with autism can have one of several complex neurological disorders, which lead to social impairments, communication difficulties and restrictive and repetitive behaviors. According to the most recent data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, an average of 1 in 110 children suffers from some type of an autism spectrum disorder.

Gluten free may may not solve your problems.  Substituting with rice flour may load you up with arsenic. 

You may have to give up wheat in its entirety.  Like for real. 

If you have celiac disease or any of the long list of inflammatory or autoimmune diseases associated with wheat (rheumatoid arthritis, multiple sclerosis, cerebellar ataxia, peripheral neuropathy, Hashimoto’s thyroiditis, dermatitis herpetiformis, etc.), then wheat avoidance should be complete and meticulous.

If you have an addictive relationship with wheat, e.g. one pretzel or one Twizzler (yes: wheat is the second ingredient) makes you want to eat the whole bag, then complete avoidance is also advisable. Because wheat triggers cravings that people often cannot stop once it starts, it is best to avoid wheat-containing foods altogether.

Many people who remove wheat from their diet have what I call “wheat re-exposure reactions” experienced as abdominal cramps, gas, and diarrhea (just like food poisoning); asthma attacks; joint swelling and pain; and emotional effects such as anxiety in women and rage in men.

I’ve witnessed many people go wheat-free, feel great, lose 30 pounds, then have an emotional blowup at a birthday party after indulging in just a small piece of birthday cake. 

Once wheat-free, always wheat-free is the best policy.

http://www.wheatbellyblog.com/faqs/

Just removing gluten out of your diet may not be the miracle cure you're looking for.  Whether it's a food addiction or adhd or autism or autoimmune disorder.

You may have to give up wheat.  For real. 

And I hate myself for loving you... wheat.  You yellow bellied lily livered sapsucker. 

I think of you every night and day. Wheat
You took my heart, then you took my pride away.

I hate myself for loving you. Wheat
Can't break free from the the things that you do.
I want to walk but I run back to you, that's why
I hate myself for loving you.

Daylight, spent the night without you.
But I've been dreamin' 'bout the lovin' you do.
I won't be as angry 'bout the hell you put me through.

Never let anybody take control of your nutritional decisions.

Ever.

That includes your Big Kahuna triggers. I hate myself for still loving you wheat and high fructose corn syrup. You made my life a living hail.  Nothing has changed after 3 years.  I cannot bounce in and out of my positive food management plan.  It doesn't work that way for me and it never did.  

I'm persistent and consistent but some days are easier than others.

Drink water like it's your job.

Eat protein like you mean it.

Prime the pump. Not the insulin pump.

Limit insulin excursions.

Eating real protein is the most efficient way to get rid of that insulin resistant belly fat. The kind of dangerous fat that leads to diabetes.

It's also the way to get the Big Kahuna trigger foods off your back.

Never let anybody take control of your nutritional decisions.

Ever.

Do you know what a  dry drunk is?  It's someone who's sober but in some ways or on occasion behave like they're still in the midst of addiction. The dry drunk may be triggered by ice in a bar glass while having to go out with clients or coworkers.  That's all it takes for the recovering alcoholic.

For the food alcoholic or addict, I may be food sober but when I'm pushed up against the wall and surrounded by countertops of chocolate easter candies, potato chips and highly engineered to be craved foods....it can be a hailuva day.

I talked myself away from the brink, yesterday.  Journaling about your feelings and struggles is good medicine.  It's kept me food sober.

It's one thing not to bring the offenders into your home or vehicle but there will breakrooms, homes, situations that you have absolutely no say so about whatsoever.  That's life.

That's when you Urge Surf.  If Then Planning. Even scare the hail out of yourself.  It's all fun, really. calm down crazy rabbit

It works pheew crazy rabbit for me. 

Wheat and HFCS trigger cravings that food alcoholics/addicts cannot stop once it starts. It is best to avoid wheat and HFCS foods altogether. Taking one bite of these items wouldn't do anything for my degree of food alcoholism/addiction.

I've been highly allergic to HFCS since birth.  Oy vey, Maw gave me whopping boatloads of it, used for colic in my baby bottle. That was an imaginary cure. The side effects of a HFCS allergy turned into a full blown food addiction. For real.

I can Urge Surf them almost everywhere I go. When I'm surrounded by them, looking all cute and adorable over there on countertops,  I have to fight. When I'm dog tired, been up for hours and my rearend is hanging out of my armor....you still must take full responsibility for yourself without rationalization.  

Everyone has their dues in life to pay...isn't that the way.

There are substances of every kind that trip people up. When you think you know it all, you're in dangerous territory.  Pride comes before the fall.  

Stay humble.  Keep your eyes wide open and be a watchman on the wall.  

Press past yourself.

You cannot take a vacation from yourself, you'll go right back to your old haunts and behaviors.  The body and mind are more than willing to help you fall back into eating in the unconscious mode.  

You can't rest on your laurels.  You can't rest on your past successes.

There's only TODAY and NOW.   What you did a year ago doesn't matter if you're right back where you started today.  So wipe your slate clean.

Joy comes in the morning.  Favor, momentum,  fortitude, consistency, discernment and humility will buy you what money cannot.

Harness your emotions. Use everything in your Emotional Survival Kit.  It's the cure for what ails you.

Animals panic.  People panic.  I don't have to respond to stimuli like an animal.  I am more than an evolved animal.  I have a spirit.

I exercise my faith instead of fear.  Our faith overcomes the world.

Don't fall apart like a $10 suitcase. I refuse to allow food addiction to dominate me, again.    nah crazy rabbit 

Become your own coach.

If you have a food addiction or food disorder or any kind of addiction, you have to coach yourself in the midnight hours while everyone else is sleeping.

You can't fall asleep at the wheel.  While you're pulling the dross out of your head you can figure it out.   

No one knows your triggers like you do. Your positive food management plan will be different than mine.  

Daily or  biweekly dealing with Big Kahuna triggers and old cravings is the toughest part about shifting your mindset and reframing your thinking.    

I use LaCroix water to make braised and glazed carrots.

There's an old recipe passed down through the generations, using a can of orange soda pop with butter to make braised, glazed carrots.

I use a can of Orange LaCroix, clarified kerrygold butter and some freshly squeezed orange juice from a real orange.  The real orange has some fiber and pulp that works just dandy. I season at the end with salt and pepper.

I throw everything into my rice cooker and let it braise and glaze it on down.  For an extra tad of color, I throw under my broiler.  Voila. 

Separating the tar from the cigarette and fact from fiction.

I enjoy Coconut LaCroix and Apricot LaCroix  the very best.  For me, they have the least amount of a citric acid blowback.  I use these two flavors for all kinds of cooking and my own recipes.

I make all kinds of drinks and salad dressings with LaCroix.  

There's a Stress Soother

Hormone Helper

Blood Sugar Balancer

Hunger Ender

Belly Fat Blaster

Detoxifier

Energy Booster

Bloat Buster

Inflammation Easer

But the sky is not the limit of the things I can do with LaCroix water and how I incorporate it into my super secret recipes.   patpat dance crazy rabbit

Related image

You can add some fresh ginger in with your glazed and braised carrots. You can peel sweet potatoes or yams and make the same darned thing.

Image result for photos braised glazed carrots photos only

Blackened Honey-Glazed Sweet Potatoes and Carrots

You can even make a combo of blackened sweet potatoes and carrots with the same orange LaCroix glaze. It's all fun really. The sky is not limit of how you can use LaCroix water.

I use LaCroix to stretch out my Booch.  It's 4 bucks a pop here and that $120/month, unless you're busy brewing your own. Add your extra fancy coffee drink, another 4 bucks and that's almost $250 month for your drinks.

I add LaCroix water to my full fat plain greek yogurt because....it's a part of my individual positive food management plan. It makes the best drink in the west. No sugars added.  None.

I make all kinds of balsamic reductions and you've got it,  I add some different LaCroix flavors in those, too. The flavors are not artificial and when you get done with the cans, make a broasted chicken on the grill.

Image result for dr pepper can chicken

There's another secret family recipe handed down through the generations for removing acne, preventing scarring and a wonderful facial.

You've got it. I use LaCroix water for my face.

The sky is not the limit and it never was.

I make my own homemade facial serum.  You see, back in the day, there was only baking soda.  It can be used for absolutely everything. Cleaning and even a deodorant when you don't have any.  Belly tonics and facial scrubs.  Instant dry hair shampoo.  Oooo, yeah. I use baking soda when I'm pressed for time.  Just sprinkle on the top of your head and brush through.

Don't worry if it looks white, it shakes right out.  Bend over from the waist and ruffle your fingers all through your hair.  Freshens your scalp right up. You'll see.

Baking soda, so many things and so little time.

LaCroix = soda.  

Add LaCroix and some extra baking soda.  Add freshly squeezed lemon juice if you want to get rid of dark spots, let it sit on your skin for 15 minutes.  Voila.  

Do this and it's a great homemade mask for cleaning and clearing up your skin.   Anything I can do with baking soda, I can add some LaCroix and give it an extra rocket booster of flavor and pizzazz and sass. 

LaCroix works with all my baking soda recipes because there's no sugar added.  I can clean stovetops and countertops, removing stains and heckatoot, I've even put it on stains for my lighter clothes.   

I swill it and I grill with it.  I clean spills and chefville with it.

thelma-e-louise-scena-con-brad-pitt.jpg

I have freewill and mostly, I swill it with reckless and wild abandon.....in my house of hope.

Shift Work Sleeping Disorder

During the night shift, the body's sleep-wake rhythm requires you to be awake but the body is tired and less alert. It can affect your job performance, the quality and even the duration of your life.

There are many noble career paths that require you to do shift work, including caregiving. The body pays a price.

The strongest desire to sleep is between midnight and 6 am and between 2 pm and 4 pm. The circadian sleep wake is regulated by our internal biologic clock located in the suprachiasmatic nuclei of the hypothalamus. 

Trying to sleep when your body wants you awake has consequences.

Shift work disorder results in total sleep time of 1-4 hours of non-restorative sleep quality. Difficulty staying alert, concentrating, memory and making decisions. Problems with eye-hand coordination, decreased attention span and an increase in reaction time.  Sleeping only with only 2-4 hours of quality sleep has the same effect as 3 drinks of alcohol.

There is an increase in GI and digestive issues, heart problems, heart attacks, hypertension, diabetes and weight gain.

Shift work disorder includes more vehicle accidents - to and from work, falling alseep at the wheel. Impatience, irritated and agitated, mood disorders, anxiety and depression.

Shift work disorder causes weight gain because biological clocks are disrupted. People who work at night produce less leptin, a hormone that signals the body to stop eating, and more cortisol, which has been linked to obesity.

After 2 years, most see an increase in the body mass index. Switching back to working in the day, most see a decrease in their BMI's.  Sleep quality makes a huge difference.

Nobel professions require shift work.  

You load 16 tons and what do you get.  Another day older and deeper in sleep debt. 

Archived