Did you find yourself sweeter and kinder after Whole30 reintro?

MeadowLily

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does Taking Too Much Vitamin B Make Your Hair Fall Out?

Matthew Lee

Hair loss may be a sign of excessive or insufficient B vitamin intake. 

The vitamin B complex is a family of eight water-soluble vitamins essential for the health of your nervous system, skin, eyes and hair. As normal levels of B complex vitamins promote healthy hair, taking too much or too little of these vitamins affects the strength and thickness of your hair. While hair loss is a common sign of a B vitamin deficiency, using excessive amounts of B vitamins to correct this may further increase your hair loss.

Eat Real Foods for Healthy Hair

1. Salmon

Besides being rich in protein and vitamin D (both are key to strong hair) the omega-3 fatty acids found in this tasty cold-water fish are the true superstar. Your body can't make those fatty acids, which your body needs to grow hair. About 3% of the hair shaft is make up of these fatty acids, Drayer says. Omega-3s are also found in cell membranes in the skin of your scalp, and in the natural oils that keep your scalp and hair hydrated.

2. Walnuts

These are the only type of nut that have a significant amount of omega-3 fatty acids. They're also rich in biotin and vitamin E, which helps protect your cells from DNA damage. Since your hair rarely gets much shielding from the sun, this is especially great, Drayer says. Too little biotin can lead to hair loss. Walnuts also have copper, a mineral that helps keep your natural hair color rich and lustrous, Fishman says.

Other options: Try using walnut oil in your salad dressing or stir-fry instead of canola or safflower, Fishman says.

3. Oysters

Oysters are rich in zinc, a lack of which can lead to hair loss (even in your eyelashes), as well as a dry, flaky scalp. Three ounces has a whopping 493% of your daily value. You can get some zinc through fortified cereals and whole grain breads, but oysters can boast a good level of protein too. "Remember, hair is about 97% protein," Drayer says. Without enough protein, your body can't replace the hairs that you naturally shed every day and what you do make can be dry, brittle, or weak.

Other options: Get your fill of zinc with nuts, beef, and eggs.

4. Sweet Potatoes

Sweet potatoes are a great source of the antioxidant beta carotene, which your body turns into vitamin A. "Basically, every cell of the body cannot function without enough A," Fishman says. It also helps protect and produce the oils that sustain your scalp, and being low on vitamin A can even leave you with itchy, irksome dandruff.

Other options: Carrots, cantaloupe, mangoes, pumpkin, and apricots are all good sources of beta carotene.

5. Eggs

A great source of protein, eggs are loaded with four key minerals: zinc, selenium, sulfur, and iron. Iron is especially important, because it helps cells carry oxygen to the hair follicles, and too little iron (anemia) is a major cause of hair loss, particularly in women, Drayer says.

Other options: You can also boost your iron stores with animal sources, including chicken, fish, pork, and beef.

6. Spinach

The iron, beta carotene, folate, and vitamin C in spinach help keep hair follicles healthy and scalp oils circulating.

Other options: Try similarly nutrient-rich dark, leafy vegetables such as broccoli, kale, and Swiss chard.

7. Lentils

Tiny but mighty, these legumes are teeming with protein, iron, zinc, and biotin, says Fishman, making it a great staple for vegetarian, vegans, and meat eaters.

Other options: Toss other beans into your soup or salad.

Proteinprotein-200.jpg

As hair is made of protein, ensuring you have enough protein in your diet is crucial for making hair strong and healthy. If you are not consuming enough protein in your diet, your hair is likely to become dry, brittle and weak. Extremely low protein diets may result in hair loss. Choose chicken, turkey, fish, dairy products and eggs as excellent sources of protein along with vegetarian sources such as legumes and nuts.

Vitamin Cvitamin-c-200.jpg

Vitamin C aids the absorption of iron so foods high in vitamin C are good to eat in conjunction with iron-rich foods. Vitamin C is also an antioxidant so is used readily by the body. The best sources are blackcurrants, blueberries, broccoli, guava, kiwi fruits, oranges, papaya, strawberries and sweet potatoes. Vitamin C helps in the production of collagen that strengthens the capillaries that supply the hair shafts.

omega-3-200.jpgOmega-3

Omega-3 fatty acids are important fats our body cannot make itself, and therefore must be obtained through our diet. Omega-3s are found in the cells that line the scalp and also provide the oils that keep your scalp and hair hydrated. Look out for oily fish such as salmon, herring, sardines, trout and mackerel and plant sources including avocado, pumpkin seeds and walnuts.

Vitamin Avitamin-a-200.jpg

Vitamin A is needed by the body to make sebum. Sebum is an oily substance created by our hairs sebaceous glands and provides a natural conditioner for a healthy scalp. Without sebum we may experience an itchy scalp and dry hair. Include animal products and orange/yellow coloured vegetables which are high in beta-carotene (which makes vitamin A) such as carrots, pumpkins and sweet potatoes.

Vitamin Evitamin-E-200.jpg

The sun can damage our hair just like it can damage our skin so ensure you eat foods rich in vitamin E to provide protection for your hair. Nuts are nutritional powerhouses, providing zinc and selenium as well as vitamin E so try to include them as part of a balanced diet.

This experience was more than a food reset.   My head reset was more important to me.

Building a normal relationship with food and exercise was the change I was looking for.

My favorite W30 success story is about the two young women in the camper with barely any funds or dishes.

They were kicking it old school.  They weren't whining or boo-hooing about anything.  They had the spirit of Lewis and Clark.....they were on the adventure of their life.

Their success and meager means prompted me to order "It Starts With Food".   I knew if they could do it, so could I.   I reread their testimony quite often.

They didn't worry or overthink it.   When they couldn't afford 'grass-fed' beef or the choicest cuts of meat, they didn't throw the towel in.   They kept going.  They were living off the land, farmer's markets and their sparse budget.

Oh, how I admire brave women like these two.  They are my Lewis and Clark of the W30.  They made a trail that others could follow.   Simplicity.   They encouraged each other, pooled their resources and embraced the unknown.   

Now, I do not for the life of me.....understand how you can give it your all and then want to throw the towel in.  What would you gain from that?   My mind doesn't work that way.

If you're at the crossroads, in the middle... don't you dare cave in now.  Keep going, you will be so happy with yourselves when you finish.

I believe you can have a textbook reintro ....every bit as great as a Whole 30.   I believe you can have a food reset that will launch you into new and better patterns that will last you for the rest of your life.

I believe that engaging your heads in this process is every bit as important as your grocery list.

I believe that there aren't enough binges in the world that will ever fill the holes in hearts.  Binges don't fix broken hearts and there's not enough weight loss that will ever fix a broken spirit.

Another binge is not a treatment for a food addiction.

A food reset and a head reset will take you back to your original factory settings.

You're at the crossroads...keep flying down the highway.  I promise you, you'll be glad you did.

Cibophobia

Fear of Food

Cibophobia, or fear of food, is a relatively complicated phobia that can rapidly spiral into an obsession. People with this phobia are sometimes mistakenly thought to suffer from anorexia, a dangerous eating disorder. The main difference is that those with anorexia fear the effects of food on body image, while those with cibophobia are actually afraid of the food itself. Some people suffer from both disorders, and diagnosis should be made only by a trained clinician.

Many people with cibophobia develop rules for eating behaviors. These rules vary from person to person, but often focus on restaurant meals, where the food’s preparation is outside of your control. You might avoid certain restaurants or individual dishes, refuse to eat away from home.

Complications of Cibophobia

Untreated cibophobia often worsens, causing increasingly obsessive behaviors. Over time, you might severely restrict your diet, jeopardizing your health. You may choose to go hungry rather than eat things that you deem questionable, leading to weakness, dizziness and irritability.

Cibophobia is a complicated phobia that can have devastating effects on your life. With proper treatment, however, there is no reason that you cannot learn to conquer your fear.

dear-melissa-header.png

DEAR MELISSA: SLOW MY (REINTRODUCTION) ROLL

2 September, 2014

Welcome to Dear Melissa, where we answer your questions about transitioning into or or maintaining a healthy Whole9 life, helping you make what you learned during the Whole30 work in the real world. Today, we’re helping a guy who feels so awesome after his Whole30, he’s not sure he event wants to reintroduce anything back into his diet.

Dear Melissa, 

I finished my Whole30, and I feel amazing! I lost 12 pounds, my energy is up, I’m sleeping better, and my sugar cravings are gone for the first time in my entire life. I totally got the “tiger blood!” But now I’m nervous to reintroduce anything because I don’t want to go back to where I was. Help me! –Alan, Atlanta, GA 

Dear Alan,

I totally understand where you are coming from. After the Whole30, some people know exactly what they’ve been missing and want to dive into reintroduction ASAP, to know whether some of their favorite foods will still be “worth it.” Others aren’t missing any food as much as they are loving how wonderful they feel, and they’re hesitant to change anything for fear it’s going to knock them off their game.

This scenario is very common with those battling a chronic illness, where there are serious repercussions for going off-plan. (Think joints swollen and aching, migraines returning, or psoriasis flaring—not something you’d be in a hurry to return to.) It’s also common with someone who has battled a vicious Sugar Dragon, are finally free of the cravings that once ruled their life, and have a really thin margin between “in control” and “sugar-inhaling-autopilot.”

quote89_large.jpg?494

Fear Not!

Note, there’s a difference between being afraid to change anything, and not feeling the need to change anything. The former (being afraid) is not our intention. The Whole30 is designed to teach you how foods interact with your unique body and brain, so you can take that information out into the real world and apply it in a fully sustainable fashion—riding your own bike, as we call it. To stay on the Whole30 indefinitely out of fear is missing the whole point of our program. Is the idea of eating a small piece of your Mom’s once-a-year holiday dessert (your favorite food ever) giving you anxiety? Do you really want to reintroduce something you’ve been missing (cream in your coffee, hot buttered popcorn on movie night, or a glass of wine on date night) but you just won’t let yourself? Do you feel lost, without a sustainable plan for eating in the real world, because you’re not really on the Whole30, but you won’t really come off it, either? If this is your story, then hold on the rest of this advice and read the above-referenced Ride Your Own Bike article first. You need to get over that fear, because it’s holding up your progress! You’ll never find a healthy, balanced, sustainable way to eat—a way that works for you—if you blindly follow our rules for the rest of your life.

- See more at: http://whole30.com/2014/09/dear-melissa-slow-reintroduction-roll/#sthash.VvDVbgxM.dpuf

Ancient Grains 

IMG_5271.JPG

Rye

Weed or staple?
Rye is an ancient grain (technically a grass) closely related to wheat and barley. Domesticated rye has been traced to Neolithic sites in Turkey. Rye may have been cultivated in central Europe as early as 1800-1500 B.C. It has been feeding Eastern Europe since the middle ages. 

Long seen as a weed in more desirable wheat crops, rye eventually gained respect for its ability to grow in areas too wet or cold for other grains. This has made it a traditional food in Northern Europe and Russia. Rye was also widely grown in colonial America.

grains-01-300.jpg

I’ve fallen in love with ancient grains for their unaltered genetic make up as well as their high concentration of essential nutrients. We’ve introduced ancient grains a while ago and provided some basic info on each of them. Then we dedicated some space to the ancient grains that are safe if you’re suffering from Gluten Intolerance. 

Rye is also one of the ancient grains simply packed with nutrients, including selenium (an antioxidant), phosphorus, copper and manganese. So, I suppose if you want to live vicariously through your friends that are free of gluten difficulties, suggest barley to them as an alternative to wheat.

One benefit you could pass on to your non celiac friends is that whole rye bread is a good choice for diabetics. The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition discovered that a greater insulin response is triggered with wheat breads than rye breads.

318682-bigthumbnail.jpg

the_catcher_in_the_rye__by_KatherineZe.j

Rye's fiber 
Rye is a very good source of fiber, which is especially important in the United States, since most Americans do not get enough fiber in their diets. Rye fiber is richly endowed with noncellulose polysaccharides, which have exceptionally high water-binding capacity and quickly give a feeling a fullness and satiety, making rye bread a real help for anyone trying to lose weight. A cup of cream of rye cereal provides 21.6% of the daily value for fiber.

A Better Grain Choice for Persons with Diabetes
Rye bread may be a better choice than wheat bread for persons with diabetes. A study published in the November 2003 issue of the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition found that bread made from wheat triggers a greater insulin response than rye bread does. Finnish researchers at the University of Kupio compared the effects of eating refined wheat bread with endosperm rye bread, traditional rye bread and high fiber rye bread on several markers of blood sugar control including plasma glucose, insulin, glucose-dependent insulinotropic polypeptide (GIP), glucagon-like peptide 1 (GLP1), and serum C-peptide in 19 healthy post-menopausal women. (GIP and GLP1 are incretin hormones secreted within the gastrointestinal tract during meals that boost the effects of insulin; c-peptide is a marker of insulin secretion) All of these markers were evaluated in blood samples taken both before and after the women ate each of the breads. Results showed that after the women had eaten any of the rye breads, their insulin, GIP and C-peptide responses were significantly lower than after they ate wheat bread. Among the different rye breads, however, no significant differences were seen in insulin and C-peptide response despite their varying levels of fiber. Researchers felt this lower after-meal insulin response could, therefore, not be attributed only to the fiber content of the rye breads, but was also due to the fact that the starch granules in rye bread form a less porous and mechanically firmer matrix than in wheat bread. This would translate into a much greater particle size being swallowed when rye bread is eaten compared to wheat, which would slow the rate at which the starch could be digested into sugar.(December 31, 2003)

rye_field.jpg

Tom Denham

Whole9 Moderator/First Whole30 May 2010

• photo-thumb-6.jpg?_r=1403697759
  • Moderators
  • w9team.png
  • 5172 posts
  • LocationAlpharetta, Georgia, USA

Posted 07 June 2013 - 09:50 AM

There are no Whole30 Smoothie recipes. Smoothies are discouraged, although they are not banned during a Whole30. There are multiple problems with smoothies. One is that liquid food digests quicker than whole foods, so a smoothie will not help your body feel full as long as whole foods. That leads to unnecessary hunger or eating more when you did not really need to be eating more. Second is that smoothies don't fit the meal template of a serving of protein, a serving of fat, and a lot of veggies very well. Most smoothies are high in sugar because they include too much fruit and few smoothies include an adequate serving of protein (almond milk just does not measure up to a palm-size portion of roast beef). Third, smoothies are widely embraced as health food, but are not much more healthy than McDonald's fries.

Consequently, this topic is closed. Move along people, there is nothing to see here.  :)

Posted by WholeStanley 

I'm not the only who really slips up when it comes to the whole30 recommendation about WHERE we should be eating - for me it was easy to avoid the TV, but rarely a day goes by when I don't eat at least one meal in front of my emails, or with my ipad in front of me - sometimes even reading this forum! The inability to just eat with no other distraction but the yummy food in front of me is a hard habit to break - and I think it's easy to convince yourself that a newspaper article is better than the tv, but in reality they all do the same job in that they focus your brain on something other than the food you are putting in your mouth.

I've always found the days I managed to get out of the office for my lunch and just eat on a bench with no distractions are the ones when I don't feel hungry again in the afternoon, so I found this experiment really interesting:

"Your brain, not your stomach, tells you when to stop eating

Hunger is in the mind. Dr Suzanne Higgs at Birmingham University carried out a remarkable experiment to prove it. Her team gave a group of amnesiacs a lunch of sandwiches and cakes. When everybody had finished eating, they cleared away and brought in a fresh lunch 10 minutes later. A control group of people with no memory problems groaned and refused any more food. The amnesiac group tucked in and ate the same again.

When we eat in front of the television or while looking at our computer screen at work, we are not giving lunch or dinner our full attention. Our brain is not registering how much we have eaten and we may well feel we haven't had enough. Higgs is working on a phone app so that people can take pictures of their meals and snacks as a reminder that they've actually had enough."

I particularly liked this section, which I think I might start using in my elevator pitch when explaining why I'm doing the whole30

No one would buy an expensive car and fill it with lighter fluid and then expect anything but disaster. Yet we are happy to fill the world's most complex machine – the human body – with weird junk. Products which are not made by the power of the sun, but manufactured in the dark in tubes and machines, have triggered a health crisis which is spinning out of control.

Archived