Did you find yourself sweeter and kinder after Whole30 reintro?

MeadowLily

http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/13050-whole-30-weight-loss-where/

"Whole 30...where's my weight loss"

Whole9 Moderator/First Whole30 May 2010

• photo-thumb-6.jpg?_r=1403697759
  • Moderators
  • w9team.png
  • 4937 posts
  • LocationAlpharetta, Georgia, USA

The Whole30 ban on measuring and weighing applies specifically to you. Your history is not a reason you should get an exception to the ban. Your history is the reason the ban was instituted. Your history and that of people with 834 similar histories.  :) Really. If you were better off knowing how much you weighed every day or every 3 days or every 6 days, etc., that would be part of the plan. 

You can't improve the Whole30 plan by adjusting it to fit your ideas about what is best or necessary. The Whole30 plan works for tens of thousands of people with radically different circumstances. Just settle in and let the plan work for you.

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thirty Days Wasn’t Long Enough

"While radical health improvements can take place in just 30 days during the program, when you put it into context, decades of less than healthy behavior often can’t compete with 30 days of Whole30. Fat adaptation (teaching your body to use fat as fuel) takes time.* Stubborn medical issues, like psoriasis, migraines, chronic pain conditions, or diabetes, can’t be fully resolved with just a month of healthy eating. And an unhealthy psychological relationship with food—and the cravings, habits, and emotional ties that go along—are often the toughest battle to win.

*This is especially true if you’re coming from a S.A.D. (Standard American Diet). It can take several weeks before you learn to trust the “hungry” and “full” signals your body is sending you—and you may not have been eating enough in the beginning, because you were afraid of all that fat."

"Many Whole30’ers report that they didn’t feel or see “the magic” until day 45, 60, or beyond. Whether you choose to extend your Paleo elimination program or not is entirely up to you, but think about your results in terms of the context of your life, your health history, and your habits—and realize that maybe, you’ll need longer than just 30 days to see the ultimate results you were hoping for. But then again, you also have to make sure you’re measuring the right thing. Quite possibly."

I think love and food addictions are closely related.

Ever go out with a boyfriend that you knew was cheating on you but you kept going out together?  You were so hooked on his looks and personality that you waited for him to break up with you?

When he did, it left you devastated and you kicked yourself for not believing your friends and family.  It might've taken you months or even years to get over.   Then one day, you wake up and realize how defeating it all was and a huge waste of your life.

That's what food addictions are.   Whether you're dieting, starving, gorging or bingeing...it's a waste of your fabulous life.

You may know to steal hearts, break hearts and win hearts...but did you know -

• Your heart beats about 100,000 times in one day and about 35 million times in a year. During an average lifetime, the human heart will beat more than 2.5 billion times. 

• Give a tennis ball a good, hard squeeze. You're using about the same amount of force your heart uses to pump blood out to the body. Even at rest, the muscles of the heart work hard—twice as hard as the leg muscles of a person sprinting. 

• Feel your pulse by placing two fingers at pulse points on your neck or wrists. The pulse you feel is blood stopping and starting as it moves through your arteries. As a kid, your resting pulse might range from 90 to 120 beats per minute. As an adult, your pulse rate slows to an average of 72 beats per minute. 

• The aorta, the largest artery in the body, is almost the diameter of a garden hose. Capillaries, on the other hand, are so small that it takes ten of them to equal the thickness of a human hair.

• Your body has about 5.6 liters (6 quarts) of blood. This 5.6 liters of blood circulates through the body three times every minute. In one day, the blood travels a total of 19,000 km (12,000 miles)—that's four times the distance across the US from coast to coast.

Your heart is the center of your being.    We need to guard and take care of them.

Years ago, I lived near a man who suffered with Obsessive Compulsive Disorder.  It was difficult to observe his daily routines.   Everything he did was in series of three.

When he came home, he would shut every door on his vehicle three times.  He had a hatchback and he would open and shut it three times.   He would use his keys and lock every door back and forth 3 times.

There were cement stairs from the parking lot down to his house.   This is where the dance would begin.  He would march up and down on each foot - 3 times.   He had to complete the dance in series of 3 on each foot.

Eventually, he would become frozen on the top step.  He would literally have to pick up his leg and move it down to the next step.   The dance would begin again on the second step.   This took a very long time.

I'm a people watcher and curious.  I would sometimes peek out of the corner of my eye as I was walking down the stairs to my house.   If he caught me looking, he would go back to the scene of the vehicle and start the routine from beginning to end....all over again.

I tried very hard not to look.   If he made it down the steps, the routine would begin at his front door.   He would kick the bottom of his door in series of three with his shoes.....3 times on each foot.  Kick.kick.kick....Kick.kick.kick.  Then he would turn his key back and forth in the door in series of 3.   

If anyone walked by and observed his rituals, he would run into his place quickly.   When they were gone, he would go back to the top of the steps and complete his routine exactly as he had to - each and every day.

In the middle of the night, you would see him running around the complex like he was being chased by a monster.   He was driven and it was driving him mad.   It was very bizarre and I felt sorry for his state of mind.

Compulsive eating is similar.  It can drive you mad for an entire lifetime until someone taps you on the shoulder and says, "Hey, you have to snap out of this,  you're sabotaging your health".

It may take you longer than 30 days to snap out of it.   The rewards will be worth it.

Yo-yo or periodic dieting, alternate day fasting and all of the rest.

Kick.kick.kick.....Kick.kick.kick.    

The person with OCD kept it in check all throughout the day.  It was only when he hit the parking lot  that  the dance began.

Compulsive eating/dieting, fasting, bingeing.... are a dance.   There are routines and rituals that are maintained.  Patterns and habits that can be a constant part of someone's lifestyle for a lifetime.

It doesn't have to take you out.   You have a choice.

You can choose everyday to stop the gerbil wheel of compulsive eating and dieting.

Professionals can talk you "off the ledge" so to speak.  They can give you coping tools and new skills can be learned to stop the destructive and endless cycles.

On your way home from work,  you still have to choose.   Making the choice that old habits and patterns are not going to take you out for another day.   When you see the bright drive-thru lights,  beckoning and calling your name...you always have a choice.

When you hit the parking lot after a long day of  work,   you still have to choose.   

Will you do the 'dance' or choose health over habits?

Is something giving you a big pinch?   This must be the first few days of your W30.

It happened to me.  I was overly sensitive and a bawl baby.  "If someone told me I had to start over, I'd throw my book away".    I deleted most of my earlier posts.   Some days, I was throwing a ring-tailed fit.

The Moderators must be very familiar with similar patterns of newbies.   I'm sure they were rolling their eyes and saying, "Oh, brother...not another one today".   Cringeworthy, it makes me want to cover my eyes.  :ph34r: 

I didn't cry or bawl my eyes out over the food changes, but I did while reading the W30 success stories. They spurred me on...each and every day.  I wasn't discussing the W30 with family or friends but I was pouring my heart out on a public forum.

I know folks who are spending $300.00 a month to belong to a weight loss center.   On top of that, they spend additional hard-earned dollars on puddings, shakes, protein "candy" bars and other artificially sweetened goodies.   Everything has artificial sweetners.

You should see the end result.  They appear to have a slight case of mange...with their hair looking like twigs and sunken eyes like dried up blueberries.  They appear as dry as a dog bone.  

When you see someone who's made it to the end of their 30 days, I see radiant health.  Bright eyes, hair that glistens in the sunshine and enormous smiles.   :D 

If you decide to travel on beyond your W30, well, I can't hardly contain myself here.  I'm more than happy that I did.    My family notices that I smile, dance and sing.   

Yesterday, after a hike with my dog...she was worn out.   A good song came on the radio and I was dancing for my dog.   Her head was turning sideways as I was whirling, twirling and clapping my hands.

Oh, I feel good.   I don't remember when I last felt this good.   It almost makes you feel guilty but I slap myself and say "Oh, brother...don't be silly".   This is what "normal" people feel like.   It's exciting.  :D 

rhubarb_ratterrier_mix_04.jpg_w450.jpg

I appreciate the honesty I read on these threads every day.    Honesty is a heady thicket if you've been a closet eater all of your life.   Closet eating creates a cluster of deceptive behaviors and battling with your mind.

Delay

Craft another convince mode

Truth and the lie

Attack the food mode

Decline to answer questions

Refusal to come clean

Spin

Yarns - added details

Sadness

Disgusted

"Today is Your Day" and it's a stinkeroo every which way.

Closet eating will keep you a hostage to your feelings.   It's emotional spending that you cannot afford.

They sneak salt, sugar, and fat into items they market as healthy.

enhanced-buzz-7379-1389219490-0.jpg

Thought your Apple Pecan Chicken Salad was a responsible choice? With 27g of fat, 1350mg of sodium, and 37g of sugar, ...lowest calorie salad is anything but healthy. That’s more fat than their Double Stack burger (25g), more sodium than their 10-Piece Chicken Nuggets (870mg), and more sugar than a Vanilla Frosty Cone (34g).

Archived