Did you find yourself sweeter and kinder after Whole30 reintro?

MeadowLily

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whole9 Moderator/First Whole30 May 2010

• photo-thumb-6.jpg?_r=1403697759
  • Moderators
  • w9team.png
  • 5048 posts
  • LocationAlpharetta, Georgia, USA

It sounds like you tend to use food to help manage stress and anxiety. Lots of people do. Then when you do a Whole30, you take away coping strategies - food as relief, comfort, reward, distraction, etc - but you don't have substitutes. The pressure builds and you then give way to binges. I think the key is to find new coping strategies for dealing with stress and anxiety. When you learn how to use new techniques effectively, I bet the pressure to binge will drop sharply. 

I used to be a mental health counselor.....

Meadow I love this and need to memorize it. Also you gave me the idea to have a smoothie - stomach is still killing me and I'm scared to eat :-( 

Nutrition in 60 Seconds

I eat real food – fresh, natural food like meat, vegetables and fruit.  I choose foods that are nutrient-dense, with lots of naturally occurring vitamins and minerals, over foods that have more calories but less nutrition.  And food quality is important – I’m careful about where my meat, seafood and eggs come from, and buy organic local produce as often as possible.

This is not a “diet” – I eat as much as I need to maintain strength, energy, activity levels and a healthy body weight.  I aim for well-balanced nutrition, so I eat both animals and a significant amount of plants.  I’m not lacking carbohydrates – I just get them from vegetables and fruits instead of bread, cereal or pasta.  And my meals are probably higher in fat than you’d imagine, but fat is a healthy source of energy when it comes from high-quality foods like avocado, coconut and grass-fed beef.

Eating like this is ideal for maintaining a healthy metabolism and reducing inflammation within the body.  It’s good for body composition, energy levels, sleep quality, mental attitude and quality of life.  It helps eliminate sugar cravings and reestablishes a healthy relationship with food.  It also works to minimize your risk for a whole host of lifestyle diseases and conditions, like diabetes, heart attack, stroke and autoimmune.

Planning your reintroduction.....

"Yes. It is much harder to "ride your own bike" than to do a Whole30, in my opinion. I am on my third W30 and ended up totally off track after each of the first two (not immediately, but within 1-2 months. This time I am thinking about making my own set of rules so that I can stay on a healthy track after I finish this round.

It is harder! I set my own rules after Whole30 #2. Just didn't stick to my rules and remain compliant...  :( Doing #3 now."
  •  
"Don't be upset with the results you didn't get from the work you didn't do!!!"

Wise words from another member and I hear them.

The physical processing of the sugar completes within a matter of hours. The emotional processing can take days or even weeks. Whole9 Moderator/First Whole30 May 2010

• photo-thumb-6.jpg?_r=1403697759
  • Moderators
  • w9team.png
  • 5033 posts
  • LocationAlpharetta, Georgia, USA

Do you know the forum rules? Review them at http://forum.whole9l.../6-forum-rules/

I think the value of doing a Whole30 is to begin seeing meat, fish, eggs, veggies, and fruit as the good stuff and to start thinking of everything else as an unavoidable evil that you have to deal with occasionally. 

Browse 400 Whole30-compliant recipes at 

Tom Denham's http://www.wholelifeeating.com

Tiger Blood!

You’ve hit the downhill slope of your Whole30 and life is beautiful—which means different things for different people. For some (generally people who came to the program eating well, exercising regularly, and feeling pretty good to begin with), Tiger Blood means someone flipped a switch and turned on the awesome. Energy is through the roof, cravings are under control, clothes are fitting better, workouts are stronger.

For others, this Tiger Blood stage feels more like a real sense of self-efficacy. It doesn’t mean things are perfect (or even easy), but you’re proving to yourself that you can do this, things are getting better, and you’re seeing improvements (small or large) almost daily. Your energy is steadier, you’ve got a firmer handle on the cravings, and you’re experimenting with new, delicious foods.  You may notice that your ability to focus is keener, your body composition is changing, your moods are more stable, you’re stepping up your exercise, or you’re just plain happier these days.

- See more at: http://whole30.com/2...h.byJutHKE.dpuf

Why I no longer make smoothies, especially with whey....

The other major category of milk protein is whey. Whey is a blend of multiple types of smaller proteins and hormones, including immunoglobulins, insulin, insulin-like growth factor 1 (IGF-1), estrogens, and other growth factors. (Remember, milk is a powerful growth promoter!) For this reason, milk is a highly insulinogenic food, which means that the combination of lactose plus whey dairy proteins causes the release of very large amounts of insulin when consumed.

The remarkably large amount of insulin secreted in response to milk and whey protein intake may prove problematic for those with metabolic syndrome, as in this population, it does not promote a healthy hormonal response. Anyone seeking to improve insulin sensitivity (or avoid becoming insulin resistant) would be best served by avoiding dairy products.

Insulin is not the only potentially detrimental hormone increased by milk. Milk consumption also significantly elevates IGF-1, another powerful growth-inducer. IGF-1 promotes growth in children, but it is also associated with promotion (or indirect facilitation) of various cancers, such as breast, colon, and prostate. Of course, we’re not saying that if you drink milk, you’ll get cancer, but if you’re at high risk, consuming substances that increase the growth of cells, including abnormal cells, seems unwise.

Impact of Binge Eating on Metabolic and Leptin Dynamics in Normal Young Women

Received: September 14, 1998
Accepted: November 10, 1998
Published Online: July 01, 2013

Abstract

Well defined eating disorders such as anorexia nervosa and bulimia are associated with significant known health risks. Although binge eating behavior is increased in unsuccessfully dieting obese women, other health implications of this common eating pattern are unknown. We hypothesized that ingestion of an entire day’s calories at one time in the evening, a common eating practice among Americans, would lead to disruptions in glucose, insulin, and leptin metabolism and in menstrual cyclicity, even in healthy young women.

Seven lean women without a history of eating disorders were studied on two occasions separated by one or two menstrual cycles. During one admission, they ate three regular meals plus a snack on each of 3 days. On the other admission, they ate the same number of calories, macronutrient matched to the normal diet, in a single evening meal. Glucose, insulin, and leptin were measured frequently for 12–14 h beginning at 0800 h on the third day of each diet, and an insulin tolerance test was performed while the subjects were fasting on the fourth day. Daily blood samples were obtained until ovulation was documented to assess any impact on menstrual function.

Ingestion of an entire day’s calories at dinner resulted in a significant increase in fasting glucose levels and a dramatic increase in insulin responses to the evening meal. The diurnal pattern of leptin secretion was altered, such that the gradual rise in leptin from 0800 h observed during the normal diet was abolished, and leptin did not begin to rise during the binge diet until at least 2 h after the evening meal. No changes were demonstrated in insulin sensitivity, follicular growth, or ovulation between the two diets.

We conclude that 1) ingestion of a large number of calories at one time (binge eating) impacts metabolic parameters even when total calories and macronutrients are appropriate for weight; 2) the timing of energy intake is an independent determinant of the diurnal rhythm of leptin secretion, indicating a relatively acute affect of energy balance on leptin dynamics; 3) the mechanism of exaggerated insulin secretion after a binge meal remains to be determined, but may be related to the altered diurnal pattern of leptin secretion; and 4) as most binge eating episodes in the population are associated with the ingestion of excess calories, it is hypothesized that binge eating behavior is associated with even greater metabolic dysfunction than that described herein.

Another binge is not a treatment for a food addiction.

DEAR MELISSA, HOW DO YOU EAT? (PART 2)

MD-at-Costco-book-signing.jpg

15 May, 2014

Welcome to Dear Melissa, where we answer your questions about transitioning into or or maintaining a healthy Whole9 life, helping you figure out how to make this lifestyle work in the real world. Today, we’re answering the #1 question on everyone’s mind, in two part format.

Dear Melissa,

How do you eat?

Love, Everyone

Dear Everyone,

In part 1 of this article, I mentioned that just because I eat this way does not mean you should eat this way. In fact, I think I made myself perfectly clear when I said, “You should not eat what I eat.” If you have to go back and read that article first, please do so before continuing, just so we’re all on the same page.

Now that we’ve got that out of the way, here’s how I eat on a regular basis.

First, my three meals a day are all, with few exceptions, pretty much Whole30. I no longer hold to the “zero added sugar” rule in my day-to-day life—there’s sugar in my ketchup, my maple chicken sausage, and the tamarind sauce I use to make pad thai, and I don’t worry about that one bit, probably because I don’t add sugar to anything. Really, I’ve been racking my brain on this—I don’t use any form of added sweetener at all, except for one dish where I bake salmon in maple syrup, coconut aminos, and ginger.

The meals I prepare at home are grain-free, dairy-free (save butter—I don’t bother to clarify it any more), and legume-free. I follow our meal planning template. I eat a palm-plus of protein with each meal, a heap of vegetables, some fruit (a lot more in summer), and natural fats. So in my daily life, I actually do eat the way we recommend you eat when you’re on the Whole30.

My daily exception is heavy whipping cream in my decaf. We buy pastured, organic cream (usually Strauss brand), and I only use a little, because I don’t like the taste if I use too much. (FYI, I’ve been caffeine-free for just about four years now.)

I don’t sweat eating white rice or white potatoes. If I go out for sushi, I bring my own coconut aminos, but eat rolls with rice. I don’t do French fries very often, but at home we’ll mash or roast our own white potatoes. I have no physical or psychological issues with these foods, and my context would allow me to eat them pretty regularly without any negative metabolic consequences. As such, these are two non-Whole30 foods that have made their way into my general “Whole9 life.”

I avoid gluten unless it’s really, really special. Gluten makes me look pregnant, and makes me sad and anxious for a few days after I eat it. Really. That’s one of the things I figured out by around my fourth Whole30, and most of the time the mental consequences are just not worth it. I don’t eat gluten-free grains like oats or quinoa—I don’t miss them, so I don’t bother to include them in my diet. I’ll eat corn occasionally, usually in the form of hot buttered popcorn or tortilla chips with salsa and guacamole. Popcorn is of my favorite treats, and I use an entire stick of butter in each bowl. Literally. Lately, I’ve noticed if I eat corn too frequently I’m prone to a histamine response (hives), so I keep my intake limited—popcorn no more than once a week.

b9bcbe742ac60a7e9d9afe.L._V138252864_SX2

I always avoid soy. It’s just not worth the potential downsides. I’ll eat peanuts occasionally, but only if they really add to the meal (like the green papaya salad at our favorite sushi restaurant). I avoid all cheese—soft cheese like the plague. Goat cheese makes me feel like I have an alien in my belly. I would politely decline a dish containing goat cheese even if it was lovingly prepared by the Pope, Oprah, or Ryan Reynolds. (I’d be sad about that last one, though.)

I never drink milk, eat cottage cheese, or yogurt. I used to do a pastured, organic, plain sheep’s milk yogurt, but then I figured out it wasn’t okay for my digestive tract. Dairy and I just don’t agree, which makes it really easy to not miss it.

Needless to say, I never, ever eat pizza.

I don’t drink alcohol much anymore. It’s practically never worth it, as even small amounts make me feel like junk the next day. I maybe have one beverage every month or two. It’s almost always Prosecco with a splash of St. Germain, because it’s delicious and makes me feel glamorous. I rarely finish the glass and I never order two.

We never bake, Paleo or otherwise. It’s not because we feel like we have to live up to our anti-SWYPO reputation, it’s because we’re just not into baked goods—never have been. Cookies, muffins, breads, or pancakes just don’t do it for Dallas or me. Honestly. Meh. We’ve made a Paleo banana bread a few times when we have company over, and once I made sweet potato brownies for a Christmas party. Oh, and Dallas made one batch of Paleo pancakes one morning when his Mom was visiting. They were okay. Thus ends our illustrious Paleo baking career.

I will indulge when something amazingly delicious or special comes along, but I don’t plan for these things, like “Oh, on Sunday I’ll let myself eat something delicious.” I keep on eating as normal until something so special or so gorgeous comes along that I make a conscious decision right there on the spot that it’s worth it to indulge.

dandmsidebar.png

Sometimes it happens three times a week, sometimes it won’t happen for a few weeks in a row. Usually I will have only a small amount. I often don’t even finish the “treat,” because I’m the person who can legitimately just have a few bites and leave the rest if I feel satisfied. I know you hate me for that, but I have other issues, I assure you.

The most S.A.D. thing I’ve eaten in the last month are Cadbury Crème Eggs. They’re not even close to real food, but I love them because my Mom always put them in my Easter basket and I find the texture incredible, so I’ve decided they’re worth it. When I eat one, I savor it. I eat it slowly, I don’t apologize (even though Dallas thinks they’re gross), and I am still just as happy with myself after eating it as I was before I peeled the wrapper.

So there you have it—this is what I eat. Post thoughts, questions, or gasps of horror that I’m not Whole30 all the time to comments.

Best in health,
Melissa

Melissa-Hartwig-2.jpg

- See more at: http://whole30.com/2014/05/dear-melissa-eat-part-2/#sthash.TlDFD2ES.dpuf

This is one of my favorite replies by Melissa.

Whole9 Head Diesel

• photo-thumb-3.jpg?_r=0
  • Administrators
  • w9team.png
  • 449 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, UT
Wow - what a testimonial. We are so happy you were able to use the Whole30 for your own purposes, to find what you were looking for in your own life (clarity, security, independence, awareness). No two programs are the same, and we always love hearing from people who veer outside the typical weightloss-energy-performanceinthegym results to embrace something bigger than we ever intended.

Well done.

Melissa 

Lies We Tell Ourselves

"People typically don’t brag about their dedication to cocaine, or their disciplined daily alcohol consumption. These behaviors (excessive drug use or drinking) can bring upon bona fide addictions, and literally destroy health, happiness, and quality of life.

But what about other addictions—unhealthy obsessions that masquerade as conscientiousness, dedication, devotion to something “healthy?” How often do you hear people proudly telling others about their obsession with the gym, their ever-progressively restrictive dietary protocols, or the fact that they’re tied to their Blackberries 24/7?

“It’s called 
discipline
.”

“I’m more driven than the average person.”

“Obsessed is a word used by the lazy to describe the dedicated.”

stressaddict1.jpg Stress and Justification

These are the things people will tell themselves when their behaviors around food, exercise, or work creep from healthy dedication to unhealthy obsession—and even addiction. They may use these pithy statements or pieces of “fitspiration” to justify their behavior—behavior you suspect has crossed the line from healthy to damaging. They do so because the stress levels they have created feel so good they can’t fathom not continuing this behavior at this pace. (These are the people who would never voluntarily take a week off from exercise, take a vacation without their laptop, or indulge in a slice of cake at their sister’s wedding.)

You may even fall into the trap of admiring these people—looking up to them, because their actions and justifications suggest that you should.

“Jenny is amazing—she’s had a cold all week, and still shows up for the 5 a.m. workout.”

“Chris has worked every single weekend for the last three months straight—he’s such a superstar.”

“Jessica is so committed to her diet—she’s not even eating fruit anymore, because of the sugar. I wish I had her willpower.”

stressaddict4.jpg Don’t Be Fooled

What you have to understand is that this behavior is not healthy, it’s not admirable, and it doesn’t make you stronger/better/more dedicated. It makes you sick. It makes you a stress addict, with disrupted hormonal and inflammatory feedback loops. (We’ll explain exactly how this works in future articles.)

This is not healthy behavior.

And don’t be fooled by the smoke-and-mirrors these folks will use to make you feel bad for even questioningwhether their behavior is healthy or not.

“You’re just jealous. You wish you could stick to your diet like I can.”

“Days off are for lazy people with no drive.”

“You sleep nine hours a night? Imagine how productive you could be if you weren’t sleeping in so much!”

Because chances are, if you’re in the middle of this cycle, you’re not willing to admit it. At all. In fact, you’re probably pretty angry just reading this article. You probably think we just don’t understand how truly dedicated/devoted/motivated/tough you really are. You probably think that because you’re getting fitter, losing weight, getting promoted, that all your hard work is paying off—and normal people just can’t comprehend what it’s like to have the discipline to work as hard as you.

stressaddict3.jpg

The Vicious Loop of Stress Addiction

Of course, you’d be wrong. You’re not super-human, or elite, or gifted with an uncommon amount of willpower. You’re just stuck in the vicious cycle of a stress addiction loop. Because for a really long time, the stress you are creating for yourself feels really good. Which makes you think that what you’re doing is good for you. But it’s not, because your behavior is creating inflammation in your brain and disrupting your brain chemistry, adrenals, thyroid, and probably sex hormones, too. And pretty soon, you’ll be in a position where the only way you can feel normal (not even happy, just normal) is to create just a little more stress for yourself. And then more. And then even more. (Does this sound like an addiction concept called “tolerance?”) And the more you perpetuate this behavior, the more your health, happiness, and quality of life take a sharp decline.

You’ll be depressed, or barely keeping the depression at bay. You’ll be anxious. You’ll be irritable and irrational. You’ll start feeling like things are moving too fast, that you’re barely keeping up, that it’s all unraveling quickly. You’ll feel more isolated, so you’ll be less social. And the only thing that will keep you feeling even remotely like yourself is more of the same stress-inducing behavior.

Because at this point, you need it.

stressaddict2.jpg Practice Real Dedication

We’re not saying that everyone who exercises, works hard at their job, or tries to eat healthy is obsessed. Just like not everyone who has a glass of wine is an alcoholic, there’s a line that some people cross and others do not. But we do take serious issue with these “fitspiration” gems that suggest that addiction or obsession is to be admired—and that those who don’t push themselves to that extreme are simply not dedicated, motivated, or tough enough.

Real dedication is taking time to rest and recover when you need it. It’s creating a healthy relationship with food, such that you are able to enjoy a night out or a special meal without guilt, remorse, or  punishment. It’s finding a balance between furthering your career, and enjoying the quality of life that your job affords you and your family. Real dedication is knowing when to ask for help, acknowledging when you’re in over your head, and admitting when you need a break. That’s real dedication—and the kind of behavior that we all should be encouraged to emulate.

Do you fear your own behavior has gone from healthy dedication to unhealthy obsession? Do you know someone who needs to slow down and change their behaviors, but hides behind a curtain of “dedication” and “devotion?” Share your thoughts in comments."

Archived