I am on my second whole30, and this same thing has happened to me both times!  At about day 5 of my whole30, I get shooting, cramping "bone pains" in my shins, thighs and hips that last for about a week then go away....They are hard to explain but kind of feel like "growing pains"  

Does this mean that I'm missing some key nutrient? Or is this a sign of sugar detox or something like that?  Has anyone else experienced this?! HELP!

I used to get muscle cramps in my feet and calves during gym work pre-whole 30, and also dull aching pains in my legs at night. It may not by the same issue as I didn't have shooting pains (apart from mid-cramp!) but I believe my issues were solved by supplementing with magnesium. In Aus we have Blackmores brand magnesium powder with amino acids, it's the easily absorbed form (mag citrate). I don't think it is Whole30 approved as it definitely tastes like it has artificial sweeteners in it (the website/package doesn't have any info so I erred on the side of caution and avoided it during whole30). You could also try Epsom salts baths and absorb the magnesium that way.

Anyway I hope that helps, must be very concerning and painful  :(

• 3 weeks later...

I'm in my first Whole 30.  I had pain in my legs, too.  It was muscle pain, but not like being sore after a workout.  It was a widespread, almost faint burning pain.  It persisted for about a week and then in the afternoon of Day 11 I felt what was like a fog burning off... the beginnings of tiger blood?  The leg pains were gone after that.  I am considering getting the Natural Calm to make sure magnesium levels are not a factor for the remainder of the W30.

• 2 years later...

's sugar withdrawals. I'm blown away that in every post I've seen regarding muscle aches not one person had actually named the problem. Just like drugs your body goes through a withdrawal period. Headaches and body aches are the number one symptom. Sugar is addicting and "getting off of it" has its problems. The symptoms can last from five days to four weeks but eventually you rid your body of the toxins and your body begins to heal. It does make it harder to stick with it but know that once you're no longer going through withdrawals you'll feel the best you ever have. Just don't relapse because it will start all over (I've been there done that). Good luck to whoever reads this.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived