Fast food chain salads

Dinho7

Hello all

I am thrilled about starting my first Whole30 on Monday. I have read the book and I am doing some preparation work in order to have better grounds of actually making it through Day 30.

What I am wondering is if salads from chains like Wendys and Pollo Tropical is allowed in the Whole30 lifestyle?

This might be a stupid question, but I dont want to mess up the whole effort by picking the wrong meal once. According to what I read in the book, salads and grilled chicken meat should be just fine. I am more worried about the sauces (such as raspberry vinaigrette, fatty caesar dressing etc.)

Of course, I prefer to make my own meal (so many delicious healthy recipes in the book and elsewhere!), but it wouldve been great to rely on cheap restaurant meals once in a while.

Here are a few links to their salad and soup menus:

https://www.wendys.com/en-us/salads

http://pollotropical.com/menu-group/salads-and-soups/

Thoughts?

Typically not. The fact that neither of these websites list ingredients on their products make me nervous. Grilled chicken is very often more than just grilled chicken at fast food places. Panera's chicken is 10 ingredients long...

Your best fast food option is chipotle carnitas, iirc.

Most of the dressings have HFCS - some form of high fructose corn syrup.   I have one on my fridge door that needs to be thrown.

Ready?   

Apple Balsamic Dressing

Soybean Oil ...Bing

Sugar......Badda boom badda bing

Apple Cider vinegar

Apple Juice concentrate

Balsamic Vinegar

Shallots

EVOO

Bacon flavor with yeast extract

Salt

Sugar...again!

Bacon fat

Smoke flavor

Salt...again!

Distilled white vinegar

Onion juice

Mustard seed

Salt....again!

White wine flavor

Citric acid

Okey dokey.   That's a nice chemical soup in a 1 oz packet.    

I can't read the calories as the numbers are too tiny.  Spreading salt and sugars out over a label...

The chicken is probably processed like Jamie Oliver's chicken nugget video...more salt.  The small smidgeon of fruit probably has some preservative so it doesn't turn brown.   

I don't want to rain on your parade.   I don't know what a Pollo Tropical is, it may be better.  Maybe they have a food detail listing so you can read the ingredients.

• Moderators

I can tell you right now, a grilled chicken salad at McDonalds is a no go. And the dressing is generally made with soy oil.

GRILLED CHICKEN FILLET: Ingredients: Chicken Breast Fillet with Rib Meat, Water, Seasoning (Rice Starch, Salt, Sugar, Yeast Extract, Canola Oil, Onion Powder, Maltodextrin, Chicken Skin, Paprika, Flavor, Sunflower Oil, Chicken, Garlic Powder, Chicken Fat, Spices), Sodium Phosphates.

Best thing for a road trip is to pack your own cooler. A good read: http://whole9life.com/2011/07/whats-in-your-cooler/

Archived