Food Combining

Deb.

This has been haunting me for a while. 

Remember the old days of Fit for Life? Where you only ate fruit by itself and NEVER with anything else? 

And you never combined protein and starch ever ever? 

It kinda made sense to me that we would be able to digest things more easily that way although I never got into the science behind it. 

Yet on W30 we gobble down protein, carbs and fruit altogether, all the time. 

Personally, I love fruit with meat, its one of my favorite things. But are we breaking all the digestive rules here? 

Moderators, what say you? 

• Moderators

How can I say this delicately? Hmm. Wait, delicate is not my style... Concerns about food combining are 97 percent nonsense. Don't ask me which 3 percent is valid; I'm just leaving a little room for something because saying anything is complete nonsense is a bit extreme. :)

• Moderators

Hi Deb, I'm no moderator, but this is something I've pondered as well, but from an Ayurvedic perspective that suggests a similar food combining framework to help build digestive fire and minimize toxins. I think the basic template: animal protein+veg+fat adheres to any good digestion guidelines. Starchy veg may function slightly differently than grains, for example, when combined with meat in the gut. Personally, I tend to eat fruit at the beginning of a meal and wait a little bit before hitting the straight template since fruit digests so much more quickly than other foods.

Of course, lots of folks think all such things are hogwash, and to each his own. My best guess why the Hartwigs excluded such details (if they don't think they're hogwash) is a) the straight template comes pretty dang close, and B) can you imagine folks signing up for an even more restrictive plan than W30? ;)

I sort of like the logic in food combining or excluding... And in blood type diets to match your immune system strengths. But then my common sense prevails... Millions of our ancestors ate what was available and thrived... Otherwise we wouldn't be here... So while it sounds like a logical hypothesis, its really irrelevant to the normal person

I can put my two cents in on food combining. I have been dealing with IBS, intestinal permeability, and SIBO. What a combination...anyway...my holistic nutritionist had me doing food combining. In the beginning I felt a little difference...but with having autoimmune thyroid problems on top of what I mentioned above...I am not sure it was the right course of action. She knew my medical history, but never mentioned a possible low FODMAP or AIP. I am on day 15 of the whole30 and have seen/felt improvements in my energy levels and a few other things...but I still have inflammation and brain fog...so I know I will be extending my whole30 and trying AIP. I decided to seek out the care/advice I did...but surprised on my course of treatment. I found the whole30 on my own! :-)

Archived